Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider part of the western world?
Northern Europe 95 88.79%
Western Europe 98 91.59%
Southern Europe 91 85.05%
Central Europe 74 69.16%
Balkans 39 36.45%
Eastern Europe 37 34.58%
Russia 15 14.02%
Northern North America 95 88.79%
Central America + Mexico 33 30.84%
Caribbean 38 35.51%
Andean States 27 25.23%
The Guianas 24 22.43%
Brazil 33 30.84%
Southern Cone 27 25.23%
Northern Africa 2 1.87%
Western Africa 2 1.87%
Central Africa 1 0.93%
Eastern Africa 2 1.87%
Southern Africa 4 3.74%
South Africa 13 12.15%
Israel 42 39.25%
Turkey 5 4.67%
Caucuses 1 0.93%
Western Asia 2 1.87%
Central Asia 1 0.93%
Southern Asia 1 0.93%
Southeast Asia 2 1.87%
Eastern Asia 4 3.74%
Phillippines 6 5.61%
Australasia 50 46.73%
Melanesia 2 1.87%
Micronesia 3 2.80%
Polynesia 7 6.54%
Latin America is an off shoot of the western world, but not part of it 17 15.89%
Orthodox Europe is an off shoot of the western world, but not part of it 13 12.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:34 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What is your reference point for "west"? West of what? Among modern geopoliticians, it is pretty unambiguous what The West means, and this discussion is about which nations are currently share the criteria.
The West is all the places in the world whose culture, society and institutions are mainly derived from Western Europe and which have a first world standard of living.

That's my simple definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 11:30 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The West is all the places in the world whose culture, society and institutions are mainly derived from Western Europe and which have a first world standard of living.

That's my simple definition.
hmm. So is Istanbul a city of the west or the east?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:28 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
What’s so important about the religion?

Agreed

Countries can change over time as per the example you gave above (Czechia)

Why?

Generally speaking yes.

Australia and NZ are multicultural countries. Sure they remain predominantly white, but that’s due to historical reasons. The percentage of foreign born increases annually.

What about Japan?
I think Christendom is central to Western culture and identity, and specifically the Protestant and Catholic Christians. My definition of the West is the former non-Soviet Europe and its derived cultures. Australia is mostly a Western culture derived from British and Irish original immigrants and its later immigrants have assimilated into that Western culture. I personally am not white but am American and I've become assimilated into the American culture.

Japan is not a Western country because its not in Western Europe AND not derived from European settlers, and because its not a Christian nation. Japan is a First World, advanced country but not Western. Argentina is a Western derived culture (the only one in Latin America without a large indigenous component) but its economic issues prevent it from being Western. Mexico and Brazil have too much indigenous culture to be Western and are economcially too backwards.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
hmm. So is Istanbul a city of the west or the east?
I used to see Istanbul as a half half city but now Turkey as a whole is becoming LESS Western as they've become more Islamist lately.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthal_Ganesan View Post
From an Asian and Eastern perspective, any white majority country basically.
I'm of Asian descent and I and my family certainly don't include Russia, Eastern Europe, or anywhere in Latin America (not even white majority Argentina) to be Western. Greece is also not a Western country.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:36 PM

There are some nations that have become LESS Western over the years.....

1. Greece - used to be the "cradle of Western civilization" but today is a backwards economically failed nation. Would be like Venezuela if not for EU bailouts. I hardly even see Greece as European anymore

2. South Africa - It was a Western nation when the Afrikaners were dominant. The white South African culture is Western but now the country is dominated by the Black South African population and culture which is non-Western

3. Turkey - increasingly moving closer to the Middle East and away from Europe, rise of radical islam especially under Ergodan, more and more hijabs on the streets, etc.

4. Israel - Was founded by Western Ashkenazi Jews, but the Israeli population is increasingly dominated by Mizrahi Jews and by Eastern European and and Russian immigrants whose cultures are non-Western

5. USA/UK/Australia - the trend will only be downward if illegal immigration continues unchecked and the immigrants who come do not assimilate into our culture

Old 02-04-2019, 07:10 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Christendom is central to Western culture and identity, and specifically the Protestant and Catholic Christians. My definition of the West is the former non-Soviet Europe and its derived cultures. Australia is mostly a Western culture derived from British and Irish original immigrants and its later immigrants have assimilated into that Western culture. I personally am not white but am American and I've become assimilated into the American culture.

Christendom is central to EUROPEAN, not "Western" identity.

Quote:
Japan is not a Western country because its not in Western Europe AND not derived from European settlers, and because its not a Christian nation. Japan is a First World, advanced country but not Western.

Not "European," but still "Western," since it became so integrated into Western economic and political system, but Japan is rather an exception from the rules.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
There are some nations that have become LESS Western over the years.....

1. Greece - used to be the "cradle of Western civilization" but today is a backwards economically failed nation. Would be like Venezuela if not for EU bailouts. I hardly even see Greece as European anymore

2. South Africa - It was a Western nation when the Afrikaners were dominant. The white South African culture is Western but now the country is dominated by the Black South African population and culture which is non-Western

3. Turkey - increasingly moving closer to the Middle East and away from Europe, rise of radical islam especially under Ergodan, more and more hijabs on the streets, etc.

4. Israel - Was founded by Western Ashkenazi Jews, but the Israeli population is increasingly dominated by Mizrahi Jews and by Eastern European and and Russian immigrants whose cultures are non-Western

5. USA/UK/Australia - the trend will only be downward if illegal immigration continues unchecked and the immigrants who come do not assimilate into our culture
I think you might be exaggerating ever so slightly.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I used to see Istanbul as a half half city but now Turkey as a whole is becoming LESS Western as they've become more Islamist lately.
Istanbul and some of the southwestern coastal Turkish cities are still more secular than the rest of Turkey though.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Christendom is central to EUROPEAN, not "Western" identity.

Not "European," but still "Western," since it became so integrated into Western economic and political system, but Japan is rather an exception from the rules.
I think to be Western a country must be Western European or descended from Western European settlement like Australia and New Zealand. But just having these characteristics isn't enough hence Argentina, Greece, Brazil, and Mexico not being Western nations. If a country is non-Western AND isn't founded as a European colony then there is no way it can be Western.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World