Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Well, just because a city has 40 million does not mean it is more difficult to organize. Those cities tend to be very wide, basically just a sum of smaller cities.

I guess the climate plays a certain role in cleanliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 09:59 AM

881 posts, read 921,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post

In South America, SE Asia and Africa the contrast between the best and worst communities is very noticeable - with the worst being dominant.

What cities have you traveled to in South America?

I can't think of a city around here in central Colombia were the dirtier places are dominant. I haven't been to the Caribbean coast where supposedly, cities are much dirtier.

My small city is not pristine clean but in general is much rather cleaner than full of litter, except for a few spots where some people throws debris / rubble. You are supposed to take out the trash on a certain day of the week for collection an if you don't do so, your neighbors will not be very happy.

In Bogota I often get surprised of how dirty and neglected some areas are, as if people felt that they don't belong there and they don't have to take care of it. Many streets taken by homeless and/or drug addict people too, who seem to have more rights than the average citizen and can sh*t, p*ss and even make fires in public spaces with no punishment (any other person would be fined for that but, apparently, not them). Althought many residential hoods are fairly clean, I'd say pretty much any other city in the Colombian Andes is cleaner. A waste container system has been implemented in the city recently (pic related), I hope it works.

Last edited by joacocanal; 06-18-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 10:29 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
In Bogota I often get surprised of how dirty and neglected some areas are, as if people felt that they don't belong there and they don't have to take care of it. Many streets taken by homeless and/or drug addict people too, who seem to have more rights than the average citizen and can sh*t, p*ss and even make fires in public spaces with no punishment (any other person would be fined for that but, apparently, not them). Althought many residential hoods are fairly clean, I'd say pretty much any other city in the Colombian Andes is cleaner. A waste container system has been implemented in the city recently (pic related), I hope it works.
Large cities are much more difficult to keep clean. We have the same problem in the city of São Paulo, but as you get into the countryside or to the northern coast of the state, you'll note that cities are much cleaner.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post

In South America, SE Asia and Africa the contrast between the best and worst communities is very noticeable - with the worst being dominant.
What a load of boloney. I've seen dirtier streets in Liverpool than in Medellin.

Your statement is sweeping and characteristic of non-traveling or comfort zone travelling Brit clouded by stereotypical nonsense.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:23 PM

337 posts, read 268,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
from above...
"Chicago and Boston are very clean"
Boston is lots of good things but not anywhere near as clean
as compared to the international cities with super-strict litter laws.

I'm sure there are cleaner cities, but Boston still does pretty well.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 AM

95 posts, read 69,331 times
It is observed that few people have visited Spain because most of the Spanish cities especially those in the Noorth of Spain for Example Oviedo,Bilbao San sebastian Vitoria,Spain that have the Europea platinum broom etc etc outperform those that are supposed to be best in europe streets ,its meters,trains parks and nobody has mentioned them in the Forum.

I think there are prejudices for and against contries and cities that have not been visited on this subject.-

Old 07-11-2019, 07:18 AM

58 posts, read 47,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Singapore, incredibly clean and organised especially considering the population density.

I have to say that when I come home from overseas I usually notice how clean Sydney is. I particularly noticed this when returning from Vietnam recently and also from South America.
In Singapore things like chewing a gum or throwing a small paper on the ground are prosecuted and heavily fined.

Sincerely, it should be that way all across the globe. Many humans act like dirty animals when it comes to civility and public cleanliness.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:51 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benetton View Post
In Singapore things like chewing a gum or throwing a small paper on the ground are prosecuted and heavily fined.

Sincerely, it should be that way all across the globe. Many humans act like dirty animals when it comes to civility and public cleanliness.
Indeed i agree

It would make so many cities really stunning, Paris and (god) Marseille in France come immediately to my mind..

But I m especially thinking about Naples, gold under heavy 'dirt'..

One will say it's also a part of the soul of a city, mouai..

Old 07-11-2019, 03:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benetton View Post

For sure. Nothing makes me more aggrieved than this. Dirty people are disrespectful.The worst case was once when a woman with two children in the bus took their rubbish into a plastic bag, opened the window and threw it out of the bus to the street. I had to admonish her personally.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 PM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore, Sydney, Vancouver, Denver, San Diego, Washington DC, Seattle, London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World