Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Actually...not really. There is no particular affinity between the United States and any of the continental European countries. We may do business with them, but there is no BFF relationship with any of them.

At this point I would refer people to the BFF thread.
The French did help the rebel forces during the War of Independence, plus they gave the US a nice statue.

A lot of Americans also have German ancestry and the Germans did bring with them beer, the frankfuter (hotdog) and burgers.

So without the French you would be speaking English (which you do anyway) and without thew Germans you mght be a lot thinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:14 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Nevertheless, we don't have much in common with the French. Actually, France is just another foreign country to us.

As for immigrants from continental European countries...their kids learned English, and intermarried. Many white Americans are mutts-and the nationality they identify with is American.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 09-15-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Pilot1's comments are relevant. No one has had as much influence on the USA as the British.

As for prestige, poll results (which can be found online) indicate that the UK is among the few (including Australia and Canada) that are rated highest by Americans.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 09-15-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravani View Post

I guarantee you many Americans probably would go to Italy, France, Spain, Germany whatever in Europe before going to the UK.
What are the terms of your guarantee?

Selected European destinations for US travelers (2015 visitor numbers)

#1 UK - 2,885,000

#3 France - 2,361,000

#4 Italy - 2,033,000

#5 Germany - 1,771,000

#7 Spain - 1,312,000

[#2 Dominican Republic, #6 Jamaica, #8 China, #9 Bahamas, #10 India]

Source: Department of Commerce National Travel and Tourism Office (2015)

Old 09-15-2018, 12:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,281 times
Quote:
Actually I differ

i have met tons of British, especially English who seem to think the US is an extension of England, or England across the ocean.

i also met plenty of disillusioned British who come to America and are often shocked when they realize how different America is from anything in the UK.

When the vice-president of our last administration went to France and said, America and France share a special relationship, the British press went crazy, much to the amusement of the American press and the White House because they just did't understand why the British press and its political figures were so mad. Later we learned it was because he said Special Relationship. (it seems the British think it's an exclusive thing) it is not.

The average American doesn't really see the UK as mommie, nor we think you are interchangeable with us.

We don't even understand your humor, we often just have stereotypes of you as most Amricans have never really been to Europe. (We have a huge country to visit)

I am just being honest. (And I am sure a lot of Americans agree with me), your media and political figures talk about us non-stop, but on this side of the pond (As you say), we truly don't really think that much about you.
Irene, you don't half waffle on.

I don't believe anyone, anywhere focuses directly too much on other countries because there are other things to think about closer to home, and I think this is even more true of Americans, being so isolated from most of the rest of the world. But, despite the numerous and obvious differences between the UK and US, the two-way cultural connection is far stronger than, say, the US and France, or the UK and Italy. Just look at the sheer number of British actors appearing in US movies and TV shows. Or the number of Hollywood movies made in UK studios. Have you considered the popularity of UK TV shows like Downton Abbey in the US? Or the number of UK shows, like The Office, Man About The House (Three's Company) or Steptoe and Son (Sanford and Son) which get remade for US audiences? How about the so-called "British Invasion" in the sixties, spearheaded by The Beatles and Rolling Stones? Was there ever a "French Invasion" of music? I could really go on, but I think I've made my point.

Last edited by pbobcat; 09-15-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 09-15-2018, 12:58 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
Quote:
I am not sure I agree 100% with you.

Americans have appreciation for their heritage, we value our family origins, we are a nation of immigrants, so beside the US we also love our old countries.

That means plenty of love for Ireland in Boston, Germany in the Midwest, Italy in the North east, Mexico in the South west, African cultures in the south, Asian cultures in Hawaii and California.

I mean we are a big melting pot.

I do not know where you get this idea that the UK is very important to the everyday American or that you a special place in our minds that no other country has, honestly, the Uk is not a topic of conversation for the average American.

I guarantee you many Americans probably would go to Italy, France, Spain, Germany whatever in Europe before going to the UK.

It does not mean we hate the UK, but contrary to what the British, especially the English believe, we are not exactly crazy about you or feel like we are the same either.

we have special relationships all over the planet and we are a world power with connections all over the globe.
Caravani, unlike most Americans, you’re anti-British. Google “special relationship poll” and there is a mountain of polling data to support my position.

Royal weddings from countries other than the UK aren’t broadcast on major US TV networks, for example.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:05 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Caravani, unlike most Americans, you’re anti-British. Google “special relationship poll” and there is a mountain of polling data to support my position.

Royal weddings from countries other than the UK aren’t broadcast on major US TV networks, for example.
She's Colombian. She's been banned several times due to the nature of her posts. I can guarantee(!) she won't last long on here. Again.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:33 PM

My computer is not displaying enough information to link to an online article-"James Frayne: The Special Relationship is real-new polling proves it".

The poll results indicate that there is strong support in both countries for a trade deal.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
We don't even understand your humor
I think the humour difference thing, is a bit overdone.

Styles of comedy may be different, but I think between peoples that speak the same language, humour transcends national differences easily.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:39 PM

My favorite comedy of all time is Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World