Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM

631 posts, read 562,781 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm not a local, but I used to live on St Lucia (the capital, Castries, to be exact). While there I met Barbadians, Martinicans, and Guyanese living there. I could always tell the difference between them and native St Lucians. It was in attitudes, the way they carried themselves publicly/socially and speech. However, with Dominicans (i.e., from Dominica), I could never tell the difference. I went to Dominica as well. They are virtually the same people. St Lucians would tell me the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 05:21 PM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Indonesians and Malaysians. Both speak the same language with a few variations. Both also have a Chinese community in their country so they cover the same ground there.

While I was in Malaysia, some Indonesians told me that they are of a fairer skin complexion then the Malays, though I’m not sure whether that holds true across the board.

Serbs and Croats are another one. What usually gives one away is the accent.
A big difference though there being Malaysians of Chinese origin speak a Chinese dialect, (easy to live a 'Chinese' lifestyle while Chinese of Indonesian nationality (much smaller in per cent terms) have been confined to only Indonesian tuition and pretty much made to conform to majority norms, over the decades, in the process.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM

10,645 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Can a guy from Eindhoven live in Antwerpen, work with colleagues, socialize with people, etc. without most people taking notice that he's not really from Flanders?
If he can speak with a Flemish accent sure.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Yes, I did not expect this and found it surprising.
I think you and I spoke about this in the past too.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM

631 posts, read 562,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
No Brazilians can rarely pick up the standard European Portuguese accent some east Europeans can though after a few years. If your referring to looks then yes some can but it becomes obvious after interacting. The Portuguese don't pick up the various Brazilian accents entirely either.
I've heard several stories of Brazilians who moved to Portugal having Portuguese people *correct* their language even years after living in the country. I read in another source that colloquial Brazilian Portuguese is akin to *vernacular* African-American English in terms of distance from the European standard/norm.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
Quote:

Guatemalans in Mexico?

I have thoughts on these but would like to hear your views.
Yes, Guatemalans are very similar to Southern Mexicans. Northern Mexicans not as much. Being right next door to Mexico, Guatemala is heavily influenced by Mexico. The accent is similar, though there are some differences, but Guatemalans use a lot of Mexican expressions and slang. Most Guatemalans could get by in Mexico undetected easily enough.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:24 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
I've been (unsuccessfully) asked for directions more than once while in London - of course, my accent gave me away, but the majority of my ancestry is British, and apparently I can pass as far as looks are concerned. I was on my own (i.e., not with a tour group or in an area popular with many American tourists) and dressed fairly unobtrusively each time, with nothing that screamed "American!!". It was also not the high tourist season, which enhanced my chances of passing.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:59 AM

990 posts, read 880,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
I've heard several stories of Brazilians who moved to Portugal having Portuguese people *correct* their language even years after living in the country. I read in another source that colloquial Brazilian Portuguese is akin to *vernacular* African-American English in terms of distance from the European standard/norm.
The African Portuguese speaker (Angolan, Cape Verdean, Mozambiquean) speak the language similar way than the European Portuguese form.

The difference from Brazilian Portuguese to Portuguese from Portugal is similar the difference from Argentinean Spanish to other countries where the language is spoken.

Portuguese from São Paulo was very inffluenced by Italians who learned spoke Portuguese informally, using Italian language norms and accent only changing Italian words for Portuguese words and the Portuguese from São Paulo influenced whole Brazil trough the media.

So yes most Brazilians speak wrong when in coloquial forme but we know the right form, specially when writing. People from South Brazil and Northeast Brazil speak correctly Portuguese, it is more something from Rio and São Paulo.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I've been (unsuccessfully) asked for directions more than once while in London - of course, my accent gave me away, but the majority of my ancestry is British, and apparently I can pass as far as looks are concerned. I was on my own (i.e., not with a tour group or in an area popular with many American tourists) and dressed fairly unobtrusively each time, with nothing that screamed "American!!". It was also not the high tourist season, which enhanced my chances of passing.
London is arguably the most cosmopolitan and racially mixed places on the planet, I am guessing it would be impossible NOT to look like a Londoner. Unless you are green skinned and purple haired then people will assume you are from London (actually even if you have purple hair).

Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM

630 posts, read 526,099 times
Quote:
What about people from Portugal? Can they easily pass for Brazilians? And vice-versa? (Especially Brazilians primarily of Portuguese origins?)
Oftentimes Brazilians and Portuguese can be told apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World