Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 04:17 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The terms "first, second, and third worlds" historically had nothing to do with development, thats a modern transition to a new definition. The terms were used for how a country aligned during the cold war. I had second and third world meanings switched in my mind.
Back in my day that was precisely the definition; "first world" - Western countries ( and probably the countries that were closely attached to the US/Great Britain - such as Japan.
Third world - undeveloped poor countries; many of them with colonial background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 05:16 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Of course "third world countries" were not necessarily aligned with the Soviet Union; some were and some were aligned with the West.
But within this scheme of things, what the Soviet Union itself should be considered?
I for one believe that Soviet Union was the only country deserving the "second world" status.
For a reason that it shared certain things (defining first and third world countries) both with the Western countries and with the third world countries.
And that's the reason why Russia's bigger cities still don't fit in either "Western" or "developing country" definition.
But anyways, in order to demonstrate what I am talking about - this is for example ( judging by description) the worst district of St. Petersburg.

https://varlamov.ru/1501713.html

This is what one of the most dangerous districts in Moscow looks like;

Страх и ненависть в Гольяново. Гид по самому опасному району Москвы | Город | Недвижимость | Аргументы и Факты

And this is one of the worst from (ecological point of view) districts in Moscow;

Московский район нефтяников Капотня и НПЗ Ð“Ð°Ð·Ð¿Ñ€Ð¾Ð¼Ð½ÐµÑ„Ñ‚Ñ Œ | moscowwalks.ru

Old 11-25-2018, 07:05 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Differential View Post
I disagree, the difference isn't marginal at all.

China outside of Tier 1 cities is decidedly 3rd world, this is not the case in the US.
You know, I have changed my mind after your last post. I was thinking about personal experience in China and the US rural areas, but obviously my personal experience is extremely limited in scope. I was also thinking marginal difference because several steps on the scale is marginal in some categories, but when taken in the context of living conditions across a huge swath of population (~40%) that "marginal" difference is not so marginal anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
A complete guess, but I'd venture to say less then 10-15% of China lives a life equal to those in the US. But thats a lot of people, 10% of a billion plus is still over 100 million people.
Thanks for putting it into perspective. Obviously just a guess on your part, but it is telling.

Old 11-25-2018, 06:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,692 times
I don't know if the whole Buenos Aires city is like this, but the places I stayed(Puerto Madero/ San Telmo/ Palermo) had a very developed feel, as a Brazilian from Rio I was mind blown of how developed the city actually felt, it truly seemed like a world-class city. I hope to visit Santiago de Chile soon, as I've heard many nice things about Chile, but Buenos Aires surely impressed me.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:03 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidbackdude View Post
I don't know if the whole Buenos Aires city is like this, but the places I stayed(Puerto Madero/ San Telmo/ Palermo) had a very developed feel, as a Brazilian from Rio I was mind blown of how developed the city actually felt, it truly seemed like a world-class city. I hope to visit Santiago de Chile soon, as I've heard many nice things about Chile, but Buenos Aires surely impressed me.
Buenos Aires always struck me as a clean and developed city.

Maybe the most developed in Latin America?

Old 11-26-2018, 12:29 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,725,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

It's so funny how people get fooled so easily. That's obviously a fake poster/profile. The statement of being "mind blown" by someone from Rio in Buenos Aires is ludicrous.

Wonderful city, fantastic architecture but don't be so fooled.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:29 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Like every latin american city, Buenos Aires has a lot of slums and rundown areas, but if you stay in the inner city and in the northern neighbourhoods you will have the feel that you are in an european city, with all that stunning architecture, cultural life and polite people. I would not say that it is the most developed city in Latin America - Santiago and Montevideo are good candidates; and São Paulo, while it looks and feels much more "third-worldish" than BsAs, has still a larger GDP and more connectivity to global markets.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:04 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,756 times
Dubai?

Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Cape town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World