Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times

Advertisements

So I go down the per-cap gdp list to see the qualifying "first world" countries. Hmm. Qatar Macao Luxembourg Singapore Brunei. Slam dunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 05:01 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
This is why I plan on leaving. I'm tired of the huge divide politicians are causing between everyone.

Ditto! My thoughts exactly!!! There is such thing as good culture shock. My wife is from Philippines. We will go for an occasional visit and I'm shocked at how unified the citizens are compared to the brutal division that we face in America. Over there, it's like one big inclusive party.

Not entirely sure I'd want to live in Philippines full time (for me the biggest hurdle is the food) but seeing a country in which it's citizens more or less get along is wonderful. Does make you wonder why we can't do the same in the States.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:31 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,021,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
So I go down the per-cap gdp list to see the qualifying "first world" countries. Hmm. Qatar Macao Luxembourg Singapore Brunei. Slam dunk.

You can't be part of the first world and have islamic laws.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:52 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes! especially when they discover that those countries are advanced and developed - no worse than the US, and people in most other developed countries have a way better quality of life.

Where have YOU traveled to?
I was a bit taken aback when I went to Russia in 2000. After spending years in the US Navy during the height of the cold war and knowing Russia as "The Enemy" I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the Russian peoples. I traveled to several areas including Moscow, St Petersburg and all the way out to Omsk in Siberia and found for the most part, Happy, friendly people. However I was totally surprised even shocked that many of them lived in what I considered at the time pretty humble surroundings. Big apartment blocks in the city's and pretty poor villages in the country (most did not have running water even!) Other than that, Yes Germany, Finland, Estonia, Holland, Australia and most of the Asian country's except Vietnam. In Africa only Somalia but i'd like to go to SA and Namibia

Old 05-31-2019, 02:09 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post

You can't be part of the first world and have islamic laws.
We'll soon see about that.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:30 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Ditto! My thoughts exactly!!! There is such thing as good culture shock. My wife is from Philippines. We will go for an occasional visit and I'm shocked at how unified the citizens are compared to the brutal division that we face in America. Over there, it's like one big inclusive party.

Not entirely sure I'd want to live in Philippines full time (for me the biggest hurdle is the food) but seeing a country in which it's citizens more or less get along is wonderful. Does make you wonder why we can't do the same in the States.
The food. There’s a reason you don’t see many Philippine restaurants competing around the world with other Asian cuisines.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes! especially when they discover that those countries are advanced and developed - no worse than the US, and people in most other developed countries have a way better quality of life.

Where have YOU traveled to?

If you think Japan or South Korea have a better quality of life than the US, you haven't been there. Fascinating places to visit, but every time it's time to head home, I thank my lucky stars that it's not where I live.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 PM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
Japan has a better quality of life than the USA. South Korea, not sure.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Japan has a better quality of life than the USA. South Korea, not sure.

If you want to live like a hen a battery cage, forced to lay eggs your entire life, it's friggen awesome.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:34 PM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
I lived 4 years in South Korea. There is some initial culture shock, but overall, it is pretty westernized.
There are lots of traditional aspects that may seem suffocating. But as foreigner, you are not really expected to deal with those.
They way Koreans especially younger ones, dress, talk, act. They are familiar with American music (rap/pop/etc), all American movies. A lot of American fast food chains from Krispy Krame, to McDonalds, Burger King.
Some odd things I found in Korea:
1. Romanticization of being in a relationship/being lonely is just plain sad. Lots of cute cafes/restaurants are mostly for couples, matching couple clothing, lots of love Kdramas.
2. really into cute/pretty things. versus in America where people think of that as Chessey. Americans are more into cool/edgy.
3. Sense of conformity. Kids wear glasses glasses to fit in with other students who 1/2 wear glasses. Adjosshis and adjummas wear full on hiking clothes to do some light hiking. Not that different than living in Stepford. People wearing pastels, pearl necklaces, drive an SUV. That kind of comformity.

Otherwise Korea is very modern. World class public transit system, world class airport. It is really crowded in cities with huge populations in little land with lots of mountains, so they crowd people in cities and use whatever available land for farming or nature. In America it is build build suburban tract homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World