Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does it feel like to be a visible minority in the USA?
I feel at a higher safety risk 17 38.64%
I feel there is no difference 27 61.36%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 10:32 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
As a Black man born and raised in America, i resent the use of the term's "visible " and "minority " to classify one's status. The word "minority" is a derivative of the word "minor," which from Latin means less, lesser, inferior, less important, underage, ect., all terms that reduce our status. Underage would suggest that as a people, we would be in need of supervision, like a unruly 2 year old in need of direction, see where im going with this? So please people let's stop referring to ourselves with label's that have been created for us.
Fellow Black man here. While I'm sure we would agree on many things, let's not try and pick apart vocabulary too much. In this context of minority, the less and lesser parts apply as they relate to numbers. We are less in population than the majority; lesser numbers of us are present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well that's one interpretation. Really it just referring to demographics and isn't a particularly charged phrase in its land of origin, Canada, where the OP comes from. She was using the terminology she was familiar with for discussing these ideas in our home country because for most of us those are the words we know. I understand that it isn't the common nomenclature in the US, but as a Canadian visible minority myself I hope you'll understand that it isn't meant to be offensive. In our context, it is a distinct idea from "Person of Colour" in that it excludes all indigenous peoples with ancestral origins in Canada.
The term "visible minority" isn't used in the U.S., but the term "minority" is. At its base, it's used in the numerical sense; a "minority" is someone whose race is, collectively speaking, fewer than that of the race whose members are in the majority. In practice, it's come to mean "non-white," since whites are the majority in the United States. (At least for now; I'm not sure if the terminology will change once this is no longer true.)

Unfortunately, this has given rise to some mathematically-odd sentences, such as "Minorities make up the majority in this area." Perhaps this is the reason that the phrase "person (people) of color" has arisen. I don't have any particular problem with this phrase, except for the absurdity that "person of color" is OK but "colored person" is considered outdated at best, insulting at worse. (Also, if we're being literalistic, isn't white a color too?)

Honestly, I never knew that anyone found the term "minority" itself to be offensive. I would be curious as to what term such a person might prefer, when describing someone's membership in a group whose total population is numerically in the minority.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The term "visible minority" isn't used in the U.S., but the term "minority" is. At its base, it's used in the numerical sense; a "minority" is someone whose race is, collectively speaking, fewer than that of the race whose members are in the majority. In practice, it's come to mean "non-white," since whites are the majority in the United States. (At least for now; I'm not sure if the terminology will change once this is no longer true.)

Unfortunately, this has given rise to some mathematically-odd sentences, such as "Minorities make up the majority in this area." Perhaps this is the reason that the phrase "person (people) of color" has arisen. I don't have any particular problem with this phrase, except for the absurdity that "person of color" is OK but "colored person" is considered outdated at best, insulting at worse. (Also, if we're being literalistic, isn't white a color too?)

Honestly, I never knew that anyone found the term "minority" itself to be offensive. I would be curious as to what term such a person might prefer, when describing someone's membership in a group whose total population is numerically in the minority.
^^^This. Said what I tried to say, only better

Old 08-13-2018, 02:50 PM

160 posts, read 104,085 times
Look, I don't think anyone is confused about the context in which the word (minority is being used here. I think its always healthy to be objective about label's being givin to large group's of people. If you look up the etymology of the word (minority) it is less than flattering in the historical sense. (see Indians being used to describe Native Americans). Also i rarely hear the (majority) of Americans refer to their continent of orgin to describe themselves, so i would think that exsisting in a land for over 400 years earn's you the right to be called American just like everyone else who was born and (immigrated) here. As for how we should refer to our outnumbered population well that could be up for debate, thus why i like the premise of this forum.

