Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 AM

163 posts, read 137,695 times

Advertisements

Is it Manhattan?
Where is suburbs in New York?
Thanks to all that respond
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 AM

839 posts, read 734,397 times
Shoreditch / Bethnal Green / Hackney would correspond to Williamsburg / Park Slope / Bushwick / etc.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Shoreditch / Bethnal Green / Hackney would correspond to Williamsburg / Park Slope / Bushwick / etc.
Those are not the areas/places I had in mind. I was thinking what Ilford and Romford would correspond to. Do you know?

Old 10-07-2019, 02:01 PM

I heard it's New Rochelle

Old 10-07-2019, 02:07 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
I would say the LES is most similar to East London - gentrifying but still pockets of grittiness - lots of ethnic minorities (appropriately the LES also has a large visible Bangladeshi population though not at the level that East London does). Rich young hip professional and artsy types residing along side older established immigrant populations who are generally poorer, etc.

Even aesthetically - parts of LES could vaguely pass for London:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7210...thumbfov%3D100

Old 10-08-2019, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
I would say the LES is most similar to East London - gentrifying but still pockets of grittiness - lots of ethnic minorities (appropriately the LES also has a large visible Bangladeshi population though not at the level that East London does). Rich young hip professional and artsy types residing along side older established immigrant populations who are generally poorer, etc.

Even aesthetically - parts of LES could vaguely pass for London:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7210...thumbfov%3D100
New Rochelle is closer to what I'm looking for. a Suburb next to New York.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:39 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX101MAX101 View Post
Is it Manhattan?
Where is suburbs in New York?
Thanks to all that respond
The East End of London is vast, it encompasses a lot of very different areas and boroughs including the Canary Wharf Financial District, Royal Docks and ExCel and is linked to the 02 and Greenwich Peninsula. It also includes Stratford, where the Olymics were held in 2012, and where a lot of new cultural buildings at East Bank are being built. Other more bohemian areas include areas such as Brick Lane, Hoxton and Shoreditch.

East End of London - Wikipedia

A lot of the East End has been transformed and has seen major investment in recent years, as has the Thames Gateway/Estauary.

The East End was traditionally the poor and was seen an immigrant area, it also housed London's Docks which were the largest in the world art one time, and as such is compared to the traditional poorer areas of NYC such as Harlem and the Bronx.

The invention of the shipping container, hit the docks hard, and parts of the East End area became an industrial wasteland, until large scale investment saw numerous schemes implimented, such as those I have already mentioned. Today London is once again a growing port region with the expansion of the container docks further up the Thames at Tilbury and the opening of the vast DP World London Gateway Port.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-08-2019 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World