Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 AM

282 posts, read 962,775 times

Advertisements

In which countries is it already safe to use the cannabis? In Canada the prohibition has recently been abolished (in the English speaking part completely), in the USA there are some states which sell weed like in the Netherlands but have a limited growing rights (apartheid). Are there countries which may be prone to legalize marijuana in the future?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 01:56 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
https://www.420beginner.com/cannabis-legality-global/

Old 04-07-2019, 01:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
In which countries is it already safe to use the cannabis? In Canada the prohibition has recently been abolished (in the English speaking part completely), in the USA there are some states which sell weed like in the Netherlands but have a limited growing rights (apartheid). Are there countries which may be prone to legalize marijuana in the future?
It was a federal law, so it includes ALL of Canada, including Quebec.

That said, each province sets it's own rules on how to dispense, sell or manage it.

For example the federal government has set a legal limit of four plants per household that you can grow. Quebec and Manitoba, chose not to allow home growing, but the rest of Canada does allow it.

Here in BC the provincial government has made it legal for Strata's ( Condo building boards ) to vote on whether they will allow people to grow or smoke cannabis in their buildings. Mine has voted not to allow it to be grown or smoked in the building.

The link provided by elnina, has Ontario listed as not being able to grown your own. I believe this is incorrect, they can grow up to four plants.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It was a federal law, so it includes ALL of Canada, including Quebec.

That said, each province sets it's own rules on how to dispense, sell or manage it.

For example the federal government has set a legal limit of four plants per household that you can grow. Quebec and Manitoba, chose not to allow home growing, but the rest of Canada does allow it.

Here in BC the provincial government has made it legal for Strata's ( Condo building boards ) to vote on whether they will allow people to grow or smoke cannabis in their buildings. Mine has voted not to allow it to be grown or smoked in the building.

The link provided by elnina, has Ontario listed as not being able to grown your own. I believe this is incorrect, they can grow up to four plants.
Thanks for your reaction! Well its not fully legal if you cannot grow it right, unless the minimal allowed income in Canada is like 10 thousand dollars per month.. Its like having 2 sips of beer per life and saying you are an alcoholic.
Ill admit I didnt know about Manitoba, but my point still stands I am a multilingual person but that doesnt mean I will just speak another language if I dont want to right, if you are from Manitoba you could just move to other province without being culturally damaged in a real way.
I guess its important whether its allowed in social housing, I doubt you can vote on that there(?). I mean if you are rich enough to get your own place I guess you can choose one anyways so that makes no difference in practice.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:45 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reaction! Well its not fully legal if you cannot grow it right, unless the minimal allowed income in Canada is like 10 thousand dollars per month.. Its like having 2 sips of beer per life and saying you are an alcoholic.
Ill admit I didnt know about Manitoba, but my point still stands I am a multilingual person but that doesnt mean I will just speak another language if I dont want to right, if you are from Manitoba you could just move to other province without being culturally damaged in a real way.
I guess its important whether its allowed in social housing, I doubt you can vote on that there(?). I mean if you are rich enough to get your own place I guess you can choose one anyways so that makes no difference in practice.
This is Quebec, though. If people want to grow their marijuana at home they'll do it anyway. They were even doing it before the law was changed...

With BC, Quebec was probably the most relaxed place in Canada when it comes to marijuana. That might be one of the reasons why the government here is a bit less "all-in" in reaction to the changes in the law. (Not sure about BC's approach.)

Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is Quebec, though. If people want to grow their marijuana at home they'll do it anyway. They were even doing it before the law was changed...
Well clearly that doesnt make any sense, people who grow marijuana with the intent to commit a crime are generally not users of marijuana but are selling to the users who thereby have a lesser criminal intent, so the people who grow marijuana do not "want" to do it, and the people who want to do it will not just do it anyways obviously.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Well clearly that doesnt make any sense, people who grow marijuana with the intent to commit a crime are generally not users of marijuana but are selling to the users who thereby have a lesser criminal intent, so the people who grow marijuana do not "want" to do it, and the people who want to do it will not just do it anyways obviously.
Well, I am not an expert on marijuana culture but if you're going to grow it for criminal intent there is a huge amount of open isolated land not too far from the cities where you can cultivate a large amount in relative secrecy and make lots of money. (You don't even need to own the land yourself! Drug producers/dealers "squat" their production on other people's land all the time.)

Here, you don't grow a small amount in a city or town if you want to sell it as an illegal activity. So people growing it at home are probably doing so for their own personal use.

Last edited by Acajack; 04-08-2019 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-08-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
It is fully legal, but like all substances there are restrictions. Would you say driving isn't fully legal because there are speed limits, or alcohol because of age restriction etc?

Old 04-08-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

With BC, Quebec was probably the most relaxed place in Canada when it comes to marijuana. That might be one of the reasons why the government here is a bit less "all-in" in reaction to the changes in the law. (Not sure about BC's approach.)
Honestly in this case Quebec, it isn't being relaxed at all. The reason for the four plant rule is because they know some people would want to grow their own, and four plants is a reasonable amount. Saves on having to waste police time with busybody's.

By having no plants allowed does what? If they really are relaxed, who would they care about four plants. Also, Quebec is the only province pushing for the age to be 21 to smoke and buy cannabis. Again, why? It's not going to stop someone younger.

It seems like a lot of extra effort that just makes no sense.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Honestly in this case Quebec, it isn't being relaxed at all. The reason for the four plant rule is because they know some people would want to grow their own, and four plants is a reasonable amount. Saves on having to waste police time with busybody's.

By having no plants allowed does what? If they really are relaxed, who would they care about four plants. Also, Quebec is the only province pushing for the age to be 21 to smoke and buy cannabis. Again, why? It's not going to stop someone younger.

It seems like a lot of extra effort that just makes no sense.
Yeah, that's why I said Quebec "was" one of the most relaxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World