Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 11:20 AM

274 posts, read 173,112 times

Advertisements

In my opinion Canadians tend to be much more casual, easy going, and more content with having a regular goal.
Americans tend to be more work orientated, more ambitious and outspoken, which makes sense because America has much more opportunity.

Also, the subtle differences mean a lot in the long run, like Canada's big french culture, not just in Quebec, but in many areas of Ontario and the Acadian culture of the Maritimes provinces. Although the USA has their own french culture, in Louisiana, it's much more Spanish orientated, which make the cultures differ heavily.

Other differences like the metric, versus imperial systems, more British influence in Canada, especially in housing, money etc,
our history completely contrasts each other, America gained independence through revolution, Canada through diplomacy.
Canada has a bigger Asian (South and East Asians alike) influence on them then America.

Honestly if you put a Canadian and an American in a room, 6 times out of 10, you wouldn't be able to tell which one is which, Americans and Canadians are extremely similar in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 11:28 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Differences?

-America is way more diverse. Its ~58% White compared to Canada at about 75%. Major US Cities can be dominated by one ethnic group (ie, El Paso->Mexican, Miami->Cuban, Fall River->Portuguese, etc).
-America is significantly more conservative.
-America lacks basic necessities/social services to it's people. No free healthcare, skyrocketing medical costs, skyrocketing education.
-America goes from posh and pristine to reeaallllyyy bad, very fast. Driving from the ritzy suburbs of Boston MA into the coastal communities of New Bedford MA is night and day. From Greenwich CT, Westchester County and the NJ suburbs, you go to a good chunk of NYC which is horrible. Or even compare Mississippi to Massachusetts/Connecticut. You dont see this much divide in Canada.
-Americans are more greedy and seem to be generally less educated overall. I noticed that working in fast food a few years back. Lots of Canadians came in, if we messed up their sandwiches or they waited to long it was never an issue. Americans? It was a fight for a refund, reporting us to corporate or insulting us. Shows the intelligence of my American peers. After I got a real job (fun story), my last shift here, someone (American of course) screamed at the top of her lungs that she got the wrong sub and called us 'losers'. After making her food and her still complaining she threatened us.. so I dropped her food on the floor on purpose, called the cops and clocked out and never looked back. Turns out cops came and he was given a citation lol
-Canadiens are MUCH more hospitable. Every Canadian I have met (besides those in Vancouver in 2011 after the Bruins beat them in the Stanley Cup lol) are the nicest, most progressive, understanding individuals. They grow up right, with dignity, respect and empathy.

Big round of a applause for Canadians. I respect each and every one of you.

Good post.

I agree with most of what you said. Including American's kicking up more of a fuss
and Canadian's being more docile.

Not sure if I totally agree with USA being "way more diverse"...40 or 50 years ago...yes for sure.
Not any more...visit Toronto (and to lesser extant Vancouver and Montreal),
you're head will be spinning. Diversity up the yazoo.

USA has it's core 200 million "white" corn feed/white bread folks. They ain't goin' anywhere.
Also core 43 million blacks (AA's) ...and about 60 million Hispanics.

For example...'lil ole Canada has more muslims than Big Bad USA...
and we only have one tenth of the population (actually a 9 times...but hey, who's counting).

Old 05-18-2020, 11:28 PM

809 posts, read 467,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Good post.

I agree with most of what you said. Including American's kicking up more of a fuss
and Canadian's being more docile.

Not sure if I totally agree with USA being "way more diverse"...40 or 50 years ago...yes for sure.
Not any more...visit Toronto (and to lesser extant Vancouver and Montreal),
you're head will be spinning. Diversity up the yazoo.

USA has it's core 200 million "white" corn feed/white bread folks. They ain't goin' anywhere.
Also core 43 million blacks (AA's) ...and about 60 million Hispanics.

For example...'lil ole Canada has more muslims than Big Bad USA...
and we only have one tenth of the population (actually a 9 times...but hey, who's counting).
The US is more diverse by far - selecting a few cities, which most would be mid-tier in the US isn't comparative to the breadth and depth of the US's demographics.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:10 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Differences?

-America is way more diverse. Its ~58% White compared to Canada at about 75%. Major US Cities can be dominated by one ethnic group (ie, El Paso->Mexican, Miami->Cuban, Fall River->Portuguese, etc).
Nice post but saying the U.S. is only 58% white requires using a U.S.-specific definition of who is "white" and which excludes white Argentinians, white Cubans, etc. that are every bit as white-looking as Italians or Greeks.

If you defined "whites" the way the rest of the world does, the U.S. is something in the vicinity of 70-72% white, so not that different from Canada.

Overall, the U.S. and Canada are probably similarly diverse in terms of the level of diversity, though the nature of diversity in either country is very different.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:25 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nice post but saying the U.S. is only 58% white requires using a U.S.-specific definition of who is "white" and which excludes white Argentinians, white Cubans, etc. that are every bit as white-looking as Italians or Greeks.

If you defined "whites" the way the rest of the world does, the U.S. is something in the vicinity of 70-72% white, so not that different from Canada.

Overall, the U.S. and Canada are probably similarly diverse in terms of the level of diversity, though the nature of diversity in either country is very different.
Just an aside: did you know that many white Argentinians including Pope Francis are of at least some Italian ancestry? Pope Francis parents are from Torino.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:29 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Just an aside: did you know that many white Argentinians including Pope Francis are of at least some Italian ancestry? Pope Francis parents are from Torino.
Yes. I know Argentina quite well. For personal reasons it's the Latin American country I am most familiar with. Been there several times.

In Buenos Aires one gets the impression that about half the population has Italian surnames.

One can often say the same for the Albiceleste (their national soccer team).

Old 05-19-2020, 01:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I'm simply saying LA doesn't build as many high rises as Toronto because LA has much more seismic activity. Isn't that valid?
What about San Francisco and Vancouver? Both in earthquake zones, yet lots of high rises.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:20 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What about San Francisco and Vancouver? Both in earthquake zones, yet lots of high rises.
San Francisco doesn't have more high rises than LA. LA actually has a taller skyline than both cities. Is Vancouver as seismic as California?

Old 05-19-2020, 05:03 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
San Francisco doesn't have more high rises than LA. LA actually has a taller skyline than both cities. Is Vancouver as seismic as California?
I'd think not, as I know that nearby Puget Sound is less seismically active than LA, though still somewhat seismically active.

SF does have more high rises than LA per capita, and that's mostly because it's more dense. For a city of its density and size, though, the skyline is underwhelming and no bigger than Calgary's, it would seem. And that's because of seismic activity.

Old 05-19-2020, 05:20 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Vancouver and area has seismic activity all the time. We just haven't had a massive one in Metro Vancouver in nearly 200 years. We are overdue and they predict it will be over 9 on the Richter scale and could happen today or the next 25 years.

Is it as active as the LA area, no, but it is active.

We do get shakes in the city though, the last one that you could feel, meaning lights swaying, was about 1.5 years or so ago.

The area though has had stronger quakes. Vancouver Island had a 6.3 this year and a 4.7 this month.

The whole province, and I suspect mainly near the coastal areas have had 532 earthquakes in the past 365 days. Of course many caused no damage....yet.

Building codes require earthquake building standards.

Those fault lines don't stop at the border.

Anyway, I don't think a city building high-rises or not has much to do with seismic activity Look at Tokyo.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World