Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The food. There’s a reason you don’t see many Philippine restaurants competing around the world with other Asian cuisines.
And it's tragic! Philippines has some of the best beaches on the planet and yet it will never be seen as a serious international travel destination because of the food. My wife was born and raised in the Philippines. They tend to have a "good enough" mentality in life and this doesn't translate well to cultivation of quality food. To them, all you need is a bit of cooked pork, rice, soy sauce and vinegar and it's an acceptable meal.

Oh well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 07:41 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Yup. And nothing like Balut to tickle the taste buds.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 AM

8 posts, read 3,805 times
As an American who has travelled extensively, a lot of countries cause some culture shock, even first world countries because America is such a new and unique country in the world. As an American who has just moved to England, the biggest culture shock is how reserved the English are. They have manners, please, thank you, just like Americans do. However the English are obviously less smiley happy outgoing as Americans and much more stern and serious in their facial expressions. Even in grocery stores the cashier does not make small talk, and in some places does not even greet you. In clothing stores in the US, sales assistants always ask if you need help, even if you don't whereas in England they don't even say hello when you walk in the door even if they are standing facing the door, what I assumed was to greet customers. Making small talk is also uncommon and nobody talks to strangers or says hello in passing or even makes eye contact. However, the English co-workers I have met where I work are all nice once you get to know them despite not having that stereotypical happy go lucky American exterior. Having travelled elsewhere in Europe, the same is true in Poland and Germany and Scandinavia. I have found Southern Europeans to be reserved also, but not as much as Northern Europeans they can be louder and more expressive when they communicate, but small talk and smiling a lot is not as common as back in the US or Canada. Travelling to Australia they seem more sociable than Europeans, albeit do not smile that much, yet not as sociable as the Americans or Canadians. Japan was a place that amazed me as people there are very reserved, yet have the best manners I have ever seen. The way the Japanese follow rules and orders really shocked me and in a good way. Although the transit in Tokyo was like New York or London times a million. Way too many people cramped into those trains in Tokyo. Overall I think the US and Canada or the only cultures where people are raised to be very friendly to everyone and treat strangers like friends, although this does not mean we want to make friends with a random stranger on the street, we are just being polite. South Americans are the second closest I have seen to this type of culture although not on the scale of North Americans. Europeans overall seem most reserved, especially in the North, those in the south seem friendlier. Never been to the middle east by imagine and American may have culture shock with the fact that it is not 'first world' like Europe,Japan or Australia. In terms of how people communicate, England is most shock since I live there now coming from US going from an extroverted nation to introverted nation and will take some time getting used to and Japan in terms of how orderly people are. I had no idea people could be so disciplined there it is excellent one of my favorite places to visit.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I'm just curious what other people's thoughts are on the matter. I'm mostly talking about 1st world countries, because any American who goes to 3rd world countries is in for some shock. By Americans, I mean natives of Canada or the U.S.

I feel as though Japan would cause a huge shock.
Not a lot. Third or otherwise. Except maybe super poor countries.

All yhe first world is super homogenized now as compared with just 30 years ago. And so is a lot of what we consider third world.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,303,957 times
All those who are puzzled with the rules of English behaviour should have a look at the book Watching the English, by Kate Fox. DD sent it to me while she was living in London and it is entertaining and informative.

I suppose this book showed me that many of the norms of Australian behaviour are still derived from our extensive British heritage. So things like saying hello to strangers happen before 8am or so if you are out for a walk. That you approach neighbours in their front yard but not over the fence (unless you know them well)

I actually do not find the British unfriendly or reserved. I have to say, having travelled extensively in Nth America and the UK that, in my eexperience , the British make less superficial conversation than Americans. They also have an entirely different sense of humour. I do not think they are particularly introverted but the norms of behaviour enable them to retain some privacy in a crowded environment.

We have actually found travelling in the US can be very lonely. So much is automated, as it is in most developed countries.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
After a visit or two to the third world, you don' get culture shock any more. Among my first seven countries were El Salvador and Syria in the 60s, and as green as I was, you get jaded pretty quickly.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:26 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,165 times
Americans from some big cities like New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and San Francisco are exposed to every world culture every single day so it wouldn't be too much of a shock for them.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:07 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post

I suppose this book showed me that many of the norms of Australian behaviour are still derived from our extensive British heritage. So things like saying hello to strangers happen before 8am or so if you are out for a walk. That you approach neighbours in their front yard but not over the fence (unless you know them well)
I haven't actually noticed those two anywhere I've lived. There doesn't seem to be any time limit or set greeting for strangers, often it's a simple nod or 'hi' regardless of the time. I've had a lot of over the fence discussion with unfamiliar neighbours, but the rule is certainly not to surprise or freak them out, so I suppose a front yard approach may be better in some circumstances for that.

Old 06-16-2019, 04:16 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,303,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I haven't actually noticed those two anywhere I've lived. There doesn't seem to be any time limit or set greeting for strangers, often it's a simple nod or 'hi' regardless of the time. I've had a lot of over the fence discussion with unfamiliar neighbours, but the rule is certainly not to surprise or freak them out, so I suppose a front yard approach may be better in some circumstances for that.
Actually I think if you go walking with a dog people greet you very often, regardless of the time. But when it gets later in the morning there are simply too many people around to keep on greeting them.

But I have to say that I am a bit of an introvert who occasionally crosses the street to avoid an encounter with a casual acquaintance. My mother was the opposite, an extrovert, and I have many childhood memories of her calling out to an acquaintance and then getting into a long conversation while I became increasingly bored and annoyed.

But it is hard to think that entire nations have different personalities. Perhaps they do!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,814,954 times
Iraq and Afghanistan was a pretty big culture shock for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World