Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:50 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am a white guy with a black family, I live in a small town in the UK and I get the impression that different races are far more integrated in the UK, everything in the US seems to be race related - HOWEVER, I can only base my reasoning from one angle - the UK one, judging from what I read on here people in the US don't seem to have a clue about racial interaction in the UK so it figures its the same the 'other way', and of course its probably the same when it comes to Australia, Canada, France or any other multi racial society.
I agree that everything in the U.S. always seem to be race-related.

In countries like Canada where the U.S. cultural influence is so strong (not just in TV, movies, music and sports, but also news, academia, etc.) this means that oftentimes Canadian issues (which do exist BTW) that have little in common with what is going in the U.S. often get confused with the wider narrative beamed in from down south. This is unfortunate and has actually IMO led to situations getting worse in some Canadian cities, than they might otherwise have.

Note that this is not really the fault of the Americans, but rather of Canadians who mimic everything that comes from the U.S.

I mean, St. John's, Newfoundland which has a black population of 0.5% and has never had incidents between the police and the tiny black community, has an active local Black Lives Matter chapter. They've lobbied and protested for their local police to be excluded from the city's Pride parade, among other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am a white guy with a black family, I live in a small town in the UK and I get the impression that different races are far more integrated in the UK, everything in the US seems to be race related - HOWEVER, I can only base my reasoning from one angle - the UK one, judging from what I read on here people in the US don't seem to have a clue about racial interaction in the UK so it figures its the same the 'other way', and of course its probably the same when it comes to Australia, Canada, France or any other multi racial society.
Aren't the majority of nonwhites in the United Kingdom of Asian descent?

In the United States, Asian Americans are relatively well integrated into the mainstream (in modern times), at least socioeconomically. There aren't as many racial issues with Asian Americans compared with some other nonwhites.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Aren't the majority of nonwhites in the United Kingdom of Asian descent?

I think it's more of a mix.

There are lots of Asians in the sense of people from the "sub-continent" (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.) of South Asia but fewer people from eastern parts of Asia (China and vicinity) than you typically see in big cities in the U.S. and Canada.

But the number of people of African origin is very high as well. As many as or more than the Asians? Not sure. But it seems reasonably comparable. The black community in the UK is a mix of people primarily with roots in sub-Saharan Africa and the Caribbean.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:08 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If Australia is indeed more racist than the others then IMO it would be only very fractionally so.

Perhaps some people think that because Aussies tend to be more outspoken and less reserved than Canadians and Brits.

Though Americans aren't really reserved either and can be very outspoken as well. But everyone in the world does expect Americans to have "racial" issues of some kind. (Contrary to Aussies I suppose who aren't really known for this.)
Just read these forums

Old 02-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:

In countries like Canada where the U.S. cultural influence is so strong (not just in TV, movies, music and sports, but also news, academia, etc.) this means that oftentimes Canadian issues (which do exist BTW) that have little in common with what is going in the U.S. often get confused with the wider narrative beamed in from down south. This is unfortunate and has actually IMO led to situations getting worse in some Canadian cities, than they might otherwise have.

Note that this is not really the fault of the Americans, but rather of Canadians who mimic everything that comes from the U.S.

I mean, St. John's, Newfoundland which has a black population of 0.5% and has never had incidents between the police and the tiny black community, has an active local Black Lives Matter chapter. They've lobbied and protested for their local police to be excluded from the city's Pride parade, among other things.
There are all kinds of equality legislation in the UK, whilst the police generally don't carry guns and are accountable to independent investigative bodies such as the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

We certainly don't have the same level of 'Black Lives Matters' protests or other such racial based protests.

Equality and Human Rights Commission: Home Page

Independent Office for Police Conduct

The UK and indeed many parts of the world also have a different view when it comes to speech, and the police will take action in relation to threatening behaviour and harassment or the causing of alarm or distress.

I couldn't see an incident like the recent Covington Catholic High School incident in Washington DC happenning in the UK, as the so called Black Hebrew Israelites would have been warned under Section 5 of the public order act by the police and if they continued to use such racist and homophobic language they would have inevitable ended up in the back of a police van and a night in the cells, as well as possible criminal prosecution for inciting hatred through threatening words or behaviour.

Public Order Act 1986 - Legislation.gov.uk

Inciting Hatred: Race, Religion, or Sexual Orientation - InBrief.co.uk

Last edited by Brave New World; 02-04-2019 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-04-2019, 09:34 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
In reality, this has been exaggerated by politicians and the news media. It is about sensationalism and ratings.

It's not like there are constant race riots going on in America. You will rarely, if ever, see that in real life. Most people of all races get along fine in their day-to-day lives.

The persistent racial issue is racial inequality. Minorities are disproportionately lower income. And that is the root of many if not most race-related problems. Having said that, minorities are in fact doing better economically today than they have in just about any other time in U.S. history.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:20 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are all kinds of equality legislation in the UK, whilst the police generally don't carry guns and are accountable to independent investigative bodies such as the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

We certainly don't have the same level of 'Black Lives Matters' protests or other such racial based protests.

Equality and Human Rights Commission: Home Page

Independent Office for Police Conduct

The UK and indeed many parts of the world also have a different view when it comes to speech, and the police will take action in relation to threatening behaviour and harassment or the causing of alarm or distress.

I couldn't see an incident like the recent Covington Catholic High School incident in Washington DC happenning in the UK, as the so called Black Hebrew Israelites would have been warned under Section 5 of the public order act by the police and if they continued to use such racist and homophobic language they would have inevitable ended up in the back of a police van and a night in the cells, as well as possible criminal prosecution for inciting hatred through threatening words or behaviour.

Public Order Act 1986 - Legislation.gov.uk

Inciting Hatred: Race, Religion, or Sexual Orientation - InBrief.co.uk

Sounds very sensible to me. I do want to add that in the US, it is not legal to make threats. Too bad we will never add hate speech to that.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In reality, this has been exaggerated by politicians and the news media. It is about sensationalism and ratings.

It's not like there are constant race riots going on in America. You will rarely, if ever, see that in real life. Most people of all races get along fine in their day-to-day lives.

The persistent racial issue is racial inequality. Minorities are disproportionately lower income. And that is the root of many if not most race-related problems. Having said that, minorities are in fact doing better economically today than they have in just about any other time in U.S. history.
Yup. Agreed.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds very sensible to me. I do want to add that in the US, it is not legal to make threats. Too bad we will never add hate speech to that.
As you can imagine, Canada is somewhat more similar to Britain in this respect. That's why on forums such as these and also in the media, you often have Americans alleging that Canada doesn't really have freedom of speech.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:

Its a nice propaganda thats spread about the US. There is race problem everywhere, its much better in US than anywhere else. If there was no integration, you wouldnt have so many stars that you see in NBA, NFL or Athletics.

See media lost out on their ad revenues to FB, Google etc. They need ads and stories to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World