Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:10 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I don't consider any city on the West coast to be safe, being that a quake could occur any time, and if the quake was a big one, I'd probably die of a heart attack while there.

Most big and medium sized cities today are gentrified, the poor being driven out to who knows where, and that alone makes these cities safer. Where have all the poor in L.A. gone to? San Bernardino, Victorville, Hesperia, Lancaster, Palmdale. Too expensive even in South Central today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Warnings about not having your phone out? Does anyone take any notice? On the trains here about 95% of people are glued to their phones for the whole trip. I thought it was funny recently when my train just stopped at a station for forty-five minutes. Everyone went on playing with their phones and did not seem at all bothered.
I'm not sure what you mean by this question.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I don't consider any city on the West coast to be safe, being that a quake could occur any time, and if the quake was a big one, I'd probably die of a heart attack while there.

Most big and medium sized cities today are gentrified, the poor being driven out to who knows where, and that alone makes these cities safer. Where have all the poor in L.A. gone to? San Bernardino, Victorville, Hesperia, Lancaster, Palmdale. Too expensive even in South Central today.
They're on the streets. LA, SF, San Diego, and Seattle all have exceptionally high homeless populations which have increased dramatically as they gentrified.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:48 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I drove all over Los Angeles and San Francisco with my family this summer. I didn't feel unsafe anywhere, but some places were a little bit dirtier than I thought they would be.

It seems to me that Downtown Los Angeles is underrated.

Old 09-03-2019, 05:25 PM

330 posts, read 294,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

The poor in LA are either on the street or driven out of state. I mean the rents in places like San Bernadino county, Riverside county are already not cheap. Barstow is cheaper but then it is too isolated from the rest of the LA county. Downtown LA is currently undergoing “Manhattanization” just like NYC and SF where every day you see new high-rise apartments going up on Wilshire, Figueroa... This is not the LA we used to know, it is replicating the looks of the Upper West Side/Upper East Side of NYC.

People with lower income are getting pushed out. The current real estate market in LA is simply horrendous.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 09-03-2019 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-04-2019, 12:32 AM

809 posts, read 469,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Interesting criteria. I'm not surprised at all that Tokyo would be at the top as well as Singapore ranking high.

Going back to San Francisco, let's see; digital security? Maybe. Health security? Yes. I'll give the city that as it even has free health care for all residents within the city limits. Infrastructure security? LOLOLOL Yeah right. It's outdated and crumbling. Even some new buildings have issues. Google leaning Millennium Tower. Personal security? Well, as long as the warnings on public transportation about not having your smart phone out because there's a high chance of being mugged for it don't count, yeah I guess.
We get it - you don't like San Francisco. The city is relatively safe besides the high property crime. Homicides are concentrated in very very few neighborhoods and the metro area as a whole is safe for its size in the US. The Millennium Tower situation was recently resolved with a settlement and many more people in SF take transit than SD for sure, that's a fact. If you google OneSF, you'll see the city is making huge strides in infrastructure. SF also had a very successful year with tourism so it's definitely still a great and welcoming destination for domestic and international visitors.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Stupid list

Old 09-04-2019, 01:14 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
We get it - you don't like San Francisco. The city is relatively safe besides the high property crime. Homicides are concentrated in very very few neighborhoods and the metro area as a whole is safe for its size in the US. The Millennium Tower situation was recently resolved with a settlement and many more people in SF take transit than SD for sure, that's a fact. If you google OneSF, you'll see the city is making huge strides in infrastructure. SF also had a very successful year with tourism so it's definitely still a great and welcoming destination for domestic and international visitors.

Lived in SF before, and I won't classify it as one of the safest cities in the USA, let alone the world. Problems are not concentrated in "very very few neighborhoods". Tenderloin and the Mission are not exactly safe, and they are right in the middle of the city. The city hall, public library and the theater are all a stone's throw of the Civic Center station which lots of visitors to San Francisco can run into if they don't know the city that well.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...c-center-bart/

Old 09-04-2019, 04:41 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this question.
I mean does anyone there listen to the warning? And avoid having their phones on display.

Old 09-04-2019, 04:49 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Lived in SF before, and I won't classify it as one of the safest cities in the USA, let alone the world. Problems are not concentrated in "very very few neighborhoods". Tenderloin and the Mission are not exactly safe, and they are right in the middle of the city. The city hall, public library and the theater are all a stone's throw of the Civic Center station which lots of visitors to San Francisco can run into if they don't know the city that well.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...c-center-bart/
We went for a stroll last year from Union Square, where we were staying, to Civic Center. Did not feel really unsafe but very uncomfortable and very saddened by what we saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World