Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cleanest city? (clean streets, well-maintained buildings, greenery, eco-friendliness)
Japanese cities (specify which one) 16 38.10%
Singapore 7 16.67%
Munich, Zurich, and other German-speaking Alpine areas 7 16.67%
Scandinavia (specify which one) 4 9.52%
Canadian cities (specify which one) 3 7.14%
Affluent, master-planned suburbs in the USA (specify which one) 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:46 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Makes you wonder how Mega Asian cities are so much cleaner than Mega Western cities.
China and India have high levels of dirt and pollution, and there are others.

In terms of London and the UK, I would be very careful if dropping any litter, as the so-called litter police are akin to the East German Stasi and generally stay hidden waiting dor unsuispeting members of the public to drop a tiny bit of litter or a cigarette butt before issuing them with a £75 fine.

'Litter police' get bonuses to target public, Panorama finds - BBC News

In terms of London, the city is cleaned every night by numerous council teams and street cleaning machines. as is the transport system, and the city is investing in cleaner transport, pedestrianisation, a new super sewer, as well as new smart bins and has plans for further vehicle charges to fund new cycle ways and public transport, and I believe Paris has similar plans.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-30-2018 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 AM

570 posts, read 508,691 times
Singapore, Japanese, and Australian cities are so clean!! cleanest city in America has to be Honolulu. Dirtiest first world city I've ever been to was SanFran

Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Maybe Canada was given special treatment in any city in the Nation to choose.

Maybe the OP felt US cities were all inferior in cleanliness? So chose to choose from more planned suburban locations? Still odd. For major Northern US cities? If the poll was for them. I'd choose Boston and Chicago. Sunbelt cities in the southern US tend to be clean .... if not more sterile.

But in general ... suburban areas are in the US. Planned or just sprawled.
To answer your question, the US has the highest income inequality in the developed world. The higher the income inequality of the country, the dirtier the country's cities tend to be. One striking exception is Singapore, which has an income inequality comparable to the US, yet the government has heavily prioritized urban planning, urban renewal, gentrification, state-of-the-art sanitation, and eco-friendly technology such that the city appears very uniformly well maintained and neatly organized.

As for the US, however, the high income inequality has indeed lead to much urban decay and grit. However, what you see in vast swaths of the suburbs of newer, postwar sunbelt cities like Atlanta as well as the Washington D.C. suburbs is very low income inequality, where everyone is uniformly wealthy, while the inner city is utterly impoverished.

So, think for a moment: How clean is the most affluent, well-planned suburb in your area in the U.S. If you're in Los Angeles, think about Irvine. If you're in Chicago, it's probably Naperville. If you're in Houston, think about The Woodlands. If you're in Washington D.C., think about Falls Church, Reston, and Columbia, MD. Or Boca Raton if you're in Miami. Now compare that affluent master-planned suburb to cities abroad.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
To answer your question, the US has the highest income inequality in the developed world. The higher the income inequality of the country, the dirtier the country's cities tend to be. One striking exception is Singapore, which has an income inequality comparable to the US, yet the government has heavily prioritized urban planning, urban renewal, gentrification, state-of-the-art sanitation, and eco-friendly technology such that the city appears very uniformly well maintained and neatly organized.

As for the US, however, the high income inequality has indeed lead to much urban decay and grit. However, what you see in vast swaths of the suburbs of newer, postwar sunbelt cities like Atlanta as well as the Washington D.C. suburbs is very low income inequality, where everyone is uniformly wealthy, while the inner city is utterly impoverished.
None of that prevents someone from tossing trash out onto the road, or leaving their junk out in front yard. It is pretty damn easy to be clean, and keep the area around you clean, matter of fact, it does not cost anything. But I have seen it first hand more times than I care to; illegal dumping, tossing trash out onto the sidewalks and roads, lack of basic tidying up your yard, vandalism, etc. Some people, many end up living in the same area, just do not care, and income inequality has nothing to do with it. If anything, income inequality is a symptom of people who exhibit such behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
So, think for a moment: How clean is the most affluent, well-planned suburb in your area in the U.S. If you're in Los Angeles, think about Irvine. If you're in Chicago, it's probably Naperville. If you're in Houston, think about The Woodlands. If you're in Washington D.C., think about Falls Church, Reston, and Columbia, MD. Or Boca Raton if you're in Miami. Now compare that affluent master-planned suburb to cities abroad.
People who are affluent got that way because of their behavior, and their surroundings reflect that. But you do not have to be affluent to live in a clean area, basic things as I previously described are pretty much free. At that, Boca is not in Miami, it is not even a suburb of it, it is 45 minutes away on I95 without traffic.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:35 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Makes you wonder how Mega Asian cities are so much cleaner than Mega Western cities.
There are plenty of dirty Asian cities in China and India.

Paris is practically a third world city.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:06 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
On the other hand, European mega-cities like Paris and London are actual dumps. In general, the bigger the city , the more disgusting and gritty it is, wich makes me think that governments and local councils should make the cleaning of these giant cities a priority now. Unfortunately it is still not the case, however as more and more people live in big urban areas worldwide , I believe it is as much an emergency as the cleaning of oceans or of Mont Everest.
visiting London in July for the first time, we were shocked how dirty it was in most every part we drove through.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Japan has been very clean in my experience. Fukuoka was especially clean of all the Japanese cities I've been to, and Japan was clean as a whole compared to most countries I've been to. Still, small town mid-west USA has some of the cleanest, nicest looking areas I've experienced.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:03 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
On the other hand, European mega-cities like Paris and London are actual dumps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
visiting London in July for the first time, we were shocked how dirty it was in most every part we drove through.
If you want to push an agenda, the best way to do it is to get it at least somewhere in the ballpark of reality. Push the narrative too far into the fringes of plausibility, and you only end up discrediting your own post.

Try at least to exclude Central London from stories like this if you want to be convincing.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:18 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
I visit London regularly and find it pretty clean ... and before any quips about relative to San Francisco - I also lived in Tokyo.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
I visit London regularly and find it pretty clean ... and before any quips about relative to San Francisco - I also lived in Tokyo.

I have never found London to be that dirty, fair enough it's a big city and produces a lot of rubbish and waste but it has good cleaning services and the transport system is also fairly clean especially when compared to say the NYC Subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World