Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
Canada 45 27.95%
United Kingdom 36 22.36%
Australia 52 32.30%
New Zealand 28 17.39%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 05:31 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
You can’t go wrong with either the UK or Australia. Both are amongst the best countries in the world.
I think this thread is really about which country people would choose, as they are all quite different - not so much a competition between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 PM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
21C in winter would be record breaking and uncomfortably hot in my part of Aus. The UK had hot weather in the summer too apparently that was a good deal hotter than 21C, into the mid 30Cs.

An Australian heatwave frightening? No really, I was way more uncomfortable on a mid 20s day in the British Isles than on a mid 30s day in any Australian city, because nothing there is built to deal with warmer temperatures.

Australia, even across coastal areas, offers climate choices that the UK can never hope to match. The northern coast of Tasmania for example, is vastly different than Sydney, let alone the Gold Cast, Cairns or Darwin. Inland locations are equally varied; in parts of the interior you'd probably complain about how cold it is on winter mornings, or how wet it is closer to the tropical north

There's a big difference between 30 °C (86 °F) and 50 °C (120 °F).

I couldn't cope with 50 °C (120 °F).

Australia is a large country but most Brits are happiest around the Melbourne and Sydney areas, which is where a lot of the population is, other parts of Australia are far more remote and even cut off. As for the UK, it has the whole opf Europe on it's doorstep.

Australia is a great coiuntry, as indeed are Canada and New Zealand, and they all have their pros and cons.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:43 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

There's a big difference between 30 °C (86 °F) and 50 °C (120 °F).

I couldn't cope with 50 °C (120 °F).

Australia is a large country but most Brits are happiest around the Melbourne and Sydney areas, which is where a lot of the population is, other parts of Australia are far more remote and even cut off. As for the UK, it has the whole opf Europe on it's doorstep.

Australia is a great coiuntry, as indeed are Canada and New Zealand, and they all have their pros and cons.

Actually, most UK migrants have settled in NSW that is true, but still in per cent terms, only adds up to 3.6%.

Well WA, and Perth in particular, steam ahead at 9.4% of the population born in UK. (233.044 in number)Perth, remote as it is, has long been a favourite with UK migrants. Probably, not to the same extent, as was once, but still considerable. It was only last year I noted, UK had been overtaken by India as main source of migrants.

Even SA, Adelaide, hardly a migrant magnet, is 6.9% of its population born in UK.

While VIC, Melbourne, has only 3.5% born in UK.

The question being, just what constitutes a great country? All Anglo countries are settler countries, especially outside UK.

Indeed pro and con's exist with all.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:53 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Firstly the island is Great Britain, secondly you are by all accounts an American who moved to London and is hardly an expert on the entire country and finally in terms of geography and travel you can easily travel across Europe from the UK, indeed you can catch a train in the morning and be in the South of France by Lunch time.

Britain is not a bad place to live, indeed lots pof Australia is outback and fairly desolate, the Australian coast and certain populated areas constitute most of the areas where people choose to live. Whilst the recent Australian heatwave was actually frightening in terms of it's intensity, with lots of animals killed and indeed people. Personally I enjoy mild winters and cool summers rather than sweltering in very hot tempretures of 50C (120F).

Bats dying 'on biblical scale' due to record-breaking Australia heatwave - The Independent

Adelaide breaks its all-time heat record, hitting 46.6C, in extreme Australia heatwave - The Guardian

Roads melt and animals drop dead amid 120F Australian heatwave - Daily Mail

Australian heatwave smashes record, 50C forecast - RTE

Australia's historic heatwave continues as temperatures stay above 40c - Evening Standard (London)
A massive flood in north west QLD killed an estimated 300,000 head of cattle only a couple of weeks ago

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...a-lon-orig.cnn

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-04-2019 at 07:12 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
A massive flood in north west QLD killed an estimated 300,000 head of cattle only a couple of weeks ago

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...a-lon-orig.cnn
I don’t know anyone would complain about Australia’s climate: heat waves, flood, drought, cyclones, monsoonal rainfall, unseasonal snow falls, we’ve got it all, and quite often all at the same time...

Old 03-04-2019, 08:19 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Anywhere but NZ! Why? Because my worthless brother-in-law lives there!

Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Actually, most UK migrants have settled in NSW that is true, but still in per cent terms, only adds up to 3.6%.

Well WA, and Perth in particular, steam ahead at 9.4% of the population born in UK. (233.044 in number)Perth, remote as it is, has long been a favourite with UK migrants. Probably, not to the same extent, as was once, but still considerable. It was only last year I noted, UK had been overtaken by India as main source of migrants.

Even SA, Adelaide, hardly a migrant magnet, is 6.9% of its population born in UK.

Adelaide’s overseas born is still over 26% of its total population, which isn’t too far short of the national figure of 28%, so while not a migrant magnet it gets a fair share of new arrivals.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:17 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
All of those countries would be acceptable places to live, all places who share our Anglo culture. All equally developed, all wealthy nations. I believe it is very easy for residents of an Anglophone nation to adapt to another Anglophone nation. This would be a more interesting thread if the question included nations from outside the Anglosphere, truly foreign nations.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:08 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I think this thread is really about which country people would choose, as they are all quite different - not so much a competition between them.
True, they all have their merits.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 PM

783 posts, read 694,464 times
Personally I would love Australia since it seems that their major cities are nice and have great weather. However the fact that it is isolated from the western world would be a bummer. I like the location of Europe being next to nations that I would enjoy visiting and maybe live for a couple of years - except the cold. Canada is nice but I have never had a desire to live there, visit definitely, and I will this summer, but live there, not so much. Maybe visiting will change my mind. On net I would pick Australia, but only slightly. I would rather live in Melbourne or Sydney than London or Toronto at the end of the day. New Zealand is great but a little too small for my taste. Australia for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World