Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better urban amenities/infrastructure
Osaka 39 76.47%
Chicago 12 23.53%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
It's not about inferior, it's about urbanity. American cities are the least urban in the world even the big ones next to Australian and Canadian cities. Japanese aren't only significantly denser than European cities over larger areas, Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto is just on a whole 'nother level in terms of any measurable urbanity statistics except maybe skyline and food diversity, the latter has little to do with Urbanity.

Like another poster said even NYC would struggle as both NYC and Osaka probably have similar populations over comparable areas and suburban NYC isn't as bad as suburban Chicago in terms of lack of urbanity, it is still miles from Osaka where the suburbs are almost as dense as the core- 20,000 ppsm vs. 30,000 ppsm. While U.S we are talking about 5,000 ppsm vs. 30,000 ppsm in NYC and even lower if you split inner suburbs vs. outer suburbs.

Obviously the Osaka area doesn't have an equivalent to Manhattan, technically no city has an equivalent to Manhattan, which is likely the most impressive amount of urbanity in the first world next to Hong Kong. The third world is likely going to pass up Manhattan just because some cities will have over 50,000,000 people in 30-40+ years, which means an area of 100,000 ppsm over a massive area especially in India or China is very possible.
I understand urbanity in the US is always lower overall for cities. Of course what is even called urban in the US can be seen as more suburban elsewhere in most of the world.

If it's just urban density? Yes, US cities lose (NYC could win). But other criteria too should give some a shot.

No one says that US cities infrastructure and transit is superior. That's a given too. So Density of urban form overall and transit are always a loss.

I did not vote because I never was to Japan. The US is its own beast and standards that has its own version of urban-living. NYC became most unique as Islands that became densest over a larger area. But lacks in upgrading of infrastructure for sure. So much wealth should not have had that.

But still simply put..... US cities always loose in world threads. I'm sure some laugh at arguments in the CvC forum for NA cities that is primarily between US cities. Laugh at arguing density, architecture even an again skylines even.

Still Chicago is a example of a true American city in build, architecture and its urban form that still the Single-family separated homes with frontage. Built denser then what became suburban sprawl. Though even these neighborhoods can be seen as suburban by world standards. Its alleys in 90% of the city are part of strep-grid chosen. But nothing like alleys in other parts of the world. They got garages built thru them and not cafés and more.

Last edited by DavePa; 06-17-2019 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,188 posts, read 13,477,157 times
The Chicago "L" is a good system, and O'Hare is about to undergo a massive redevelopment.

Chicago is set in a beautiful location and the city was the original home of the Skyscraper.

Plus I have an affection for the city due to all those John Hughes films.

On the downside Chicago needs to get a grip on violent crime, although the homicide rate has started to fall in recent years, whilst the city also can get rather severe weather in the winter.

As for Osaka, great modern city, good transportation which you expect in Japan, however otherwise I can say I know the city in the same way I know Chicago through films and it's iconic places from sports grounds (Wrigley Field) through to museums etc, and Chicago has a lot of unique personality for a city, and that's something no amount of infrastructure can buy.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
For these 2 cities, which one do you think has the better urban amenities and infrastructure:

Transit
Walkability
Restaurants/Food
Nightlife
Vibrancy/Street Scene
Architecture
Downtown/Central Area
Neighborhoods
Cultural Attractions
I'm guessing... sort of. I have two visits to Chicago in my life, once at 9, once at 16 (one with family, one with school band.. so yes, sadly not much exploring). Never have been to Osaka. What I "know" about it is based upon interactions with my brother in law who has now spent time there two straight years, some informal research, and a personal visit to Tokyo last year (I'm not quite sure how much the two differ, but I am semi-familiar with Tokyo having spent 4 days wandering there, and I would assume there are at least some parallels).

That being said...
Transit: Osaka
Walkability: Citywide, Osaka (the central part of Chicago, the loop might compare, but Osaka perhaps has a much wider swath that is walkable)
Restaurants/Food: Unsure. Osaka I believe has more Michelin stars esp. when considering Kyoto, and probably more unique local cooking styles and freshness. That said, Chicago has more international options due to overall diversity. Hard to say/toss up, I'm sure Osaka is cosmopolitan enough to have at least some international options to, the Japanese consumer demands quality.
Nightlife: Honestly I'm not sure.. I feel like one could have a plenty good time in both
Vibrancy/Street Scene: I would have to imagine that a citywide basis, Osaka is much more vibrant on a pedestrian level. It's also much safer as a whole, which helps with wandering.
Architecture: If this were the Osaka metro as a whole including Kyoto... probably Osaka wins. Being that it's not though, I'll probably give the nod to Chicago, though I must also say that saying I don't know Chicago that well, and also that Osaka's metro is significantly larger even excluding Kyoto which I believe is a separate MSA, and so there are probably more changes to see random/unique/historic/etc. architecture.
Downtown/Central Area: Don't know enough to say for certain. I'll say that they are probably comparable in their impressiveness, but in different ways.
Neighborhoods: I would guess that Chicago's neighborhoods are probably filled with a bit more interesting/unique character/architecture. That said, the QOL overall in and around portions of Osaka is probably much higher. I would assume overall education, safety, infrastructure, health etc. ratings on a citywide basis trend in Osaka's direction as well.
Cultural Attractions: Hmm... I'm gonna say even, with again, the preface that this is coming from an American perspective, and that I'm not including Kyoto in this comparison which would almost certainly give Osaka the win, and that I don't know Osaka as well. I say this because I imagine that Osaka has a larger volume of attractions and a more unique cultural identity, whereas Chicago perhaps has more unique attractions, and a world class scene for visual and performing arts.

