U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 12:30 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,362,241 times

Advertisements

Which country, in your opinion, has the most beautiful currency that is in use today? Or historically? In Europe, I have to give it to the Swiss. Each franc note is a work of art. World-wide, I think the most beautiful I've seen is the Fiji Dollar. I love the bright colors and tropical artwork.

Fiji Dollar:
http://www.rbf.gov.fj/docs2/Newspaper%20Supplement.pdf

Swiss Franc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_franc
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 02:25 PM

9,005 posts, read 5,096,408 times
The Fiji notes are indeed beautiful. The Swiss ones, on the other hand, seem a bit too much. They're like a tie-dyed shirt: lots of pretty colors, but the patterns are a bit too wavy.

I don't have an opinion as to the most beautiful currency in the world. But in general I prefer the ones where the different denominations of bills are of different colors. Not only is it appealing, but it makes it easier to tell at a quick glance which bill is which denomination. I know that euros are of different colors, as are Korean won. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off hand.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:35 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,054,576 times
When I travelled to Switzerland in 2014, I've got really impressed by the beauty of the Franc notes in the exchange houses. I never saw before something like that.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:41 PM

27,090 posts, read 7,942,541 times
Bahamas paper money

Old 11-27-2018, 03:15 PM

1,042 posts, read 1,362,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The Fiji notes are indeed beautiful. The Swiss ones, on the other hand, seem a bit too much. They're like a tie-dyed shirt: lots of pretty colors, but the patterns are a bit too wavy.

I don't have an opinion as to the most beautiful currency in the world. But in general I prefer the ones where the different denominations of bills are of different colors. Not only is it appealing, but it makes it easier to tell at a quick glance which bill is which denomination. I know that euros are of different colors, as are Korean won. I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them off hand.
Most currencies I’ve come across are not only different colors, but different sizes as well. The USA is unique in that it doesn’t have either of those features. For the amount of power and recognition behind the USD, it’s appearance is quite bland IMO

Old 11-27-2018, 05:38 PM

5,602 posts, read 8,669,243 times
Before the Euro came along I used to think the Dutch Guilders were very cool and modern looking with great colors- one bill was bright orange of course.

I don't know what their version of the Euro is and whether they maintained that look, I know each country can (or could) put a unique twist on currency issued there.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:43 PM

7,360 posts, read 4,585,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Most currencies I’ve come across are not only different colors, but different sizes as well. The USA is unique in that it doesn’t have either of those features. For the amount of power and recognition behind the USD, it’s appearance is quite bland IMO
The US Federal Reserve has been adding color to their banknotes, not sure the last time you've seen/used them. While they're not as bright and colorful as other countries, it's more on the subtle side and not overwhelming.

US $5 Purple Background
US $10 Orange Background
US $20 Green Background
US $50 Pink Background
US $100 Teal Background

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-27-2018 at 05:51 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 07:24 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,784,794 times
My favorite at the time I was there using it was Rhodesia

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...fuZrRsbDah_5M:

Historically, the best currency and stamps in Europe were Portugal

Old 11-28-2018, 03:41 PM

3,700 posts, read 13,697,226 times
I like the Cook Island $3 bills and they have 2 different $3 bills - the only place I know that has a $3 bill www.banknotes.com/ck6.htm

The Cook Island dollar is currently worth about 70 cents.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:49 PM

5,881 posts, read 2,784,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
the only place I know that has a $3 bill www.banknotes.com/ck6.htm
USSR (and before that, Russia) ad 3-ruble notes, which were beautiful

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...8lgL1dbDQKkvM:

Saudi Arabia struck coins in 4 qirsh denomination.

Last edited by cebuan; 11-28-2018 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World