Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:46 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I have often suggested that the Unitied States should buy or annex Mexico, because that way there would be no illegal immigration problem, and half the people are already here.

While we are at it, we should also merge with Canada, then we could be
the United States of North America. We would be Unstoppable!
Most of those immigrants come from the countries south of Mexico so then that would be our border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Merging countries is useful for making the maps and charts "beautiful" in some cases, but it doesn't fulfill the aims of the local peoples. Still today, Germany has a lot of differences between West and East, both economic and cultural. Some cultures may appear similar to people outside the region, but only themselves can tell the differences and the reason for not living together in a same country. Yugoslavia broke up in several smaller countries when I was 10 years-old and I regretted a lot that time because I was a fan of the country: it had a single language, a nice-sounding name, looked beautiful in the European map, had a beautiful flag, was good in soccer... but as I grew up, as I travelled, and met some serbians and croats - I understood their feelings.
This. Nailed it. Except for the Yugoslavia part. It had three official languages plus two significant minority languages.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM

1,756 posts, read 2,508,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This. Nailed it. Except for the Yugoslavia part. It had three official languages plus two significant minority languages.
Yes, I know that it's innacurate; however, I believed that serbo-croatian was the only official language at that time. The atlas where I learned the countries in the school had the maps of the continents and a card listing the general informations about the country (capital, language, currency, etc.) without many details, and listed only serbo-croatian for Yugoslavia; while I wondered how many official languages Switzerland had - German, French, Italian, Romansh - and how could the swiss people understand each other.

But the undeniable fact: the beginning of the 90s was a nightmare for elementary school students in the Geography classes.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Yes, I know that it's innacurate; however, I believed that serbo-croatian was the only official language at that time. The atlas where I learned the countries in the school had the maps of the continents and a card listing the general informations about the country (capital, language, currency, etc.) without many details, and listed only serbo-croatian for Yugoslavia; while I wondered how many official languages Switzerland had - German, French, Italian, Romansh - and how could the swiss people understand each other.

But the undeniable fact: the beginning of the 90s was a nightmare for elementary school students in the Geography classes.
The three official languages were Serbo-Croatian, Slovene, and Macedonian. Hungarian and Albanian were recognized minority languages but because their linguistic homeland was outside of Yugoslavia, were not official.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 PM

866 posts, read 899,812 times
The Gambia + Senegal
Unified Ireland
Sakhalin to Japan, it looks incomplete without it.
Timor Leste could be Indonesia federal subject, I mean, it's not even a tiny island, but half of it.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:05 PM

5,882 posts, read 5,809,813 times
Inequality power politics would rule this out for most. Timor Leste for example not long out of being part of Indonesia after decades of oppression from Djakarta. Fat too many differences to make that work voluntary.

West Papua though for example if not independent may fit better with PNG than its present Indonesian colonisation. I say may, as regions within PNG like Bougainville want to break away from Port Moresby rule and create own state.
Other countries like Laos are slowly becoming Chinese client states due to financial take over thus influencing political rather than complete integration.
If a collection of Southern Slav states cannot form a Union within one country rule, not sure how any others would likely fare.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:03 PM

Countries and corporations are entirely different things that cannot be compared. Apples and oranges.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:27 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
The Gambia + Senegal

Senegambia was tried in the 80s, but nobody wanted except a few influntial elites and afyer 7 years, they gave up.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:49 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Countries and corporations are entirely different things that cannot be compared. Apples and oranges.
Uncle Johnny, of blessed memory, used to say, "Every country ... eh, eh, eh, ... is like a business."

I learned a lot from Uncle Johnny. RIP.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,438,666 times
Quote:
They actually have quite a bit in common. Countries obviously operate on a much larger scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World