Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer? Three metros of approximately the same size.

Please do your research about all three cities before dismissing Houston and Dallas.

--Economy: Surprisingly, Singapore actually is one of the world's largest oil refining and energy trading centers, and the largest producer of offshore oil rigs. That, and Singapore's burgeoning fintech and biotech industries. Singapore is also the world's second busiest container port, and the second largest gambling center in the world.
--Education: Singapore's two flagship universities, NUS and Nanyang Tech, rank tops in Asia according to the QS university ranking. But Rice is no slouch, either.

K-12 Education: Ok, fine, I'll admit it, Singapore always scores light-years ahead of the U.S. in Math and Science, BUT--and this is a big BUT--school performance in the U.S. varies much more with socioeconomics/race than it does in Singapore or other countries. High-income students and Asian students in the U.S., for example, were found to score just as high as the average Japanese student in Math and Science on these standardized tests. So, let's compare K-12 education in some wealthy suburbs of Dallas (like Plano) vs. your average Singaporean school.

--Weather: Singapore is hot and humid and rainy all year round (just like Tampa in the summer, but for much longer, although some months average 4-5 degrees cooler than others). Sea breezes greatly moderate the heat, though (temps have never exceeded 97 degrees). There has only been one tropical storm/typhoon in recorded history (category 1 hurricane in 2001, an extreme anomaly). Tornadoes are also exceedingly rare. The air quality is very good except during forest fire season in the autumn (last two years, though, saw minimal forest fire smoke.)

Dallas does get some snow and ice every year, but it's also in Tornado Alley. Houston does cool off much more than Singapore, but hurricanes are far more frequent and severe.

--Food
--Urban planning/infrastructure: Singapore is meticulously planned, with very minimal traffic (at least compared to Los Angeles), because cars are taxed so heavily that even a Corolla can cost over $100,000 USD. Not only are all the roads meticulously maintained and litter-free, the freeways feature landscaped medians with tropical plants. The airport often ranks first in customer satisfaction in the world. The subway, though, has seen some epic breakdowns in recent years. On a more positive note, the subway is already quite extensive and heavily ridden but is rapidly expanding in both stations and ridership, and is very modern (the newer lines feature fully-automated, driverless trains). Plus, trains come every 2-4 minutes during rush hour.

Most suburbs of Singapore, though feature monotonous, cookie-cutter high-rise apartment blocks. Imagine a high-rise version of The Woodlands or Plano, and that would be Singapore's suburbs.

To Dallas' credit, Dallas has the longest light-rail system in the US, including a direct link from Downtown to the airport. Dallas' light rail is also more punctual and reliable than Singapore's, though trains are not as frequent (but not too shabby, every 10 minutes during rush hour).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 02:51 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,660,000 times
Singapore is more expensive.

But I tend to think this is for a reason. Singapore is generally higher on livability, culture, urbanity, food, nature, transit, economic, etc. metrics.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,260 times
Singapore? No idea of any of them though...I mean haven't visited them but I suspect I should like Singapore as an asia-fan.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:05 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
My offhand reaction:

Economy goes to Singapore, though it is inherently reliant on the global economy. Should the next few decades see a massive sea change towards nationalist and populist ideals amongst developed countries then this could be a tremendous weakness. I kinda think Houston and Dallas could weather this on the strength of the US.

K-12 education/weather are more or less even. I don't know, it's not drastic enough of a difference...I'll say I would have had Singapore below the others but the OP convinced me to make it a push.

Food...obviously this is subjective but I think Singapore has the best food in the world. Houston and Dallas acquit themselves quite well but can only outperform SG in certain areas. (I'd put Houston above Dallas)

Planning/Infrastructure: SG is possibly the leader in the world for this. You kinda touched on the car regulations, but I think there is an age limit on vehicles as well? Not sure if that still exists, but they try to make cars breaking down a very rare occurrence. In addition to tolls designed carefully to control traffic flow, there is an incredible amount of planning to ensure vehicular traffic moves with regularity at all times. And yes those residential towers can look mundane, but the govt provides housing to something like 80% of citizens (many of whom own their units) so it's an amazingly successful and effective way to mitigate what would be a major housing crisis similar to Hong Kong.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:33 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Singapore is more expensive.