Last edited by Bellside High; 08-13-2018 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellside High View Post
Look, I don't think anyone is confused about the context in which the word (minority is being used here. I think its always healthy to be objective about label's being givin to large group's of people. If you look up the etymology of the word (minority) it is less than flattering in the historical sense. (see Indians being used to describe Native Americans). Also i rarely hear the (majority) of Americans refer to their continent of orgin to describe themselves, so i would think that exsisting in a land for over 400 years earn's you the right to be called American just like everyone else who was born and (immigrated) here. As for how we should refer to our outnumbered population well that could be up for debate, thus why i like the premise of this forum.
I agree with part of this. The part that anyone who's been here for as long as we have are as American as anyone else.

The majority doesn't refer to themselves by continent because they know what specific ethnicity and country of origin they are from. Problem with Black Americans is 1. where slaves were taken from often were not countries yet as we know them but were destroyed societies made into colonies. 2. Everything was done to erase any knowledge and history of it. The most we have is the continent and this has created its own problems within Black American culture.

Now, there is a difference in the way a word is defined in a dictionary and how it is used in actual context. No one speaks directly out of a dictionary. If not minority, then what other word would you like to see used to describe something that is numerically fewer than those which/whom outnumber them?

Old 08-19-2018, 01:38 AM

25 posts, read 27,410 times
Depends on the area. Any race can be considered a minority depending on the state or city.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesXII View Post
Depends on the area. Any race can be considered a minority depending on the state or city.

Or religion.

Old 08-19-2018, 04:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Talk is cheap.

You should consider that when getting your impressions of American race relations from social media and a mainstream media that is concerned with placating the domestic grudges of the citizens of their own countries "Don't worrry, we in ________ are fine. Look at the mess in America!!!"

America's race relations problems are real, but the depictions of them in media, especially outside the US, are tabloidal in nature at best, propagandistic at worst.
I have scanned the entire thread and don't see where what I have put in bold might have been commented upon. ABQConvict may be the best person as he brought up the example.

I emigrated from the U.S. to Madeira (briefly) and then mainland Europe almost twenty years ago. I cannot say that what I put in bold is the case where I live. I watch a lot of TV news because it is always playing when I eat out, and I eat out morning and noon. News about U.S. race problems is extremely rare, I have seen a few articles in the newspapers that I read. I've seen nothing "tabloidal" or "propagandistic," but I certainly do not read all the newspapers by any means, and I early on stopped reading national English newspapers as practically across the board they are like used toilet paper from front to back.

What are some of the countries and media the poster had in mind? The statement (to me) implies that this is a consistent phenonmenon "outside the US."

I read postings about how rife Europe is with anti-American behavior, yet I have lived in two countries and traveled to several others, including Turkey, and do not stay in top drawer "safe" tourist places, but not once have I encountered anti-American behavior.

Thus, on this topic - or the above comment rather - I am curious about where it happens, what media, and how often.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:46 AM

622 posts, read 427,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That people of all races have essentially the same opportunities for achieving success and prospering in America. There is arguably no other society with as much economic opportunity for everybody as America.

It is irrelevant whether you're white, asian, black, hispanic, etc. Nobody is a "victim" in America. Everybody is treated equally and given the same standard of justice, to the extent that this is possible in a free society. This is as close to a colorblind society as you will find.

Every individual is personally responsible for obeying laws, following the rules and working hard to improve their economic situation and becoming a part of the middle class. Only you are responsible for your failure or your success.
You are right at that, you are a new country and you are not as full of air as older European and Asian countries. Take into account that in many European countries there are regional feuds and in some cases people from those regions are considered lesser than immigrants. Old countries are parochial, the US is eons in the future. The US will last longer as Europe is running out of inhabitants, even with the arrival of high numbers of immigrants, countries like Italy, Spain and Germany will perish in 50 years.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 AM

27,453 posts, read 1,054,777 times
I voted that I feel there is no difference, only because I was reared to think that way, and that is how I try to carry myself, but I can never get around the idea that people see me as representative of a group that tolerates crime, violence and other assorted negatives.

Yes, I feel like an other when someone who looks like me commits a crime, is violent, is unfair, is a leech, and I am concerned about how that will affect how others treat me.

I wonder how many "visible minorities" also had trouble voting for one choice or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World