Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times

Advertisements

You are 18 now living with your parents working on a fruit farm in Kosan barely surviving,
you got a get out of the military card thanks to your 21 year old sister who is one of Kim's entertainment girls, your 24 year old brother is in prison for selling hollywood movies (VHS) and you don't know when he's coming out, you don't have any real friends, you figured out that your country is a dictatorship that lives on propaganda... what would you do?

Would you try to escape? By yourself or would you take your parents with you even though they could slow you down a lot and might get you caught? Which route would you take? China/South Korea/Pacific Ocean?
Would you try to start a movement or go undercover in the military and take advantage of your sister's connections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
South Korea but mostly 'cause I am such a fanatical fan of this country I even lack the empathy to see the world from "other's eyes" despite your colorful description above lol.

Still if my situation is as complex as you say I'd think about starting a rebellion somehow without crossing the border to the south.

Also let me add that MAYBE not everything you read about NK is the sore truth. Many stories are made up...imagine the west having to deal with a small kingdom without natural resources whose only use is to potentially nuke america. It's worse than Russia, since Russia loves to launder money for americans/british oligarchs and anyone while NK is just useless...when it comes to money.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:19 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
That’s hard to answer, since our perspective would change. Looking at it from an outside point of view we would draw different conclusions. As a NK, we would have effectively been raised in that kind of society, so our viewpoints would be quite different. Even knowing your brother is imprisoned might not make you wish to take action.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
SK is a better choice as they seem to have a better QOL but it seems China would be the better route & many defectors have come into China ... however China has an agreement with NK though that if a defector is caught, they’ll bring them back to NK ... I don’t think SK has any kind of thing like that ...

Hmmm tough one. I think my parents would tell me to just go without them but of course I’d love for them to come

Old 05-07-2019, 05:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,994 times
I think this is one of those situations that is impossible to know unless you're in it. It's really easy to say "oh yes obviously I'd escape, I have nothing to lose," but I have never been in a situation where I've had to gamble my entire life, and that of my entire extended family, and we are looking at this from an outside perspective. It's easy to say "you figured out that your country is a dictatorship that lives on propaganda," but how much can one living under that regime truly see of their country from an outside perspective if they've lived their entire life in that situation?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:42 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
There is always the option of joining the ruling party and working hard to rise to an influential position. Same as you would do in the US -- make the best of what the system has to offer, regardless of how distasteful the career may be.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
It's easy to say "you figured out that your country is a dictatorship that lives on propaganda," but how much can one living under that regime truly see of their country from an outside perspective if they've lived their entire life in that situation?
You didn't watch the movies that your brother sold? I would.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
It's easy to say "you figured out that your country is a dictatorship that lives on propaganda," but how much can one living under that regime truly see of their country from an outside perspective if they've lived their entire life in that situation?

I spent several months in Eastern Europe in the 60s, mostly in Ceausescu's Romania, and believe me, the people had it figured out.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 AM

Let just say if you decided to escape... How are you going to do it? Crossing the river to China or swim to South Korea?

How long can the average human survive in the Sea of Japan in the warmest month?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:47 AM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I spent several months in Eastern Europe in the 60s, mostly in Ceausescu's Romania, and believe me, the people had it figured out.
Or you can start anti-totalitarian dictatorship resistance, form sort of Solidarity (Solidarnosc) and end the misery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World