Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:07 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 6 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times

Advertisements

Might seem like a stupid/frank question, but why are there not more state mergers? Here are a few examples that have been proposed in the world:

-Unified Korea formed by the merger of North Korea (DPRK) and South Korea (ROK) (impossible to complete)
-Union State formed by merger of Russia and Belarus (lots of controversy surrounding this proposal)
-Moldova absorbed by Romania (Moldova is a small country, so this might make sense)
-Costa Rica, Panama, and/or other Central America countries form Federal Republic of Central America, again.
-New East Africa Federation formed by the merger of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda (would become 10th largest country by land area, 8th largest by population)
-All small Caribbean island nations merge and form an island nation like Indonesia

State mergers have happened before in history, but mergers are extremely rare nowadays. The last mergers in modern history were the unification of East Germany and West Germany in 1991, and the Russian annexation of Crimea in 2014 (a move still internationally-contested and considered highly controversial by many today). So, why do state mergers really not occur anymore in the modern age? Is it because mergers are highly risky and often fail? Perhaps the process of completing most mergers is simply insurmountable/impossible.

Last edited by g500; 07-09-2019 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 09:34 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Corporate mergers are often hostile take-overs. National ones would be, too.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:30 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,349 times
I have often suggested that the Unitied States should buy or annex Mexico, because that way there would be no illegal immigration problem, and half the people are already here.

While we are at it, we should also merge with Canada, then we could be
the United States of North America. We would be Unstoppable!

Old 07-09-2019, 11:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
I have often suggested that the Unitied States should buy or annex Mexico, because that way there would be no illegal immigration problem, and half the people are already here.

While we are at it, we should also merge with Canada, then we could be
the United States of North America. We would be Unstoppable!
You would still have an immigration...refugee...problem since many are coming from Central America.

As for Canada, sorry we are not interested, but thanks for the thought.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,905 times
You cant merge countries-language/cultural/history differences.Companies have none of these problems, they merge for one reason-money.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:27 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Every time I see one of these topics posted where certain people are suggesting that certain countries should be merged or annexed the only reason it's being suggested is because of blatant greed and war mongering power hunger on the parts of the people suggesting it.

Mergers and Annexations of countries are just polite words that mean the same thing as Defeat and Destruction of countries. It means a greedy party declaring war, overpowering and then destroying or stealing away everything held dear to the hearts of the conquered and defeated party, including destroying their identity. How could any countries ever trust let alone want to merge with another country with that kind of unscrupulous devouring attitude, knowing that they will be consumed?

And why would any country not want to fight back or die fighting against being 'annexed', taken over by greedy, power hungry, war mongers whose only interests and intentions are to be the biggest, richest, most powerful, threatening, unstoppable thieves in the world?

"It would be helping the economy" is a lame excuse used to explain away the bad behaviour of bullying dishonourable thieves who are trying to take over and steal everything away from other weaker people who already have their backs up against a wall. When mergers happen between companies or countries it's because the stronger party has the weaker party backed up to the wall with no other way out of a bad predicament.

That's my opinion about so-called mergers or annexations of countries and I'm sticking to it.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:27 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,629 times
Here's an idea. Why doesn't Mexico annex the USA? Would Americans resist?

Did anybody notice that Iraq/Kuwait was not on the OP's list. Or Argentina/Falklands. Or Serbia/Croatia, how'd that work out? Ireland/Ulster would be a natural, both speak the same language, on the same island, what could go wrong?

Old 07-10-2019, 04:34 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,301,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Might seem like a stupid/frank question, but why are there not more state mergers?

Like human couples, rock bands and business corporations lately, bodies politic have been merging and splitting for many MILLENNIA.

Be patient: a 50-100 year stretch is a pittance.

Having said that, we have already witnessed some splits and mergers over these past few decades: several downright splits (e.g. Germany, Korea, USSR, Czechoslovakia, Ethiopia, Sudan) and several steps toward merger (e.g. NATO, Germany, EU, NAFTA/USMCA), some more or less partial, for better and for worse.

Here's an even more vexed question: what's easier to do, split up or merge?

Does that answer your question?

As some have alluded to, sovereignty and the power of self-determination are precious, very precious, and not given up lightly.

All the best!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,161 times
Merging countries is useful for making the maps and charts "beautiful" in some cases, but it doesn't fulfill the aims of the local peoples. Still today, Germany has a lot of differences between West and East, both economic and cultural. Some cultures may appear similar to people outside the region, but only themselves can tell the differences and the reason for not living together in a same country. Yugoslavia broke up in several smaller countries when I was 10 years-old and I regretted a lot that time because I was a fan of the country: it had a single language, a nice-sounding name, looked beautiful in the European map, had a beautiful flag, was good in soccer... but as I grew up, as I travelled, and met some serbians and croats - I understood their feelings.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Every time I see one of these topics posted where certain people are suggesting that certain countries should be merged or annexed the only reason it's being suggested is because of blatant greed and war mongering power hunger on the parts of the people suggesting it.

Mergers and Annexations of countries are just polite words that mean the same thing as Defeat and Destruction of countries. It means a greedy party declaring war, overpowering and then destroying or stealing away everything held dear to the hearts of the conquered and defeated party, including destroying their identity. How could any countries ever trust let alone want to merge with another country with that kind of unscrupulous devouring attitude, knowing that they will be consumed?

And why would any country not want to fight back or die fighting against being 'annexed', taken over by greedy, power hungry, war mongers whose only interests and intentions are to be the biggest, richest, most powerful, threatening, unstoppable thieves in the world?

"It would be helping the economy" is a lame excuse used to explain away the bad behaviour of bullying dishonourable thieves who are trying to take over and steal everything away from other weaker people who already have their backs up against a wall. When mergers happen between companies or countries it's because the stronger party has the weaker party backed up to the wall with no other way out of a bad predicament.

That's my opinion about so-called mergers or annexations of countries and I'm sticking to it.
I find a lot of Americans that put forward this idea of Canada and the US merging, are coming from a good place, a misinformed place, but a good one. Most anyway.

They tend to have this belief that Canada would be eager to join up with them, the old cliche of us warming our hands over the border.

Of course Canadians find this a bit perplexing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World