Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "American Riviera" vs French Riviera
"American Riviera" 9 14.52%
French Riviera 41 66.13%
I like them both -- tie 10 16.13%
I don't like either -- tie 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 02:24 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I’m curious as to whether the French Riviera has better overall service than the OP’s American Riviera definition.
Many more trains, going to many more places in Europe. It's really not a contest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I don’t know, man, the mix of Mexican, East Asian, and Southeast Asian cuisines and the combinations they have in southern California makes for pretty spectacular eating.
You can find those in southern France as well. Not as common, and except for Indian, not as authentic IMO as you find in the US and Canada. I had the WEIRDEST " Mexican " meal there once.

However, the overall quality of food in southern France is higher. Yes there are some touristy restaurants and cafes to avoid, but some of the best eating happens here. Even a simple thing like a cup of coffee ( I like a cafe creme in the morning ) in a small cafe is done right.

There is a certain cache in service. You order a beer, you get the proper type of glass for that beer. You order a wine, same thing, and on and on. Depending on where you are, always find out what the local speciality is.

You have to remember that the food and drink culture here is centuries old, not meaning the don't serve modern foods, but in France they take food very seriously.

Now if you were to ask me would I live there full time just for the food no. Like you mentioned, I prefer Vancouver's new world mix of cuisines. I'd miss the variety of what we have here. Although in places like Paris, you can find pretty much everything.

Last edited by Natnasci; 06-15-2020 at 02:42 PM..

Old 06-15-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup Marseille is very well connected by train, that's for sure! But the Riviera begins east of it, somewhere between Cassis and St Tropez depending on the definitions (the most conservative ones only taking in Nice county, so even excluding the likes of Cannes and Antibes!). Essentially I see it as the coast around Nice. Nice-Marseille is around 2h40 by train.
The old milk run. For tourists who don't want the hassle and costs of a car, the train is a good alternative.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:38 PM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
What about the Redneck Riviera, from Gulfport MS to Panama FL?

Old 06-15-2020, 05:41 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You can find those in southern France as well. Not as common, and except for Indian, not as authentic IMO as you find in the US and Canada. I had the WEIRDEST " Mexican " meal there once.
Funny that you mentioned "except for Indian". Some of the best Indian meals I had were in a local restaurant when I lived on the Riviera. But God that vindaloo was hot. Definitely what I'd call authentic.

Local specialties, when made the right way, are spectacular, even if they're nowhere as pompous as French cuisine seems to be portrayed abroad. Petits farcis, daube niçoise, one of the numerous seafood specialties or a lil pan bagnat or pissaladière for lunch! Mmh. The proximity to Italy makes for a fine Italian dining scene as well, and you are a hop away from the real deal anyway. One thing that makes me cringe is the numerous restaurants aimed at tourists promoting moules-frites in the Vieux Nice. Nothing wrong with that but I bet a lot of visitors leave assuming it's the quintessential niçois dish.

One thing that you can almost only get if you cross the Italian (or Spanish) border, is proper hot chocolate. The hot chocolate they serve at a random rest area on an Italian motorway is almost guaranteed to be better than what they'd serve you at the fanciest café on this side of the Alps.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Yup Marseille is very well connected by train, that's for sure! But the Riviera begins east of it, somewhere between Cassis and St Tropez depending on the definitions (the most conservative ones only taking in Nice county, so even excluding the likes of Cannes and Antibes!). Essentially I see it as the coast around Nice. Nice-Marseille is around 2h40 by train.
I see--is the Nice-Marseille line at least frequent? I did a bit looking around online and saw there are plans to build a new rail line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGV_Pr...%B4te_d%27Azur

Old 06-15-2020, 07:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Quote:
I don’t know, man, the mix of Mexican, East Asian, and Southeast Asian cuisines and the combinations they have in southern California makes for pretty spectacular eating.
That is all fast food though.

Quote:

However, the overall quality of food in southern France is higher. Yes there are some touristy restaurants and cafes to avoid, but some of the best eating happens here. Even a simple thing like a cup of coffee ( I like a cafe creme in the morning ) in a small cafe is done right.

There is a certain cache in service. You order a beer, you get the proper type of glass for that beer. You order a wine, same thing, and on and on. Depending on where you are, always find out what the local speciality is.

You have to remember that the food and drink culture here is centuries old, not meaning the don't serve modern foods, but in France they take food very seriously.

Now if you were to ask me would I live there full time just for the food no. Like you mentioned, I prefer Vancouver's new world mix of cuisines. I'd miss the variety of what we have here. Although in places like Paris, you can find pretty much everything.
There is mexican in France? Interesting, love to taste their take on Latin cuisine.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

There is mexican in France? Interesting, love to taste their take on Latin cuisine.
It’s not all fast food. That’s sort of absurd to say. There is fast food of those cuisines in Southern California and then there’s dine-in restaurants and fine dining establishments of those and other cuisines. That seems like a major differentiator which comes with the territory of being both much more diverse and much more populous.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-15-2020 at 09:00 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

There is.

My experience was years ago and so hopefully things have improved. I have my doubts, but perhaps someone who has sampled some more recently can tell us. My experience was 20 years ago. I never tried Mexican again in France...especially since I travel to Mexico and get the real deal.

The tortilla's were more like crepes for example. My memory is a bit foggy, but the overall impression was that it was more French than Mexican. One odd thing they did, was serve a tequila shot before dinner, like an aperitif. It wasn't straight tequila but mixed with lime juice and soda water, since it was fizzy. The server would slam the glass down hard on the table, spilling most of it. I didn't have the heart to tell them, that it's the person who drinks the shot that slams it down after finishing. Whereas, I believe, most Mexicans sip their tequila and shots are mainly a tourist thing??

Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
There is.

My experience was years ago and so hopefully things have improved. I have my doubts, but perhaps someone who has sampled some more recently can tell us. My experience was 20 years ago. I never tried Mexican again in France...especially since I travel to Mexico and get the real deal.

The tortilla's were more like crepes for example. My memory is a bit foggy, but the overall impression was that it was more French than Mexican. One odd thing they did, was serve a tequila shot before dinner, like an aperitif. It wasn't straight tequila but mixed with lime juice and soda water, since it was fizzy. The server would slam the glass down hard on the table, spilling most of it. I didn't have the heart to tell them, that it's the person who drinks the shot that slams it down after finishing. Whereas, I believe, most Mexicans sip their tequila and shots are mainly a tourist thing??
From the description, I'm sort of hoping things stayed exactly the same. Sounds fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World