Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 05:16 AM

278 posts, read 230,403 times

Advertisements

Reading another link seems that W is so different from Madrid that its comparison is not possible.Madrid in USA perhaps only it is comparable with not NY.
Although NY has more millions of inhabitans and is a city of skyscrapers.But surpassing the 7 millions inhabitans
the number of inhabitans helps very little the attractivenes of the cities and much more to their problems .,.

POSSIBLE COMPARISONS of NY AND MADRID

1)MUSEUMS

2)GASTRONOMY

3)ENERGY IN THE STREET

4)NIGHT

5)GREAT SPORT TEAMS

6)TOURIST

7)AROUND DE NY.-/

8)PUBLIC PARKS

9)SHOWS,./

10)PALACES

11)COMUNICATIONS SUBWAY AND TRAINS

12)PUBS

13)FINANCE

14)JOY ON THE STREETS.-

15)SECURITY IN THE STREET

16)HEALTH AT A GOOD PRICE.-

ETC ETC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 05:33 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
Reading another link seems that W is so different from Madrid that its comparison is not possible.Madrid in USA perhaps only it is comparable with not NY.
Although NY has more millions of inhabitans and is a city of skyscrapers.But surpassing the 7 millions inhabitans
the number of inhabitans helps very little the attractivenes of the cities and much more to their problems .,.

ETC ETC
New York City

1. Museums: A
2. Gastronomy: A-
3. Energy (intangibles): A-
4. Nightlife: B+
5. Sports teams: C
6. Tourism: B+
8. Public parks: B
9. Live entertainment: A+
10. Heritage: B
11. Transit: C-
12. Pubs: B
13. Finance: A+
14. Quality of life: C+
15. Safety: B
16. Affordable healthcare: C-

Madrid

1. Museums: B
2. Gastronomy: B+
3. Energy (intangibles): B+
5. Sports teams: B
6. Tourism: B-
9. Live entertainment: C
10. Heritage: A
11. Transit: A-
12. Pubs: C
13. Finance: C-
14. Quality of life: B
15. Safety: A-
16. Affordable healthcare: B+

Old 09-01-2018, 07:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

1)MUSEUMS: NYC, though Madrid is great here. The difference to me is NYC also has a place like Intrepid Air, Sea and Space, or American Museum of Natural History, etc. Madrid is as great as just about anywhere on arts, but NYC would win on other areas I think.

2)GASTRONOMY: Madrid has more originality and probably a better street food scene. That said, NYC, you can get high quality anything. So, it's kinda hard to say and depends on preference. I think I'd like Madrid prices better.

3)ENERGY IN THE STREET: Don't know enough to say for certain. Leaning towards Madrid maybe having slightly more continuous energy, but not having anywhere that can match the energy of certain NYC areas.

4)NIGHTLIFE: From everything I have heard, I would go with Madrid.

5)GREAT SPORT TEAMS: Madrid has Real Madrid, Madrid Atletico, and some other great sports events to be certain, but unless one is particularly soccer leaning, NYC will win this one on diversity.

6)TOURIST ATTRACTIONS: Hard to say honestly, depends on the type of tourist, but I would guess NYC would have more obviously "touristy" stuff, for better and for words.

7)AROUND THE AREA: I'm thinking this is what you are meaning. They are comparable. Within 1 hour? Madrid. Within 5 hours? NY. Further out? Again, swinging back to Madrid.

8)PUBLIC PARKS: I've heard both have great ones, hard to make a determination. Madrid has the disadvantage of being landlocked and dry, but has the advantage of being more mountainous and having more remote places surrounding it overall (almost more like a Mountain West city surroundings, but moderately greener.)

9)SHOWS: Gotta go with NYC here, though I'm sure Madrid has some of interest.

10)PALACES: Madrid, but this is one where I think NYC is surprisingly (really) underrated.

11)SUBWAY AND TRAINS: NYC by volume, Madrid by comfort and quality

12)PUBS: Uncertain.

13)FINANCE: NYC, easily.

14)JOY ON THE STREETS.-Hard to measure, but if I had to guess, Madrid.

15)SECURITY IN THE STREET-Madrid on a citywide basis.

16)HEALTH AT A GOOD PRICE.-This one is a bit too hot button and open to individual interpretation lol.

So, I have:
5 for NYC
4 for Madrid
7 I consider hard to determine

So Madrid is pretty dang competitive here against what is considered one of the world's great and true Alphas. I feel I could afford to live and maybe eventually own property in Madrid, and though I've never visited, I just have a feeling it would instantly be one of my very favorite places. I've never fully done NYC properly, and need to at some point as it is a rite of passage for anyone with even a passing interest in urban spaces. I also think I'd generally feel more secure in Madrid than in NYC, in spite of the language gap.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 AM

278 posts, read 230,403 times
Casvfan 137

I think your answer is very sucessful ,specially if you have not visited Madrid.Furtunately
if I visited , Madrid and NY ,and NY it is, a city that I love.