That leaves it at roughly 5.5-3.5 win for Osaka, which isn't bad considering the difference in length of history and size and urbanity between the two cities.

The thing I can tell you is that in two separate instances, I really got the feel that Chicago was a village/small town by comparison, in spite of how advanced and world class it is in a number of areas
1) when flying into Chicago to connect vs. flying into Mexico City on a flight, when I was 15. The two times I have flown into Mexico City have perhaps been the most remarkable fly-ins I have experienced.
2) When flying back from Beijing to Chicago O'Hare. The buildings/transit/infrastructure just seemed provincial and light years behind the infrastructure, etc. of the places I had just visited (Beijing/Tokyo/Hong Kong). Not a bad thing, just an informal observation/scale comparison.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:05 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Explain. Chicago is a top 10 global city. Where's Osaka? Osaka is likely a great city, but the long shot comment is a head scratcher. I would think Chicago would be on top in most categories.
Is Chicago even a top 10 US city?

Old 06-17-2019, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
American cities always lose in City vs City polls. NYC might have a chance even vs Osaka.
Makes me wonder what US city could if any .....

You could probably pick virtually any even mid-sized Asian city and it would win. Same with European cities. Only commenting on the chances.

Because absolutely to discuss it or argue is pointless. US cites are always seen as inferior.
Bangkok vs Los Angeles

Would Bangkok win? I doubt it.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:17 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Bangkok vs Los Angeles

Would Bangkok win? I doubt it.
On the categories mentioned in this thread, Bangkok would definitely win.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
On the categories mentioned in this thread, Bangkok would definitely win.
Except for public transportation, Bangkok can't win on most categories of amenities/infrastructure.

For example, how hard is it to find a clean restroom?

Air quality? Quality of public education? hospitals?

Old 06-19-2019, 12:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,064 times
Chicago, because MERICA!

Old 06-19-2019, 01:41 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
In further thinking about this, I think Nagoya might be the better city for a US city versus Japanese city comparison.

Nagoya's metropolitan area is closer in size to Chicago's and has a main central node in that metropolitan area unlike Osaka's metropolitan area which also includes Kobe and Kyoto. Chicago is known as a city with good mass transit system and urbanity among other US cities, while Nagoya within Japan is thought of as relatively car dependent compared to Osaka and Tokyo areas. Maybe we roll this topic again, but with Nagoya?

Old 06-19-2019, 06:14 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,299,886 times
Quote:
For these 2 cities, which one do you think has the better urban amenities and infrastructure:

Transit
Walkability
Restaurants/Food
Nightlife
Vibrancy/Street Scene
Architecture
Downtown/Central Area
Neighborhoods
Cultural Attractions
This is an interesting comparison. I have been to Osaka twice for a total of 7-8 days and to Chicago half a dozen times, so I think I am in a position to compare these two. I would say Osaka wins most of these categories quite handily. The only two that I would give to Chicago are architecture and cultural attractions. Chicago has better museums and more highly regarded performing arts institutions. Its architecture is world renown.

Transit — Osaka has a better rail transit network and higher ridership than any city in the US, including NYC.

Vibrancy/walkability — ditto. Osaka’s central area around the Namba and Umeda Stations probably has higher sustained pedestrian traffic than anywhere in Manhattan other than Times Square, so Chicago is not even in the ballpark here.

Restaurants — Osaka’s urban area (Kansai) has the second highest number of Michelin restaurants in the world after Tokyo. Chicago does probably have better variety, but still you have to give this one to Osaka. Food in Japan, even in no-name holes in the wall, is sensational.

Downtown/Central Area — this is an interesting one. Chicago’s is more grand and architecturally impressive, but Osaka’s is more dense, intimate, magnitudes more vibrant, and more rich with retail and nightlife. Depends on what floats your boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World