Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:12 AM

839 posts, read 734,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
There are countries such as the UK and France that I believe visiting the main city (in this case London & Paris) of their respective country WOULD give visitors "a solid" impression of the "overall country"
You've obviously never been to either the UK or France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 10:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
My Danish wife is partial to mountains and Brooklyn. We are pretty much done with Manhattan.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:37 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
It is a pity that 1st time overseas visitors to the US tend to get their "Impression" of the USA based solely on their (likely) visit of NYC or LA- 2 of the most one-of-a-kind cities of the country

There are countries such as the UK and France that I believe visiting the main city (in this case London & Paris) of their respective country WOULD give visitors "a solid" impression of the "overall country"

But visiting just the main city of countries such as US- you will NOT get a well-rounded perspective just by 1 city.
What makes you think it only happens to the US?
Do you want all tourists to visit a place like Toledo or something to suit you?
Doesn´t people go on vacation to enjoy themselves and have fun?
I think those who wants an impression of a country will stay longer and do a tour of the country.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I disagree. New York City is unique and it gives an excellent impression of the United States.
That's a contradiction. A part that is unique is not representative of the whole, but rather the opposite.

To the main point, if a visitor's schedule allow only one location, what would be more representative of the whole?

Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
To the main point, if a visitor's schedule allow only one location, what would be more representative of the whole?
When someone visits a country for the first time, they usually want to see the BEST that the country has to offer, not the average.

New York City is essentially America on steroids, is what I'm saying.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:27 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
It is a pity that 1st time overseas visitors to the US tend to get their "Impression" of the USA based solely on their (likely) visit of NYC or LA- 2 of the most one-of-a-kind cities of the country

But visiting just the main city of countries such as US- you will NOT get a well-rounded perspective just by 1 city.
Yeah, I feel similarly. To me, US cities are not exceptional because we don't have the beautiful old architecture of Europe, we are not set up well generally for people that aren't driving, and we have some very crappy and crime ridden cities (looking at you Detroit)...to be fair, not just Detroit.

To me what is special about the USA is a our national parks such as Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc. and what I recommend people to see. Having said that, many of the people I encounter around the world do love their visit to NYC.

I'm currently on a 18 day tour of Budapest, Austria and Switzerland...currently finishing up 4 days in St. Moritz which is a stunningly beautiful area and heading back to Budapest.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:52 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah, I feel similarly. To me, US cities are not exceptional because we don't have the beautiful old architecture of Europe, we are not set up well generally for people that aren't driving, and we have some very crappy and crime ridden cities (looking at you Detroit)...to be fair, not just Detroit.

To me what is special about the USA is a our national parks such as Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc. and what I recommend people to see. Having said that, many of the people I encounter around the world do love their visit to NYC.

I'm currently on a 18 day tour of Budapest, Austria and Switzerland...currently finishing up 4 days in St. Moritz which is a stunningly beautiful area and heading back to Budapest.
Ough, I hate it when Americans downplay the beauty of American cities. Sure, American cities lack ample examples of “old European architecture”, but American cities are exciting places of modern and postmodern architectural styles. The historic centers of cities such as Boston, Charleston, New Orleans (to name a few) are fantastic. Old Boston is full of quaint British colonial buildings. Ok, its not as old or as grandiose as Rome or Paris, but Boston is still beautiful and very much worth visiting and enjoy. Even the new modern buildings often have intriguing architectural designs. The juxtaposition of the old with the new in cities such as New York makes the place a joy to walk around and take it all in.

Please folks, stop underestimating American cities. They are beautiful in their own American way.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:54 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
When someone visits a country for the first time, they usually want to see the BEST that the country has to offer, not the average.

New York City is essentially America on steroids, is what I'm saying.
If you were going to visit a host family, would you want it be a family on steroids?

Would Toronto give the best representative view of Canada? Rio, of Brazil? Riyadh of Saudi Arabia? Sydney of Australia? Oslo of Norway? Cairo of Egypt?

Last edited by cebuan; 10-23-2018 at 01:06 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 05:13 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Ough, I hate it when Americans downplay the beauty of American cities. Sure, American cities lack ample examples of “old European architecture”, but American cities are exciting places of modern and postmodern architectural styles. The historic centers of cities such as Boston, Charleston, New Orleans (to name a few) are fantastic. Old Boston is full of quaint British colonial buildings. Ok, its not as old or as grandiose as Rome or Paris, but Boston is still beautiful and very much worth visiting and enjoy. Even the new modern buildings often have intriguing architectural designs. The juxtaposition of the old with the new in cities such as New York makes the place a joy to walk around and take it all in.

Please folks, stop underestimating American cities. They are beautiful in their own American way.
At least we can agree that Chalreston, Boston, and New Orleans have more interesting architecture for American cities. Try visiting Budapest.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
Quote:

Ola, you are as wrong with UK and France as these people 'visiting USA' after seeing LA or NYC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World