Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:52 AM

587 posts, read 423,610 times

Advertisements

So different.

Nice thing about the UK is its dense and compact, so you can easily go from one city to another on train within a few hours.
The population density in general is greater- London of course is crowded, but even going into a "small city" in the UK there is usually a healthy amount of people out & about (on foot) in the town centRes/ or "high street" as they call it..the scale of things are smaller/ older

I love the buzz & feeling of London. Sorry I def prefer it over NYC.

Totally different vibe compared to the US. Different demographics, clearly different parts of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravani View Post
I am not exactly sure who Milley is, neither I understand why you are calling me that name.

I am not saying the UK is ugly, or that it doesnt have nice places.

I am just saying the UK is not as important to the everyday American as a lot of British seem to think it is.

Yeah, you colonized our 13 original states on the eastern seaboard, and France colonized all of the midwest and the Spanish colonized the West, and Russians colonized Alaska. We get that, but we are different from you, we do not dislike you, but you are not special in our hearts either, we mostly feel neutral towards you it's what I am trying to say.

I am sure some American somewhere loves the UK, but it's not a common thing, we have heritages and ancestries and our focus when it comes to places outside the US, tends to be those places where our ancestors came from, we speak English, we get it, but that does not mean we are British 2.0, nor it means the UK is very relevant in our lives.
It's Irene not Milly and I think you know full well why I am calling you that name.

Whilst I am saying the US does not consume our daily thoughts, it's a country over 4,000 miles away that we don't even play much sport with.

You are right we did own 13 states and fight a war, however if you study history in the UK, then the US is a sidenote in relation to a much bigger conflict and struggle between Britain and France. The US isn't even seen as an important part of our own British History.

As for being special in your hearts no one cares, it's you that needs to get over yourself, and as I have already explained the British have a long history and indeed special relationship with a lot of countries.

No one has ever suggested you are British and I shouldn't imagine we are relevant to daily life in the US given we are many thousands of miles away.

You are just repeating yourself over and over again, although we get it, you don't feel anything towards the UK and feel neutral which is exactly what we wrre during the Vietnam War.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:53 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
I am just being honest. (And I am sure a lot of Americans agree with me), your media and political figures talk about us non-stop, but on this side of the pond (As you say), we truly don't really think that much about you.
OK Mr. honest high and mighty. We get it, the lives of us Brits revolve around you in "America" non-stop talking about everything "American". Thank you for the insight into our lives.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Oh dear. Is this starting to become a contest about who regards the other as less relevant to them.

The UK is not very relevant to peoples lives in the US and the USA is not an important part of British History and does not consume the thoughts of the British.

So another thing the UK and US have in common perhaps.
Perhaps the thread could find it's conclusion here?!

Old 09-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Actually I differ

i have met tons of British, especially English who seem to think the US is an extension of England, or England across the ocean.
I live in the UK and most people are more interested in watching us play sport with the rest of the world than they are with the US.

We have very close sporting rivalries with Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, West Indies etc as well as close rivalries with many European countries.

We also travel a lot in Europe, and have close historical ties with much of Europe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravani

i also met plenty of disillusioned British who come to America and are often shocked when they realize how different America is from anything in the UK.
It depends where you go in the US, and I have never been shocked, indeed going to the US is not radically shocking like going to a third world or going to other parts of the world. Tokyo takes more of an adjustment than say NYC and I feel quite at home in parts of the North East of the US and indeed parts of Canada.

Quote:
When the vice-president of our last administration went to France and said, America and France share a special relationship, the British press went crazy, much to the amusement of the American press and the White House because they just did't understand why the British press and its political figures were so mad. Later we learned it was because he said Special Relationship. (it seems the British think it's an exclusive thing) it is not.
Britain has very strong historic ties with the French, we are even in the Lancaster House Treaties with them which has seen the establishment of joint military units and we work together on lots of different issues. I am sure France does have a special relationship with the US, as indeed does Germany. Although the Trump administration has caused a strained relationship to develop between parts of Europe and the US. As for what tabloid newspapers write I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Quote:

The average American doesn't really see the UK as mommie, nor we think you are interchangeable with us.
No one is asking you to see as us a mommir as yout ut it or to be interchagable with us.

Quote:
We don't even understand your humor, we often just have stereotypes of you as most Amricans have never really been to Europe. (We have a huge country to visit)
That's fine, it's our humour and as long as we find it funny that's what counts.

Quote:
I am just being honest. (And I am sure a lot of Americans agree with me), your media and political figures talk about us non-stop, but on this side of the pond (As you say), we truly don't really think that much about you.
No we don't, our news tends to be more global, however it tends to concentrate on the whole world, just as our sport often does.

The media in the UK tends to follow global events and the Trump administration has made it too the front pages of lots of newspapers and has been the subject of debate in a number of countries.

As for our politicians they are involved in numerous domestic issues as well as far more important issues to us such as securing a European trade deal and keeping close defence and security ties with Europe.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:14 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
They beat us at politeness and profanity at the same time.

There are two things I dislike about the UK. One is the amount of swearing, especially in the north! Wow.

The other thing is the drinking culture.

But then, I'm just a "Puritanical" New Englander (not really Puritanical, lol.)

Wait--there are THREE things I dislike. The third is their stereotypical idea of Americans, that we are loud, boastful, rude, etc. I do see Americans in the UK who are like that and it makes me embarrassed but most Americans aren't like that. What about British sport fans who are drunk and loud and violent?

FOUR things: their other stereotype that we have great weather. Gawd. What don't they see on tv! Do they believe all the advertisements? In our north it's 85+ and muggy most of the summer and sub freezing and dark most of the winter. In the south, sure they have nice WINTERS, but do these Brits visit our south in the summer? No. But they continue to assume we have beautiful year round weather and they complain about their mild climate.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post

the USA is not an important part of British History and does not consume the thoughts of the British.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:03 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I am sure France does have a special relationship with the US, as indeed does Germany.
Actually...not really. There is no particular affinity between the United States and any of the continental European countries. We may do business with them, but there is no BFF relationship with any of them.

At this point I would refer people to the BFF thread.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:04 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

You forgot this part, from my statement, however!

Quote:
The UK is not very relevant to peoples lives in the US.

Also as far as ignorance goes, there is enough on both sides of the pond.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post

You forgot this part, from my statement, however!

Also as far as ignorance goes, there is enough on both sides of the pond.

Of course it's not relevant to every day peoples lives, the UK is over 4,000 miles away.

The US doesn't comume pur every thought, indeed we are usually more concerned with our holidays in Europe or a weekend break in Paris etc.

The UK is a very sporting country and a lot of important relations are elated to sporting rivalry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World