Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 08:29 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
[color=Purple]

However, a topic like this is also bad, problematic and counterproductive because it spreads the idea that the top unis are "the best". - They are not.
In a way they are. Education is something that can be acquired by different means nowadays. What sets an educational institutions apart from one another is networking. How connected they are to major firms? How much research di they engage in?

English being the current global business language gives done unis an advantage over others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:55 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
That list is really suspect. For example, how can Boston University be #74 and Vanderbilt is #121?

Old 03-05-2019, 07:07 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That list is really suspect. For example, how can Boston University be #74 and Vanderbilt is #121?
If you're willing to take the time, there is a lot of data on that site to support the overall ranking. But of course you don't have to dig in, you can just criticize the outcome.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
These rankings tend to be biased towards Anglophone universities as pretty much all the publications they look at for research citations etc are in the English language.

Also different countries have different systems, in Germany for example much of the research is done in research institutes (The Max Planck institute for example) while universities concentrate on teaching, which obviously pushes them down the rankings when research output is a big criteria. That doesn't mean an undergraduate student there will get a worse education though.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
These rankings tend to be biased towards Anglophone universities as pretty much all the publications they look at for research citations etc are in the English language.

Also different countries have different systems, in Germany for example much of the research is done in research institutes (The Max Planck institute for example) while universities concentrate on teaching, which obviously pushes them down the rankings when research output is a big criteria. That doesn't mean an undergraduate student there will get a worse education though.
That’s the crux of it. The biggest advantage one gets from the Anglosphere is the level of networking it provides. Education itself, is not going to be drastically better.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:54 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
China is gradually becoming an educational superpower. There has been a dramatic rise in rankings of Chinese universities and they are in competition with Anglo-Western Universities.
I received my undergrad degree in the U.S. but did my master's degree in China, one of the top universities in China actually. I've never experienced so much cheating and plagarism in my life at the university level in China. Administrators and professors all looked the other way, and it was thought of as not a big deal.

Universities in China have a long way to go to compare themselves to top schools in the U.S. & UK. Sure there is Peiking U and Fudan, but you need have a better understanding of what's being taught at these schools and not just look at polls or rankings online. I'm sure there are highly educated students and teachers at many universities in China as its VERY difficult to get into a good school in China, but because of the general poor ethical environment in China, this bad behavior overshadows the good work done by some in these schools.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I received my undergrad degree in the U.S. but did my master's degree in China, one of the top universities in China actually. I've never experienced so much cheating and plagarism in my life at the university level in China. Administrators and professors all looked the other way, and it was thought of as not a big deal.

Universities in China have a long way to go to compare themselves to top schools in the U.S. & UK. Sure there is Peiking U and Fudan, but you need have a better understanding of what's being taught at these schools and not just look at polls or rankings online. I'm sure there are highly educated students and teachers at many universities in China as its VERY difficult to get into a good school in China, but because of the general poor ethical environment in China, this bad behavior overshadows the good work done by some in these schools.
Chinese universities do not emphasize homework assignments and projects, and it's true that many students copy each others'. When I was in college, all homework assignments only counted 10%.

However they are quite serious about exams. Those who got caught cheating on final exams are usually suspended or dismissed immediately. Those who monitor the exams are usually not the professors who teach the class.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Chinese universities do not emphasize homework assignments and projects, and it's true that many students copy each others'. When I was in college, all homework assignments only counted 10%.

However they are quite serious about exams. Those who got caught cheating on final exams are usually suspended or dismissed immediately. Those who monitor the exams are usually not the professors who teach the class.
They copy over here even, so it’s widespread not just home work. My daughter used to grade their programming lab projects and she told me.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:25 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They copy over here even, so it’s widespread not just home work. My daughter used to grade their programming lab projects and she told me.
Copying code is common among "American students" too. I used to be a TA for the computer science department.

Anyway the point is, in Chinese universities, homework assignments are just "exercises" and do not matter much on transcript. You can get an A even if you turned in zero homework. However, if you got 55/100 in your final exam, the professor usually lets those who did homework pass. That's why many students submit make-up homework after exams.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Copying code is common among "American students" too. I used to be a TA for the computer science department.

Anyway the point is, in Chinese universities, homework assignments are just "exercises" and do not matter much on transcript. You can get an A even if you turned in zero homework. However, if you got 55/100 in your final exam, the professor usually lets those who did homework pass. That's why many students submit make-up homework after exams.
Not when I went to college, and it depends on the college. My kid’s college, in certain classes, if you pass the final with at least 60/100, they will fail you. It caused my kid lots of anxiety especially when they didn’t always tell my kid ahead of the exam. Her university is well known for expelling Chinese students who cheat, it’s in the top 100 universities per that link. In fact, they now have very clear instructions on what considered cheating.

Kids who grew up in America were taught very strictly about cheating, my kids had to use turnitin software to check and make sure nothing she turned in was copied somewhere. She had to do that practically all through high school. I don’t know how stritch other countries are with their students.

Btw, Chinese students cheat more than American Students, there’s an article on Wall Street Journal about this. Google for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World