Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Turkey vs Spain
Turkey 7 30.43%
Spain 16 69.57%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

I feel like these countries are very similar yet very different at the same time. I'm wondering which would be better to visit for a week or so. Some criteria to consider
1. Scenery
2. Cities/Towns
3. Friendliness
4. History
5. Food
6. Museums
8. Beaches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 10:49 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
This is actually pretty hard. The current political climate would give Spain the win in my book. But just by your criteria, this is pretty difficult.

Spain takes the cities but everything else is debatable.

Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I feel like these countries are very similar ...
To be sure, they share a common Mediterranean history and scenery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
This is actually pretty hard. The current political climate would give Spain the win in my book. But just by your criteria, this is pretty difficult.

Spain takes the cities but everything else is debatable.
I mostly agree.

I think even cities are debatable unless the criteria is "medieval" - and later renaissance/baroque - which is for the most part a European phenomenon, not Mediterranean the majority of which did not share that experience, nor the rest of the world (though Europeans love to apply it everywhere).

Anyway, right now I would feel much safer in Spain, but since it's not part of the criteria, I can't vote.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:50 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
As an American, I don't feel safe going to Turkey right now....I wish I did as I'm working in Azerbaijan and it's dirt cheap in Turkey now.

Spain I've spent a lot of time in and it's probably my favorite Euro country to visit.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:48 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
To be sure, they share a common Mediterranean history and scenery.

I mostly agree.

I think even cities are debatable unless the criteria is "medieval" - and later renaissance/baroque - which is for the most part a European phenomenon, not Mediterranean the majority of which did not share that experience, nor the rest of the world (though Europeans love to apply it everywhere).

Anyway, right now I would feel much safer in Spain, but since it's not part of the criteria, I can't vote.

You are probably right and this, too is more subjective than I initially thought.
For me

Madrid
Barcelona
Seville
Valencia
Malaga
Zaragoza

have the advantage over

Istanbul
Ankara
Izmir
Antalya
Konya?

I admittedly have much less knowledge of the major cities in Turkey compared to Spain's. Also I am aware that by pure population many of the cities on Turkey's list are bigger by population.

It's just that to me the named cities in Spain are more famous for being destinations.

Overall Istanbul trumps them all of course.

Also after thinking a bit about it and after giving Spain the cities I will give Turkey the history.
While Spain has loads and great history as country but it is really hard to compete with a place that had the Greeks, had the Persians, was an epicenter of the Roman Empire, the epicenter of the Byzantine Empire and the Ottaman Empire.

It has rich christian (orthodox) and Muslim history and overall was and still is to a degree the gateway to the middle east from Europe.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,432 times
Turkey has rich in history, enormous great cities and resorts, excellent food, great service and overall cheaper. Only cons is that it’s Islamic; but has Orthodox Christianity history.

Spain is nice, clean and has great cities and resorts, but Turkey still nicer.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:07 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Spain is safer, but even with that, I'd choose Turkey any day.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,163 times
I have not seen both countries yet, but I find myself more drawn to Turkey than Spain as a destination...

Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 16 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I feel like these countries are very similar yet very different at the same time. I'm wondering which would be better to visit for a week or so. Some criteria to consider
1. Scenery
2. Cities/Towns
3. Friendliness
4. History
5. Food
6. Museums
8. Beaches
Both are beautiful countries, have good food and culture, and a lot of the local people are friendly however Turkey seems to be going in the wrong direction under Erdoğan and this may sadly effect future tourism.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Turkey has rich in history, enormous great cities and resorts, excellent food, great service and overall cheaper. Only cons is that it’s Islamic; but has Orthodox Christianity history.

Spain is nice, clean and has great cities and resorts, but Turkey still nicer.
How on Earth is that a con? Spain has, what, 600 years of islamic history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World