Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
Canada 45 27.95%
United Kingdom 36 22.36%
Australia 52 32.30%
New Zealand 28 17.39%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
As a proportion of the total population, native Americans don’t significantly outnumber indigenous Australians.
Errrm yeah they do a HUGE amount! Especially when you include the mixed populations.

PS: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon are ethnic variables, practically nothing to do with political leanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 04:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The total number is actually going down, though if that is due to brits returning or deaths i am not sure. A lot thoes immigrants from the UK came after WW2, and are now getting very old, the average age of British/Australians is now about 60.
You are correct. It is mostly due to an ageing UK born population. In days past, British made up the bulk of population arriving. Those days, long gone. Hence UK born population in decline.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Errrm yeah they do a HUGE amount! Especially when you include the mixed populations.

PS: Celtic or Anglo-Saxon are ethnic variables, practically nothing to do with political leanings.
Are you sure you’ve checked US and American census results on that?

In 19th century Australia the political outlook of Irish Australians in large part reflected that of Southern Ireland itself. That was a pretty turbulent time in Irish history.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Are you sure you’ve checked US and American census results on that?

In 19th century Australia the political outlook of Irish Australians in large part reflected that of Southern Ireland itself. That was a pretty turbulent time in Irish history.
1. Native Americans are from the the entire American continent not just the United States of America. My reference was Latin America in my previous argument, how you reduced it to just the Natives in the United States is anyone's guess.

2. Currently 2019 Scotland has very different political leanings to 2019 England. Does that make it any less "Anglo" in the loose global context? Political leanings switch back and forth again little to do with the ethnic-linguistic term Anglo or Celt/Briton.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:01 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
1. Native Americans are from the the entire American continent not just the United States of America. My reference was Latin America in my previous argument, how you reduced it to just the Natives in the United States is anyone's guess.

2. Currently 2019 Scotland has very different political leanings to 2019 England. Does that make it any less "Anglo" in the loose global context? Political leanings switch back and forth again little to do with the ethnic-linguistic term Anglo or Celt/Briton.
Its a pretty mild political difference compared to that between the British and the Irish in the 19th century. The last time I was the RoI, the period before self rule was often referred to as "the British occupation". You need to remember why a lot of Irish ended up in Australia in that era. The British and Irish in early Australia were separated by ethnicity, religion, fundamental political views and outlooks, and often language, and those features shaped Australia of that period.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:01 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Just to answer the question - I'd probably pick the UK.

My area, Metro Detroit, is technically North of the Canadian border, so why would I want to move further north (assuming I didn't choose to move to Windsor)? Also, I have to consider that Windsor is considered by some to be a part of the greater Metro Detroit area (a lot of work/goods flow from the border region). So, moving to Canada just seems kind of meh - for lack of a better word. I like vacationing in Canada, but I love coming home to the States - it just is what it is.

We already have Timmy's, the CBC is part of our cable TV packages and we can pick up CBC radio and the other broadcast stations from Windsor. We already know what curling and hockey are - so there's really isn't a "wow" or compelling factor that attracts a lot of us to Canada. (These days, gay people can get married here too!)

The weather just gets worse as you go further north (except in the summer). So, that just makes things seem more dreary, especially when you think about the weather.

Not that the UK's weather is that great - and they are also further north than we are, but that's where some of my ancestors came from, so it seems like a reasonable choice. However, I hear they get a lot less snow than we do. That's really appealing.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Just to answer the question - I'd probably pick the UK.

My area, Metro Detroit, is technically North of the Canadian border, so why would I want to move further north (assuming I didn't choose to move to Windsor)? Also, I have to consider that Windsor is considered by some to be a part of the greater Metro Detroit area (a lot of work/goods flow from the border region). So, moving to Canada just seems kind of meh - for lack of a better word. I like vacationing in Canada, but I love coming home to the States - it just is what it is.

We already have Timmy's, the CBC is part of our cable TV packages and we can pick up CBC radio and the other broadcast stations from Windsor. We already know what curling and hockey are - so there's really isn't a "wow" or compelling factor that attracts a lot of us to Canada. (These days, gay people can get married here too!)

The weather just gets worse as you go further north (except in the summer). So, that just makes things seem more dreary, especially when you think about the weather.

Not that the UK's weather is that great - and they are also further north than we are, but that's where some of my ancestors came from, so it seems like a reasonable choice. However, I hear they get a lot less snow than we do. That's really appealing.
Windsor is not all of Canada. It would be like me judging all of the US by Buffalo, NY.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:44 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,424 times
UK by far. Right next to Europe, easy access to Asia from Heathrow.
Australia and NZ have exceptional environment but I definitely would feel weird, lonely and far away from a lot of countries that I love.
Canada would be great, climate is a nono tho, and huge countries are pretty annoying when it comes to travel and leave your city easily, like a week end... Australia and Canada are so huge when you are european...
When I see a Toronto Montreal is 500 km ...ufff. I d rather do London Edinburgh, or London / Bruxelle / Paris ...

Old 03-28-2019, 06:49 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,549 times
I would select Australia as I feel its the most accepting of Americans. Brits and Canadians in general aren't too font of Americans.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I would select Australia as I feel its the most accepting of Americans. Brits and Canadians in general aren't too font of Americans.
That's simply not true, well for Britons anyway (Canadians will have to answer for the Canadians).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World