I would only disagree with you in 2 sections that I comment to continuation.

GOOD HEALTH GENERALIZED

Madrid has a magnificent network of hospital free of payment.-
In NY I had a sick relative who it was to the hospital and the cost it was extraordinary
.-
Perhaps this is why Spaniards have the best life expectancy in the World with Japan.

ARROUND THE AREA.-

Madrid has to 1h to 2o minutes several cities Heritage of Humanity according to the UNESCO precious as
Avila Toledo,Segovia Salamanca ,Aranjuez,Alcala etc.Dozens of towns with medieval Castles etc etc
No city has such perhaps an so extraordinary environment .-

However I have been surprised by the opinions of other forist who do not know the Museums in Madrid.
For example

All the Important painting of the Empire (Holland ,Belgium ,Part of Italy ,Spain etc)was collected by in the Kings of Spain and is in the Prado Museum and it was forbidden to remove it from Spain except some minor paintings fruits of wars of sales of individuals .And they are all kept today in the Prado Museum.

The fort the Museums of NY is the modern Paintings .But the Spanish Museums have the best of paintings of like Dali or Picasso for example the GUERNICA that was temporaly in a Museum of NY and was his
main work in this years.-

Old 09-03-2018, 04:34 AM

58 posts, read 47,725 times
Ok so here you got my opinion:

1)MUSEUMS - Madrid wins by a tad bit. NY is great too, but Madrid has too many historical things as being in the "Old Continent". The Prado Museum is a World's Heritage Site.

2)GASTRONOMY - Madrid if we talk about local gastronomy and probably higher quality. NYC has more diversity (although Madrid is very diverse too) but NYC is a little version of the globe, basically.

3)ENERGY IN THE STREET - NYC wins easily on this one and probably just Tokyo can be a rival for NYC. Madrid's one is very good too, don't get me wrong. But NYC's one is way too good.

4)NIGHT - Madrid as far as i've heard. More variety of clubs, districts dedicated to party and nightlife. Much better for LGBT people too.

5)GREAT SPORT TEAMS - Madrid wins on this one. Well, I prefer football rather than American football or baseball. Real Madrid is the most known football team in the whole globe, I don't think there is any doubt about this.

But actually, this is a personal opinion. NYC is more diverse in sport teams: good American football team, good baseball team, good basketball team... but if we focus exactly on "GREAT" there is no team in NYC more famous as Real Madrid.

6)TOURIST - Hard to compare. They're a world apart. Madrid is an historical, classical way of tourism. NYC is a modern, urban megalopolis. Madrid's image is made of palaces and fountains. NYC one of skyscrapers. A tie I guess.

7)AROUND THE AREA - Madrid is simply better. I have compared both places with Google Maps and I see that Madrid has a great mountain range with a sky resort very nearby. You can get there without having to cross big cities or heavy traffic.

8)PUBLIC PARKS - Madrid's ones are very good but NYC wins on this one. There is any better park in the world than the Central Park? Also as far as I know, NYC has more parks (per density) as Madrid has, even if they are small, it has more.

9)SHOWS,./ - Hard. Both are in the top scene of the world when it comes to shows. Madrid has the Cirque Of Soleil, NYC has Broadway. Also both have a ton of international artists doing shows there 365 days a year. But probably NYC is a bit superior.

10)PALACES - Madrid by a landslide. No doubt about this.

11)COMUNICATIONS SUBWAY AND TRAINS - The subway plan of NYC is probably the best in the world. Although the subways are quite old, it's another attraction of the city. Madrid's subway lines are much smaller because Madrid also has alternatives like the "cercanias" and they use more the bus than NYC does. Still, Madrid's ones are much newer and comfy. The Cercanias trains are also a great way to get from the suburbs to the city within minuts.

In subways, NYC wins. But if we talk about train connections... Madrid wins from far. Madrid has fast speed train lines connecting the city with Barcelona, Valencia, Seville, and probably other Spanish big cities too. I know, this is not very far since the US is like 20 times the size of Spain but this is a very good pro for Madrid, since in 2 hours and a half you can get to Barcelona for example, another European pearl. From NYC you can get by train to... New Jersey? not a fair comparison.

12)PUBS - Madrid's nightclub scene and pub scene is very known, at least here in Europe. Uncertain about NY, but I heard good vibes. I will make it a tie since I am unsure about NY's ones.

13)FINANCE - NYC is the financial center of the world. I don't want to underrate Madrid, I know it's the 3rd or 4th richest city in Europe. But NYC is simply on another level. Just Tokyo, Hong Kong and London come close. But NYC surpasses even Tokyo.

14)JOY ON THE STREETS. - Ok this one is easy. Madrid. Again especially for LGBT people. Madrid's Pride is the most famous or 2nd most famous pride parade in the world (unsure if the SF one is bigger) but in overall Madrid is way more vibrant.

