Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times

Advertisements

Do most people accept the reality that the U.S. will remain a top nation for as long as ancient Egypt and Rome did?

Most people? I seriously doubt it. It isn't realistic. I think your idea is just hopeful wishing on your part, OP, it's what you want.

The reality is that USA's hay day has already come and gone and it's been slowly but steadily backsliding now for the past 40 years or so from what I've observed over the past 75+ years. Which has been kind of sad for me to see happening because USA is still a relatively young country, it only has 243 years of being an independent nation.

Consider yourself lucky if it's still one of the world's top nations in another 40 years from now and hasn't fallen into total anarchy and chaos. By then the entire globe will be fully in the ruthless grip of truly deadly privation that comes with severe climate change and nothing will be the same as it used to be for anyone anywhere in the world. USA will be no exception and may even do much worse than most other older countries. That's because the people of USA aren't accustomed to experiencing and dealing with real privation and hardship, while so many other countries have already had centuries of experience with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 03:11 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yes. American share of the global economy has gone down, but that is due to the rise of other powers as opposed to an actual decline of the US.
This is true. It is obvious that other nations have also become richer and that the percentage of the world’s poor has declined over the last several decades. I didn’t mean to imply that the U.S. is going to be the only rich nation. That would be silly. That is why I write “a” top nation.

I tend to be optimistic. I think the problems that other posters have mentioned about the U.S. and the world are not insurmountable. They will be solved with time. Things like climate change will not destroy humanity. Our species will be around for a long time.

Old 05-19-2019, 03:49 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
American supremacy is based on an economical model that everyone is entitled to all they can grab, using force and violence if simple guile no longer works. The come-uppance has already begun, with Vietnam the turning point.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:34 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I think the United States is becoming stronger. It is just getting started and will remain a top nation for a long time to come, probably thousands of years.

If this happens, will the world accept it?
It's true, but also now we live in a more fast paced world, where changes are more rapid. You have to take that into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yes. American share of the global economy has gone down, but that is due to the rise of other powers as opposed to an actual decline of the US.

On the other hand, there’s no way to predict what things would like in a few decades, let alone a millennium.
I agree, but still that process could damage the dollar status as a reference currency for international trade. If the dollar gets replaced, that would mean a big negative impact on US economy.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:49 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm an American. Shut the hell up. Do you know what comes from hubris? Nothing good.

Pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. America doubles down, being proud of being proud. Proud of its greed, gluttony and wrath.

Last edited by cebuan; 05-19-2019 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 07:01 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,361 times
Quote:
Thank God that the U.S. is finally a mostly peaceful nation today.
uh... what now?

Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:

The United States currently has the highest GDP in its history. The stock market is near record highs. The unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in 50 years. The U.S. has most of the world's top universities and an extreme concentration of talent and intellectual capital probably not found in any other country in the world.

True. And all very commendable.

But, 22% of the world's prisoners are in America (despite being only 4.4% of the world's population).

80% of Americans in significant debt. A terrible social condition which stunts growth, mobility, and ultimately, innovation and the best use of our potential.

A huge percentage of Americans avoid doctor and hospital visits out of fear of incurring debt and bankruptcy which leads to shorter lifespans and poor health compared to our peers.

The US is exceptional because its 1% is exceptional. The top 25% are doing very well down to OK. The bottom 75% are living with struggles and uncertainties that make the rest of the developed world mock us. If they are not expressing pity, they are laughing at us

Old 05-20-2019, 06:07 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Pride is one of the Seven Deadly Sins. America doubles down, being proud of being proud. Proud of its greed, gluttony and wrath.
And proud of all the idiots that continue to buy over government debt!

Rich nation? How can you call a country rich when the country is over 20 trillion dollars in debt!

A really rich country has no debt at all!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:39 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
In what sense? There are deep fissures formed within this society and they are spreading. It feels less cohesive, less safe and people are less hopeful of a better future for their children and grandchildren. In addition civil discourse is almost impossible.
I agree with you completely. I don't understand how anyone could ever feel that the US is getting stronger. This country is slowly but surely tearing itself apart.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
This is a false and misleading impression you will get from the news media. That is because it is filled bias and negative propaganda. This includes most print media on the internet as well.

The United States currently has the highest GDP in its history. The stock market is near record highs. The unemployment rate is the lowest it's been in 50 years. The U.S. has most of the world's top universities and an extreme concentration of talent and intellectual capital probably not found in any other country in the world.

Do you realize that the U.S. economy is larger than the economies of all the countries in the rest of the Western hemisphere combined?
The stock market measures how well rich people are doing, not the general population. The unemployment numbers are misleading as it takes having three jobs to equal one income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World