Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:21 PM

278 posts, read 230,419 times

Advertisements

I am watching an entertaining American Series "Madam Secretary of State."-

The American interpreter is a very elegant lady.
In each chapter he receives some foreign diplomatic -Of the Europeans -The french is one a very sophisticated lady.The English a very elegant man ,the italian a distinguished man etc.-

This week came the Spanish moment and artist who made OF Spanish Diplomatic was a woman with a morbid fat and a tearful person without dignity something impossible in a Spanish diplomatic .Of that type OF person with fatness that usually only found in the USA and that you have to look with Lupa in Spain.-

I have seen photos of the last American Secretaries of State in the reality and the last Spanish State ministers were a beauty compared to the Americans and none was fat and less morbid.-ja ja ja .-///

The Comics always portrays enemies as fat ugly and cowardly.This stereotype must be what they teach in American Schools inherited from the secular struggle of the English Impire against Spanish and that pervades after many years and that exceeds time and reality.-

YOU THINK ITS LIKE THAT ? OR ARE THERE OTHER REASONS?-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 02:29 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
I am watching an entertaining American Series "Madam Secretary of State."-

The American interpreter is a very elegant lady.
In each chapter he receives some foreign diplomatic -Of the Europeans -The french is one a very sophisticated lady.The English a very elegant man ,the italian a distinguished man etc.-

This week came the Spanish moment and artist who made OF Spanish Diplomatic was a woman with a morbid fat and a tearful person without dignity something impossible in a Spanish diplomatic .Of that type OF person with fatness that usually only found in the USA and that you have to look with Lupa in Spain.-

I have seen photos of the last American Secretaries of State in the reality and the last Spanish State ministers were a beauty compared to the Americans and none was fat and less morbid.-ja ja ja .-///

The Comics always portrays enemies as fat ugly and cowardly.This stereotype must be what they teach in American Schools inherited from the secular struggle of the English Impire against Spanish and that pervades after many years and that exceeds time and reality.-

YOU THINK ITS LIKE THAT ? OR ARE THERE OTHER REASONS?-

What?
I was not aware of any negative Stereotype against the Spanish in American TV.
If anything most Spanish women in US TV or Hollywood are portrayed as the stereotypical "exotic" or "fiery" Latina. Think Penelope Crus, Paz Vega, Elsa Pataky etc....

Also the US press loves Letizia of Spain and always comments how stunning she is.

I'm not sure I see your point.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:03 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
I wasn't aware of any commonly portrayed negative stereotypes of the Spanish.

Mexico, yes.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:23 PM

278 posts, read 230,419 times
Mustermann.-

Thanks for your opinion.-
But it is evident that the beauty of the artistics or public people can not bee hidden in documentaries.-

I thought that this negative opinion had been changed by the many american travelers visit to Spain.But saw, in "Madam Secretary" that is not like that in the American Cinema.-.-

Its presents us as persons ugly fatness morbid and also cowardly and also without need.-

Because? I do not Know.-

Old 12-16-2018, 03:54 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
Mustermann.-

Thanks for your opinion.-
But it is evident that the beauty of the artistics or public people can not bee hidden in documentaries.-

I thought that this negative opinion had been changed by the many american travelers visit to Spain.But saw, in "Madam Secretary" that is not like that in the American Cinema.-.-

Its presents us as persons ugly fatness morbid and also cowardly and also without need.-

Because? I do not Know.-

I don't understand. How is it evident? Because of a documentary you watch? And where do you get this opinion that this somehow was/is a common perception Americans have of the Spanish, even if this one documentary would portray it as such?

I beg to differ, there never was or is a typical negative stereotype towards the Spanish. Certainly when it comes to beauty standards or sophistication and certainly not in the media landscape. If anything the US media likes to stereotype or associate (western) Europe with class and sophistication.

If there is an negative stereotype in the US media against Europeans it would be sadly towards eastern Europe.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:22 PM

622 posts, read 426,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

Mexico, yes.

Certainly not in Ireland, but some English and primitive Americans still cling to the Black Legend.
Just as the trashy Spanish politicians that are always talking about Gibraltar, when most people couldn't care less.
I just watched an English serial about Henry VIII and they portrayed Catalina de Aragón like some sort of Andalusian gypsy when she was perhaps the most English looking queen in the history of that country and a cousin of Henry VIII.
Beautiful woman.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 12-16-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 12-17-2018, 02:15 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
I think the OP's a bit paranoid, I don't think there's any negative stereotype of the Spanish Stateside. Maybe it's just in that show.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:16 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
I think the OP's a bit paranoid, I don't think there's any negative stereotype of the Spanish in the US. Maybe it's just in that show.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

Mexico, yes.
A lot of Americans don't know that Spain and Mexico are two different countries. I've had tons of People ask me where Portugal I generally have explained it shares a border with Spain some don't know where Spain is either and occasionally admit they thought it was south of the USA border because the people speak Spanish.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
What?
I was not aware of any negative Stereotype against the Spanish in American TV.
If anything most Spanish women in US TV or Hollywood are portrayed as the stereotypical "exotic" or "fiery" Latina. Think Penelope Crus, Paz Vega, Elsa Pataky etc....

Also the US press loves Letizia of Spain and always comments how stunning she is.

I'm not sure I see your point.

Agree. Don't remember any negative stereotypes of Spaniards...

I love Spain and the people I met there...

don't look for something that does not exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World