Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 AM

567 posts, read 498,869 times

Advertisements

Thanks god i live in Australia where Sydney’s public transport is clean and I got 4 weeks off to travel anywhere I want )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM

16,382 posts, read 10,427,718 times
It takes you an hour to go 5 miles on public transit? That's way slow, even by the rather dismal standards of most American transit systems. Why is it so slow? Do you have to transfer and the connections aren't coordinated? Does the bus (I'm assuming it's a bus) follow an out-of-the-way routing?

Have you explored other areas in your city that would offer you a shorter, more direct ride to your place of employment? It wouldn't help with the other issues you've raised, but finding a quicker ride to work might at least make that part of your life more tolerable.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:25 AM

9,317 posts, read 14,227,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereibelong View Post
It has been weighing on me lately. Does anyone else feel the same? Is there anyone out there (or boards that you can direct me to about this topic) who has relocated to Europe and what the good and bad is about it? I'm new here, so thanks for reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I started to feel that way in the US in about 1994. In 1996, I immigrated to Denmark (for a job).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Yeah America has turned into a meme at this point.

Yes, the US is a meme if you have simply an average job and file your income taxes via a W-2. In that case, you are better off in Europe, if you can.

US is better if you actually pursue the "American" dream as designed from the beginning: your own business, successful enough to save and invest further, filing your income taxes via Schedules B, C, D, and E.

OP, if the above short-hand code does not meaningfully answer all your questions, then not worth discussing further, and you are better off in Europe, if you can.

Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:41 AM

61,399 posts, read 86,335,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's pretty impressive that a random customs person knew your city-data nickname!
Yeah! I noticed it too. Fascinating!!!

BTW: in the last 30 years I observed a fundamental change: America that used to be a land of opportunity, has become a land of opportunists...

It's hard to argue with this:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5208374

Last edited by elnina; 06-25-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,844,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

BTW: in the last 30 years I observed a fundamental change: America that used to be a land of opportunity, has become a land of opportunists...

This is what I see as well.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:29 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,708,244 times
America is not isolated in a way that people from all over the world keep coming.

Even small cities in the Midwest have many recent immigrants from Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America...
However, American families are pretty much isolated from these people. Friendship, marriage, or even careers are not mutually involved to a large extent. Very few Americans bother to learn a foreign language up to fluency.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 5,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It takes you an hour to go 5 miles on public transit? That's way slow, even by the rather dismal standards of most American transit systems. Why is it so slow? Do you have to transfer and the connections aren't coordinated? Does the bus (I'm assuming it's a bus) follow an out-of-the-way routing?

Have you explored other areas in your city that would offer you a shorter, more direct ride to your place of employment? It wouldn't help with the other issues you've raised, but finding a quicker ride to work might at least make that part of your life more tolerable.
Yes, it is a bus. There's only one major road into the city where I am, and the buses do not have their own bus lanes, so it has to sit in the traffic. There's tens of thousands of people coming in on that road. Heck, for whatever reason it's jammed at 2pm leaving the city every day. I have considered moving to another part of the city but, idk I'm not ready to waste money on a deposit/first month rent/moving costs, etc. But yes, the commute is a big part of my stress. I try to keep myself sane by reminding myself that it is the cheapest option.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM

2,597 posts, read 2,294,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's pretty impressive that a random customs person knew your city-data nickname!
Quote:

Hopefully, the customs person knew the nick-name due to the C-D poster communicating it in some way in the past rather than learning it by snooping around.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,384,695 times
Quote:

Convergence of the demise of the nuclear home, rolling back of laws that protected middle and lower class workers, and the rest of the world is much more economically competitive, increasing price of resources like oil and forcing many American workers to compete with foreign workers.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,384,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
America is not isolated in a way that people from all over the world keep coming.

Even small cities in the Midwest have many recent immigrants from Asia, Africa, Europe, Latin America...
However, American families are pretty much isolated from these people. Friendship, marriage, or even careers are not mutually involved to a large extent. Very few Americans bother to learn a foreign language up to fluency.
In the 18th and 19th centuries USA drew immigrants from world's most affluent nations like Germany and Japan. Today they mostly come from the poorest nations like Guatemala or Somalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World