Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 12:45 PM

170 posts, read 71,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Fair enough.

Do those in the Mediterranean represent the majority of Africans, or just a percentage of a few countries population?
I assume it represents a small minority of people who'd like to live in Europe, since these people are taking extraordinary risks that most people would naturally be afraid to take. If tens of thousands are willing to cross deserts and seas, leaving themselves at the mercy of violent human traffickers, with no guarantee that they will be allowed to stay, how many more would take the opportunity if it was made much easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,322,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyIndecisive View Post
I assume it represents a small minority of people who'd like to live in Europe, since these people are taking extraordinary risks that most people would naturally be afraid to take. If tens of thousands are willing to cross deserts and seas, leaving themselves at the mercy of violent human traffickers, with no guarantee that they will be allowed to stay, how many more would take the opportunity if it was made much easier?
Exactly, thank you.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:28 PM

26,807 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its a nice propaganda thats spread about the US. There is race problem everywhere, its much better in US than anywhere else. If there was no integration, you wouldnt have so many stars that you see in NBA, NFL or Athletics.

See media lost out on their ad revenues to FB, Google etc. They need ads and stories to sell.
Yes. I go to the U.S. a lot and the situation in real life isn't really the way it's depicted in the media and popular culture. Though there are occasional "dust-ups" it's true.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:40 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,017,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I would be interested to know examples of the types of racism that caused concern.
Black people more likely to be injured or killed by Toronto Police officers, report finds
While black people made up only 8.8 per cent of Toronto’s population in 2016, the report found they were involved in seven out of 10 cases of fatal shootings by police during the latter period. It found that black people (and specifically black men) were overrepresented in everything from investigations into use of force and sexual assault by police, to inappropriate or unjustified searches and charges.https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-use-of-force/

Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,017,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If Australia is indeed more racist than the others then IMO it would be only very fractionally so.

Perhaps some people think that because Aussies tend to be more outspoken and less reserved than Canadians and Brits.

Though Americans aren't really reserved either and can be very outspoken as well. But everyone in the world does expect Americans to have "racial" issues of some kind. (Contrary to Aussies I suppose who aren't really known for this.)
Sure many Australians are outspoken, however, I don't find Aussies less reserved than Brits. Sure the Australian government is conservative and the government MPs complaining about African crime and make statements such as Melbourne not safe due to the Africans, and Canada ruling party is seen as progressive, however under the surface it is not such as:While black people made up only 8.8 per cent of Toronto’s population in 2016, the report found they were involved in seven out of 10 cases of fatal shootings by police during the latter period. It found that black people (and specifically black men) were overrepresented in everything from investigations into use of force and sexual assault by police, to inappropriate or unjustified searches and chargeshttps://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-report-reveals-racial-disparities-in-toronto-polices-use-of-force https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-use-of-force/

Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM

26,807 posts, read 37,843,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Sure many Australians are outspoken, however, I don't find Aussies less reserved than Brits. Sure the Australian government is conservative and the government MPs complaining about African crime and make statements such as Melbourne not safe due to the Africans, and Canada ruling party is seen as progressive, however under the surface it is not such as:While black people made up only 8.8 per cent of Toronto’s population in 2016, the report found they were involved in seven out of 10 cases of fatal shootings by police during the latter period. It found that black people (and specifically black men) were overrepresented in everything from investigations into use of force and sexual assault by police, to inappropriate or unjustified searches and chargeshttps://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/toronto/article-report-reveals-racial-disparities-in-toronto-polices-use-of-force https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-use-of-force/
Not sure what you are trying to prove. No one ever said that Canada was a racial paradise.

Enlightened Canadians are aware of the situation with young black males in Toronto (and to some degree in Ottawa). It's probably the second-most serious such issue in the country after the one that involves the much much larger indigenous population that basically exists with varying degrees of tragedy from coast to coast to coast. (Yes, we have three coasts.)

Old 02-04-2019, 03:50 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,353,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure what you are trying to prove. No one ever said that Canada was a racial paradise.

Enlightened Canadians are aware of the situation with young black males in Toronto (and to some degree in Ottawa). It's probably the second-most serious such issue in the country after the one that involves the much much larger indigenous population that basically exists with varying degrees of tragedy from coast to coast to coast. (Yes, we have three coasts.)
There is definitely racism against Natives. Though I have to say the situation with them is a little different. Natives have definitely been wronged in the past and they are having a very very very hard time overcoming these traumas.

Racism is not an issue that is swept under the rug. I live in Manitoba and every day when I am in my car I hear something about First nations related on CBC radio. I have a native worker who is always talking about how we live in a system of white oppression, yet she was hired buy a white person, she goes to a white school and had her schooling payed for by tax payers. She drives a brand new car, likes to spend money on designer clothes and cocaine. Call in sick to work when she feels like it.....yet she feels oppressed. She does not accept criticism for her mediocre work and accuses everyone of being racist. This person does has no idea how good she has it. I see a lot of this **** out here in Manitoba. According to the majority of Natives out here I talk to most whites are racist, the government is bad and prefers to help immigrants over them. I swear I hear this every day.

I feel for them because they were screwed over in the past. But I personally know people who have been through much worse. (war, massacres, losing entire families, rape etc) and are as dark skinned as can be and have excelled in this country, racism or not and without much help. There are opportunities here for everyone. I am sure I will get criticism for this post but it is what it is. This is just my opinion.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM

14,831 posts, read 11,956,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Aren't the majority of nonwhites in the United Kingdom of Asian descent?

In the United States, Asian Americans are relatively well integrated into the mainstream (in modern times), at least socioeconomically. There aren't as many racial issues with Asian Americans compared with some other nonwhites.
I don't know, there are millions of 'non-whites' of all denominations in the UK, I get the feeling that the diversity of the UK (specifically but not exclusively England) is somewhat under estimated 'over there', not just diversity of skin colour either! The South West or far North are probably the least diverse places in the country. I don't live in a city but I do live in the SE of the UK (between London and Brighton), if I could show you my daughters school photograph you would get an idea as to just how diverse her class is - I genuinely think it would surprise you somewhat, that's one reason why I think that none of us can really appreciate 'race relations' in each others countries, I did work with a French woman of Ghanaian heritage that told me racism was a lot worse in France but even then it could have perhaps just been her own unfortunate experience..............she now lives and works in Germany.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:51 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,330,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I find Aussies and Brits to be quite different in terms of what they're willing to be talkative or open about. But the whole issues of ethnicity, race and diversity is something the average Aussie is quite sensitive to. Why? If you're not an immigrant yourself, have a parent who is, or have grandparents who were/are, you're actually in a comparatively small demographic.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,288,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I find Aussies and Brits to be quite different in terms of what they're willing to be talkative or open about. But the whole issues of ethnicity, race and diversity is something the average Aussie is quite sensitive to. Why? If you're not an immigrant yourself, have a parent who is, or have grandparents who were/are, you're actually in a comparatively small demographic.
Yes, I am in my sixties and I have only one grandparent not born in Australia, who arrived from Scotland at the age of about four. My background in this regard is quite unusual and I do not think I have any friends the same. I think Australians get defensive about the problems that the Aboriginal population have. The media and some foreign commentators like to highlight the worst problems, which are undeniable. But they ignore the statistics that show that most people of Aboriginal background live in the main cities and about eighty percent of these people have partners who are not Aboriginal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World