U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 AM

11,584 posts, read 7,826,341 times

Advertisements

What are some really developed cities in otherwise developing countries?

Cape Town has a large chunk of first world-looking areas with gorgeous seaside mansions that look like they could be in Orange County CA. The rest of the country is living in third world conditions

Moscow and St. Petersburg in Russia come to mind. Both are really modern and organized, while the rest of the country clearly lags a long way behind

Istanbul in Turkey seems super modern and developed, with beautiful architecture and tree-lined streets. Meanwhile the rest of the country is stuck in the 12th century

Not too educated about China, but seems like many cities would fit this bill as well (Shenzhen, Shanghai, Guangzhou)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM

841 posts, read 567,869 times
Buenos Aires

Kuala Lumpur

Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 PM

644 posts, read 640,300 times
It's hard to imagine a whole developed city in a developing country. It's more like cities with a large developed area, but even these cities will have their typical third world issues.

Cape Town, for example, in a considerable area it feels like Australia with more electric fences, but in the same city there are still some ugly slums that no developed country could ever have.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:13 PM

10,486 posts, read 14,049,010 times
Shanghai and Sao Paulo come to mind.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:30 AM

490 posts, read 260,542 times
Bangkok?

Old 11-21-2018, 06:38 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,838,585 times
Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Budapest, Santiago, Chile are ones I've gone to.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:54 AM

7,574 posts, read 8,520,590 times
What is a third world country exactly? How is it defined in today's world?

Just wondering what separates China from America? China has several dozen modern, first-world cities right? America has swaths of rural, undeveloped country. From certain perspectives, there is also very backwards society living in some of those areas.

I just need clarity cause I feel like I have spent a lot of time in several possible options but I just figured they were developed cities in more or less developed countries...including the US.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:01 AM

3,184 posts, read 1,838,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

Just wondering what separates China from America? China has several dozen modern, first-world cities right? America has swaths of rural, undeveloped country. From certain perspectives, there is also very backwards society living in some of those areas.

I just need clarity cause I feel like I have spent a lot of time in several possible options but I just figured they were developed cities in more or less developed countries...including the US.
To me it's a country that has little resources, social services, infrastructure, and doesn't control their sewer smells and trash well.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:25 AM

247 posts, read 103,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

The development quality in even Tier 1 Chinese cities outside of Hong Kong is not on the caliber of US cities and the US is overall more universally well developed than China. Even small town rural America still looks first world.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:55 AM

817 posts, read 645,877 times
Cape Town? From what I've read 20% of the city is "shacks". Even here in Bogota most houses are made of bricks and have at least one or two public services.

Buenos Aires? lol no. I've seen to many "Telenoche" videos to think Bs As is remotely first world. this is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB6MRCXBYuI

Sao Paulo has a lot of favela.

As Eduardo Finnato said, cities in "third world" countries reflect the many issues their countries have, one way or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World