Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
I am Croatian (live in Sweden) and I love Croatia. But, the job prospects are very poor.
Job prospects in Poland are actually very good. Life is safe and peaceful too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 09:53 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Where is the best catholic places to live?

Maybe you should check out Hungary. Their government only wants immigrants who are Catholic, Caucasian, young marrieds (of child bearing age) and they will subsidize your housing, reduce your wife's taxes for life and pay your wife handsomely for each child she produces if she will dedicate herself to having lots of babies for the nation and proceeds to do so immediately..
Only 39% of Hungarians were Catholics, 11.6% were Calvinists, 2.2% were Lutherans, around 2% followed other religions, 16.7% were non-religious of which 1.5% were atheists.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
In my experience, Filipino (Philippines) people are possibly the most devoutly Catholic in all the world. They have an Easter procession/ parade, where they actually nail a man's hands painfully to a cross. Many Filipino-Americans I know will bus their teenagers every day, 3 or 4 hours round-trip thru heavy traffic, to parochial high schools, rather than attend public schools.

In Europe....Malta and Portugal (and Orthodox Greece) were the most devout Christian nations, the last time I checked (googled).
I would agree with this. Mexico would also be a very Catholic friendly place as Mexicans rank among some of the most devout Catholics as well.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Only 39% of Hungarians were Catholics, 11.6% were Calvinists, 2.2% were Lutherans, around 2% followed other religions, 16.7% were non-religious of which 1.5% were atheists.

Yes, I know about the above but the key word there is WERE, as in past-tense. Things have been changing recently with regard to the national birthrate and the eligibility of new immigrants.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/w...migration.html

Deeper digging and researching into Hungary's religious history and preferences and now recent events (past 2 or 3 years) will show the changes that are happening under Orban's administration. What is not brought to light so much in the above article is that the government and immigration policies are now offering incentives and encouraging / favouring young child-bearing age Catholic Caucasian couples applying as NEW immigrants. Caucasian applicants of other Christian faiths are given consideration as well but Catholics are given foremost consideration. Non-Caucasian non-Christians need not bother to apply.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
In my experience, Filipino (Philippines) people are possibly the most devoutly Catholic in all the world. They have an Easter procession/ parade, where they actually nail a man's hands painfully to a cross. Many Filipino-Americans I know will bus their teenagers every day, 3 or 4 hours round-trip thru heavy traffic, to parochial high schools, rather than attend public schools.

In Europe....Malta and Portugal (and Orthodox Greece) were the most devout Christian nations, the last time I checked (googled).

In the Philippines, I think there is much less RC in-your-face iconography than in Latin America. Not so many people wearing crucifixes, often no visible religious art or statuary in homes, cars and taxis are not festooned with gaudy religious carnival-ware. My DSD went to a Catholic high school. and when I first visited, I didn't know it was RC until somebody told me.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:33 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
New Jersey. You can be as Catholic as you like and no one will mind. Your kids can go to catholic school, you can go to church. You can have your own opinions on abortion, the church, same sex marriages, or anything else. Just don't try to impose your beliefs on others and you will have no problems with anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
I am not interested in what are the most catholic places. I want to know where the best places are to live if you are a catholic. Many of the places I have been/lived in are openly hostile towards traditionalism, religion and often even more so towards Catholics. Scandinavia, Australia, western Germany and western Canada are all places I have lived in where a lot of people (and the culture) are very hostile towards Catholics. Most catholic places, like the Vatican, Poland, Philippines, part of Africa, are not good/interesting places for me to live. Many of the former good catholic places to live, like French-speaking Canada, Ireland, France, Spain, North-eastern US and Belgium have lost their Catholicism and are now also more or less hostile towards Catholicism.

I am not saying that everyone must be catholic. I just want a good place to live where it is acceptable to be catholic and raise a traditional family. If some people are catholic with me, even better. Some traditionally catholic places I am unsure of today are northwestern England, Bavaria in Germany, Italy, southwestern US, Austria and Northern Ireland. What about those places? Can I go to church and not love abortion and same-sex marriages without being the center of hostility?

Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I thought the OP meant the other meaning of catholic: “diverse.”

Old 05-17-2019, 07:40 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I would agree with this. Mexico would also be a very Catholic friendly place as Mexicans rank among some of the most devout Catholics as well.

But in Mexico the church is traditionally prohibited from owning any property (except the place of worship itsell) and cannot involve itself in schools or formal education in any way. It's been that way for a century., but in recent years there has been some relaxation.

Last edited by cebuan; 05-17-2019 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 08:14 AM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
The Dominican Republic is another Catholic place to consider.

The government even takes care of all the Catholic churches and the president have to go to the Oldest Church in the New World and listen to a priest at least for a one hour mass every major holiday. Every public and most private inaugurations have a Catholic priest giving the blessings, which include a religious act everyone must take a part in. The Archbishop is often taken into account on most issues. Even the Supreme Court have Jesus on a cross where everybody can see it.

The other plus is that the USA is not faraway, so a flight can be taken a few times a year to such country, including Disney World. You can also visit the main cities in Europe or Latin America from there.

There is freedom to worship, but the Catholic is still king over there. In Santo Domingo or Santiago (or close to those cities) you can live a modern lifestyle, elsewhere it might take a visit to those two cities several times in a year.

The weather is tropical in most places with the trade winds moderating the heat and the humidity. In some mountain regions the climate is like an eternal spring. All the climates are available in the country (minus snow). Even in the rainy season (in the northern part is during the summer while in the southern part is during the winter) the sun still comes out. Some of the most varied and beautiful beaches are on that island. You do have to learn Spanish to live there, no way around that.

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-17-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Quote:
How about Poland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World