15)SECURITY IN THE STREET - Madrid, although both cities have their bad areas. The insecurity in Madrid increased recently especially in some suburbs, but petty crimes. The center of the city is like protected with a helmet, police with assault rifles everywhere, as well as near the palaces, tourist spots, etc. In overall, it's still quite more safer than NY is.

16)HEALTH AT A GOOD PRICE. - It depends. If we talk about public health care, then Madrid beats NY by a heavy landslide. In overall, Spain does with the US. If we talk about private one, I guess NY is slightly better than Madrid. But in general Madrid wins, since recently (as I heard in the news) the public health care in Madrid is universal, so any immigrant, tourist, etc. can be treated without any costs. Even illegal immigrants. I also seen that their healthcare ranks very good in many rankings, so definetly Madrid. If we talk about private one, NYC's one has probably a better quality but it's probably double the expensive.

So in overall: Madrid wins by a good score. Madrid 8, NYC 4, tie 3 and unclear 1 (sports, because Real Madrid is more famous than any NYC sport team but NYC has more known teams in many other sports)

Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 AM

502 posts, read 654,779 times
My 2 cents:

1)MUSEUMS : almost tie, but I would say Madrid. Big 3: Prado, Reina Sofia and Thyssen, and then many other world class smaller museums and foundations like Caixaforum, Sorolla, Cerralbo, Archaelogical Museum, Natual History... NYC is also big in museums with MOMA, MET, Gugghenheim and others, but I think Madrid is a bit up here

2)GASTRONOMY : NYC , taking into account quality and variety. If we factor price, Madrid is much more affordable (especially for high end food)

3)ENERGY IN THE STREET : NYC, especially in Manhattan

4)NIGHT : Madrid. No comparison here.

5)GREAT SPORT TEAMS : NYC, because of variety (basketball, baseball, football).

6)TOURIST : NYC, it is an iconic city and it is in the mind of the tourist (thanks to movies) even if you've never been there.

7)AROUND: Madrid: you have 6 world heritage sites at less than 1 hour from Madrid city center. Also, mountains, National Parks, and beaches in less than 2 hours. Well, and the rest of Spain is basically less than 3/4 hours away by train. From NYC you have some beaches and interesting cities (Philly, DC, Boston) and Niagara Falls, but they are all some hours away.

8)PUBLIC PARKS: NYC: Central Park is an icon. Madrid has a big park/forest integrated in the city (Casa de Campo) and also an iconic park (el Retiro) but not close to NYC's relevance.

9)SHOWS: In English, NYC. In Spanish, Madrid. I would say NYC overall by sheer number

10)PALACES: Madrid... Not much to comment in here.

11)COMUNICATIONS SUBWAY AND TRAINS: Madrid, by far. Subway and trains are cleaner, safer, faster and take you to places in Madrid. NYC transportation system is not that good in comparison.

12)PUBS: if you mean pubs in an Irish/English sense, then NYC. If you mean bars, Madrid

13)FINANCE: NYC, not much to comment.

14)JOY ON THE STREETS: Madrid, it is less of an aggressive environment. People's pace is slower.

15)SECURITY IN THE STREET: Madrid, by far.

16)HEALTH AT A GOOD PRICE: Madrid, if we talk about public healthcare system.

Last edited by kikebxl; 09-03-2018 at 05:07 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 06:01 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
What about pickpockets and passport losses? Which city has it worse?

Old 09-04-2018, 10:47 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
New York City

Madrid

Interesting on the QOL ... are you giving NYC a C+ because of how expensive it is?

Also I disagree on safety. NYC is the SAFEST city in America and in the top 10 in the world. IDK about Madrid but Barcelona is not that safe and has a very big pickpocketing problem.

NYC has cops all over the streets. Incidents like that rarely happen ... they are literally cops on every street corner.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:02 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Interesting on the QOL ... are you giving NYC a C+ because of how expensive it is?

Also I disagree on safety. NYC is the SAFEST city in America and in the top 10 in the world. IDK about Madrid but Barcelona is not that safe and has a very big pickpocketing problem.

NYC has cops all over the streets. Incidents like that rarely happen ... they are literally cops on every street corner.
1/ no
2/ Madrid is safer

Old 09-04-2018, 11:23 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
New York City

Madrid

To give NYC an C- for Transit, is a misnomer. NYC has close to 9 million people, residing here, not counting New Jersey, where most of the population works in NYC, Connecticut, and cities belonging to NY State, that work in NYC, also, including some from Pennsylvania. There are trains very often, even at night, and buses express, and otherwise, constantly. Comparing the population of Madrid 3.1 million to NYC is not real....what people like about NYC, is the ability to WALK anywhere, and knowing there is public transportation available, at any time. Sure, transit problems will emerge, when there is a multitude of people present. Also, NYC, gets SNOW, Madrid, rare..... FOR THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE that NYC serves, it has the best public transportation, in the world.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World