Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 06:39 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think so. What would it be?
To me the US is one big illusion. Politically, the US is considered a flawed democracy by the renowned Economist magazine. Culturally (music, movies etc.) the US is also a shadow of what it used to be. Not to mention the gun and violence culture, the hateful society, racism, rampant inequality, etc.
There is nothing to emulate, nothing that could serve as an example for other countries, except for those that are even worse, but frankly there are better examples for those to follow.

Have you ever been to the US? Europe, especially France, the UK, Germany and Italy, are infinitely more racist cultures than the US. Europeans talk a good game about tolerance, but it's a load of horse dung. In their hearts, they truly imagine themselves to be superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 06:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Have you checked out life expectancy, infant mortality, personal debt, and our atrocious social mobility which just 30 years ago was the best in the word but now lags behind every other developed nation in the world?

We do have a s- ton of money in this country. but only one in a hundred come anywhere close to enjoying the fruits of that awsome stock market.

I love this country, but it is really squandering its potential to the detriment of the common working man and woman.
It's shocking to see so many rural and inner city American places with life expectancy comparable to the poorest nations in the world. Exclude infant mortality and it's nearing sub Saharan African levels in places like Appalachia. I really think immigration might prevent the USA from total collapse. Immigrants generally have better work ethic, in tact families, and healthier diets than most Americans. When's the last time you saw an Asian or Hispanic person in a homeless camp?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:13 PM

417 posts, read 445,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Nowadays, the people working menial jobs in the United States are largely unskilled immigrants from 3rd world countries who came here in the last 30 years or their children. This is especially true in the larger metropolitan areas.

You will not find that many people whose families have been in the United states more than 2 generations doing menial jobs in large metropolitan areas. They have moved up into the middle class or higher pretty much across the board with few exceptions.

That may be true in major metro areas, but in most small towns I have been to in PA, MD, DE, including the one I live in, at least 95% of those menial job workers have been in the USA for many, many generations.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:55 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Have you ever been to the US? Europe, especially France, the UK, Germany and Italy, are infinitely more racist cultures than the US. Europeans talk a good game about tolerance, but it's a load of horse dung. In their hearts, they truly imagine themselves to be superior.
No they are not. London is a very open city to everyone and has been for a very long time. Europeans talk tolerance because at the end of the day they are generally so. At least in cities. Of course racism exits, but many countries are not exposed to the racial diversity as The States is. Why large numbers of Americans are racist is more the point, coming from a nation of long ingrained diversity.
I'm sure Europeans do regard themselves as some what superior. Why does that surprise you?

Old 06-04-2019, 02:42 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Here in the UK we are not nearly as 'race obsessed' as the US, not saying that racism doesn't exist it just doesn't feature in everything as much, black people in the UK don't refer to themselves as 'African Englishans', English people with Italian ancestry don't consider themselves 'Italian' and Latino isn't considered as a 'race'.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:21 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How can you call a country rich when the country is over 20 trillion dollars in debt!
US Debt is not even 100% of its GDP

Japan and the EU have more debt to gdp ratio

even China is 160% debt ratio and yet they are not "rich" yet

only Russia pays its foreign debt

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 06-04-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-05-2019, 09:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
I don't think so. What would it be?
To me the US is one big illusion. Politically, the US is considered a flawed democracy by the renowned Economist magazine. Culturally (music, movies etc.) the US is also a shadow of what it used to be. Not to mention the gun and violence culture, the hateful society, racism, rampant inequality, etc.
There is nothing to emulate, nothing that could serve as an example for other countries, except for those that are even worse, but frankly there are better examples for those to follow.
I was going to disagree with you until I read this post. Music-wise, the US hasn't really innovated since the 90's. Even our movies and TV shows have gotten to a point that we're now just remaking old classics with few new original ideas.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Here in the UK we are not nearly as 'race obsessed' as the US, not saying that racism doesn't exist it just doesn't feature in everything as much, black people in the UK don't refer to themselves as 'African Englishans', English people with Italian ancestry don't consider themselves 'Italian' and Latino isn't considered as a 'race'.
LOL To back up what you're saying, when you speak to someone from the UK, you cannot tell what race they are by simply hearing them. In the US many people can be identified by voice alone. Of course, not always but if a person is like me, Black who speaks standard English, we are frequently told that we "sound white". It's the oddest thing to me.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
LOL To back up what you're saying, when you speak to someone from the UK, you cannot tell what race they are by simply hearing them. In the US many people can be identified by voice alone. Of course, not always but if a person is like me, Black who speaks standard English, we are frequently told that we "sound white". It's the oddest thing to me.
Yes, I think many black Americans like to separate themselves from whites by the way they pronounce words. I am not even a native speaker, but I can usually tell whether an American is black or not just by listening to them. And I am not sure they are doing themselves a favor with that diverging pronunciation. Even to me it sounds negative and exaggerated in a way. Maybe it is the same with white Americans.

Here in Portugal it is different. Those blacks that have ancestors from former African colonies (and that was just a view decades ago, not centuries like with many African-Americans in the US) but grow up in Portugal, they speak just like white Portuguese.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think many black Americans like to separate themselves from whites by the way they pronounce words. I am not even a native speaker, but I can usually tell whether an American is black or not just by listening to them. And I am not sure they are doing themselves a favor with that diverging pronunciation. Even to me it sounds negative and exaggerated in a way. Maybe it is the same with white Americans.

Here in Portugal it is different. Those blacks that have ancestors from former African colonies (and that was just a view decades ago, not centuries like with many African-Americans in the US) but grow up in Portugal, they speak just like white Portuguese.
I think it's like that pretty much everywhere else. Here in Southern California, you can tell Blacks, Whites, Blacks, Latinos, and even Asians at times just by listening to them. I think it's an American thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World