Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 12:51 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

Why are desert areas so popular for people to live in? Where do they think their water will come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 01:04 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
No idea. Deserts are ugly and boring.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Have you been there?

I hesitate to answer, as I don't live in the west/southwest, but love to visit...but

The big sky
The openness
The desert plants and shrubs and cacti
The unusual animals and birds
The southwestern, relaxed culture
The cultural history
The southwestern architecture and interior sw furnishings
The chance to be around Native Americans and their special culture
The canyons and mountains and mesas
The sw foods...restaurants, etc.

is that enough?

Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The State of Arizona has convinced most of its citizens that the state water projects guarantee them water well into the future. Residents of the greater Phoenix area and its suburbs, and even Tucson, believe this.

NM knows its on shaky ground. There have been time sin recent years, that the Rio Grande has run dry somewhere south of Albuquerque. But people who were born and raised here, to say nothing of the people, whose families have been here since before the US even existed, have deep roots in the area, so they're not going anywhere, until the situation gets dire.

I have no idea why people choose to live in the California desert: Palm Springs and the like, to say nothing of the Mojave towns, like Needles (it's a pretty raggedy place, that's seen better times), Barstow, etc. Some of those places ran out of water at one point, during the drought years (which still haven't really ended, but there's been enough rain in the last year to year-and-a-half, to enable people to pretend it's over).

Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have you been there?

I hesitate to answer, as I don't live in the west/southwest, but love to visit...but

The big sky
The openness
The desert plants and shrubs and cacti
The unusual animals and birds
The southwestern, relaxed culture
The cultural history
The southwestern architecture and interior sw furnishings
The chance to be around Native Americans and their special culture
The canyons and mountains and mesas
The sw foods...restaurants, etc.

is that enough?
Where did the OP mention the US

Old 11-20-2018, 02:21 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
I love living in the desert. I'm in Las Vegas, NV. Born and raised.

I love our constant sunshine here.
I love the wildlife and scenery.
I love all the hiking trails around.
I love that in the wintertime it's still 60 degrees and I can go outside in a t-shirt.
I love that it doesn't snow here, and barely rains.
I love 110 degrees of heat and intense sunlight. Definitely a desert rat and I soak it all up. Bring it on.
I LOVE our giant monsoon storms in the summer, very dramatic at times.
I love living here with proximity to so many natural parks and destinations.
I will say, I am a bit worried about the water availability in the future here in Las Vegas. That said, I'll relocate if it gets to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The State of Arizona has convinced most of its citizens that the state water projects guarantee them water well into the future. Residents of the greater Phoenix area and its suburbs, and even Tucson, believe this.
Do you have information that states otherwise?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:39 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Where did the OP mention the US

Old 11-21-2018, 05:51 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

Old 11-21-2018, 06:06 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

NM knows its on shaky ground. There have been time sin recent years, that the Rio Grande has run dry somewhere south of Albuquerque. But people who were born and raised here, to say nothing of the people, whose families have been here since before the US even existed, have deep roots in the area, so they're not going anywhere, until the situation gets dire.

I have no idea why people choose to live in the California desert: Palm Springs and the like, to say nothing of the Mojave towns, like Needles (it's a pretty raggedy place, that's seen better times), Barstow, etc. Some of those places ran out of water at one point, during the drought years (which still haven't really ended, but there's been enough rain in the last year to year-and-a-half, to enable people to pretend it's over).
Towns in Alabama ran dry in recent years.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Why are desert areas so popular for people to live in? Where do they think their water will come from?
There are different deserts that have different plusses and minuses but I''ll go with Arizona desert including Phoenix, Tucson and some higher elevation desert areas such as Sierra Vista. To me, plusses are:
1. Wide open spaces
2. Less humidity
3. If you have water, you can control the moisture your crops receive
4. In Phoenix, you have a very comfortable winter climate.
5. In higher elevation such as Sierra Vista, you get a very mild overall and comfortable climate.
6. Very little natural catastrophes
7. Combination of desert and mountains are beautiful
8. Generally less expensive

9. More sunshine (I like)

Cons:
1. Ugly (matter of taste and opinion). The mountains nearby mitigate this
2. You could have water issues

Obviously pros over cons for me. Mainly I hate humidity so deserts help.

As far as where do you think the water will come from, it just depends on where you're talking about...could be well, river or lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World