But I tend to think this is for a reason. Singapore is generally higher on livability, culture, urbanity, food, nature, transit, economic, etc. metrics.
Yes, most apartments in Singapore cost $500 dollars a square foot (of course much higher than that if you're in the Downtown areas). $500/sq foot is three times as expensive as what you'd get in Dallas or Houston, but actually no more expensive than many suburbs of Los Angeles, and for sure cheaper than the Bay Area.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:57 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,685 times
In the grand scheme of things, honestly, this is like asking which is the tallest dwarf, right?!

Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Which do you prefer? Three metros of approximately the same size.

Please do your research about all three cities before dismissing Houston and Dallas.

--Economy: Surprisingly, Singapore actually is one of the world's largest oil refining and energy trading centers, and the largest producer of offshore oil rigs. That, and Singapore's burgeoning fintech and biotech industries. Singapore is also the world's second busiest container port, and the second largest gambling center in the world.
--Education: Singapore's two flagship universities, NUS and Nanyang Tech, rank tops in Asia according to the QS university ranking. But Rice is no slouch, either.

K-12 Education: Ok, fine, I'll admit it, Singapore always scores light-years ahead of the U.S. in Math and Science, BUT--and this is a big BUT--school performance in the U.S. varies much more with socioeconomics/race than it does in Singapore or other countries. High-income students and Asian students in the U.S., for example, were found to score just as high as the average Japanese student in Math and Science on these standardized tests. So, let's compare K-12 education in some wealthy suburbs of Dallas (like Plano) vs. your average Singaporean school.

--Weather: Singapore is hot and humid and rainy all year round (just like Tampa in the summer, but for much longer, although some months average 4-5 degrees cooler than others). Sea breezes greatly moderate the heat, though (temps have never exceeded 97 degrees). There has only been one tropical storm/typhoon in recorded history (category 1 hurricane in 2001, an extreme anomaly). Tornadoes are also exceedingly rare. The air quality is very good except during forest fire season in the autumn (last two years, though, saw minimal forest fire smoke.)

Dallas does get some snow and ice every year, but it's also in Tornado Alley. Houston does cool off much more than Singapore, but hurricanes are far more frequent and severe.

--Food
--Urban planning/infrastructure: Singapore is meticulously planned, with very minimal traffic (at least compared to Los Angeles), because cars are taxed so heavily that even a Corolla can cost over $100,000 USD. Not only are all the roads meticulously maintained and litter-free, the freeways feature landscaped medians with tropical plants. The airport often ranks first in customer satisfaction in the world. The subway, though, has seen some epic breakdowns in recent years. On a more positive note, the subway is already quite extensive and heavily ridden but is rapidly expanding in both stations and ridership, and is very modern (the newer lines feature fully-automated, driverless trains). Plus, trains come every 2-4 minutes during rush hour.

Most suburbs of Singapore, though feature monotonous, cookie-cutter high-rise apartment blocks. Imagine a high-rise version of The Woodlands or Plano, and that would be Singapore's suburbs.

To Dallas' credit, Dallas has the longest light-rail system in the US, including a direct link from Downtown to the airport. Dallas' light rail is also more punctual and reliable than Singapore's, though trains are not as frequent (but not too shabby, every 10 minutes during rush hour).

Well the way you have written the OP and with the criteria listed, kind of makes it hard to vote against Singapore, wouldn't you say? You seem to lean heavily towards it, which is of course fine.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:33 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Dallas

Old 11-03-2018, 04:21 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
Singapore in every way except cost of living.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,773,391 times
Singapore is what it is by necessity. Densely populated cities could learn from Singapore, I am sure.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-04-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World