Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 05:17 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Indeed, they have this map shown prominently in both my sons day care center and daughters class room.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/78...f698c952d5.jpg

I am not sure about the other states, but the also fly the Torres Strait Islanders flag along side the aboriginal on the government buildings up here.
I never have seen the Torres Straight Islanders flag in NSW or Victoria. Only the State, national and Aboriginal flags on Government buildings there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 06:01 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I never have seen the Torres Straight Islanders flag in NSW or Victoria. Only the State, national and Aboriginal flags on Government buildings there.
I thought that might be the case, the islands are entirely within QLD of course.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times
Indo-Caribbeans are a very interesting minority, people who have ancestry in India and live in the Caribbean.

Also the Indo-Surinamese, who have ancestry in India and live in Suriname, a country in South America, close to the Caribbean. More than 150,000 people in Suriname speak Sarnami Hindustani, a language that is a dialect of the Bhojpuri language from India.

Hinduism is the religion of 18.15% of the population of Trinidad and Tobago and the religion of 22.3% of the population of Suriname.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Indo-Caribbeans are a very interesting minority, people who have ancestry in India and live in the Caribbean.

Also the Indo-Surinamese, who have ancestry in India and live in Suriname, a country in South America, close to the Caribbean. More than 150,000 people in Suriname speak Sarnami Hindustani, a language that is a dialect of the Bhojpuri language from India.

Hinduism is the religion of 18.15% of the population of Trinidad and Tobago and the religion of 22.3% of the population of Suriname.
Same with Fiji. But here in Australia, Fijian Indians are very much known in Australia as it is the most popular country for Fijian Indians to migrate to.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:14 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Same with Fiji. But here in Australia, Fijian Indians are very much known in Australia as it is the most popular country for Fijian Indians to migrate to.
Are they? Not entirely sure how many Australians would be aware of such. While the Indian population from The Sub Continent has become the chief source of migrants into Australia, over years, I doubt many would distinguish Indian ethnicity with people coming from Kenya, Malaysia, Singapore, Mauritius, UK, or indeed those of similar appearance like Sri Lankans, Bangla's, Pakistani's and so on.

What would make Fijian Indians so very much known to the Australian public in your eyes?

Old 08-21-2020, 03:18 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I thought that might be the case, the islands are entirely within QLD of course.
The odd TI flag is seen in WA. Usually a setting around First Nation's people though.

It does not share a place beside the three, or increasingly four ( with the Rainbow colours) at government buildings or educational places of learning. Understandable in QLD it is more visible.

Perhaps the Cocos (Keelung) Islands and Christmas Island flags should be more prominent in the WA setting.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Are they? Not entirely sure how many Australians would be aware of such. While the Indian population from The Sub Continent has become the chief source of migrants into Australia, over years, I doubt many would distinguish Indian ethnicity with people coming from Kenya, Malaysia, Singapore, Mauritius, UK, or indeed those of similar appearance like Sri Lankans, Bangla's, Pakistani's and so on.

What would make Fijian Indians so very much known to the Australian public in your eyes?
I actually had a good friend back in my uni days, who was Fijian - Indian, he had to go through an arranged marriage . They are still together, almost 20 years later. I cant say how well known they are however.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:31 AM

Quote:
The odd TI flag is seen in WA. Usually a setting around First Nation's people though.

It does not share a place beside the three, or increasingly four ( with the Rainbow colours) at government buildings or educational places of learning. Understandable in QLD it is more visible.

Perhaps the Cocos (Keelung) Islands and Christmas Island flags should be more prominent in the WA setting.
I had no idea the Cocos and Christmas islands even had there own flag?

This is the QLD state parliament, you can clearly see it in this picture. (Twice if you look).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/88...x2-940x627.jpg

Old 08-21-2020, 08:56 PM

613 posts, read 326,880 times
The Uyghurs are known by now.. but did you know about the Hui who are ethnic Chinese Muslims?

Old 08-22-2020, 02:03 AM

Quote:

Well the amount of people that look like they are from the sub continent but say they are from Fiji. I am just talking about them meeting them in my encounters while living in Sydney and some of them referring say they are from Fiji. BTW I live in NSW and it may be different compared to living in Western Australia. Besides n Australia, the bulk of the Fijian-born Indian population lives in New South Wales. A majority of them practise Hinduism, followed by Islam and Christianity. Most of the population are bi-lingual. The Fijian-born form one of the fastest growing communities in Australia. https://multiculturalnsw.id.com.au/m...tion?COIID=113

Plus last year 370,830 Australians visited Fijihttps://www.thehotelconversation.com.au/2019/09/16/tourism-fiji-celebrates-another-year-record-visitor-arrivals/1568594156. Fiji has long been a holiday place for Australia. The result is so many Australians are exposed to Fijian Indians too.

If Australias were not aware of an Indian Fijian population then Fiji would not be such a popular place for Australians to vacate too, or if Australia did not get the large number of Fijian indians comming to Australia after the 1980s coup, which restulted in discrimination of Fijian Indians. BTW I first heard about the existance of Fijian indians when the coup that overthrow the Fijian indian leader in Fiji on the news in Australia in the 1980s.

In New Zealand 28 percent of the 105,000 Indians living in New Zealand were born in Fiji.BTW the first politician in New Zealand of Indian heritage is Fijian Indian Anand Satyanand

BTW the same way Australians can tell the difference of Americans and Canadians living in Australia, by them stating they are from there. Some Australians (a small minority of them) can tell the difference between Americans and Canadians by their accent. It is the same as telling the difference between a Indian born or Fijian born living in Australia.

Maybe for someone from Europe and USA people can be surprised to hear Fijian Indians are a large minority in Fiji, but it is less of a surprise for Australians and New Zealanders who are more exposed to them.

Also people in Australia would not generally know there is a large Korean minority in the former USSR central republic states in places such as Uzbekistan. They are known as Koryo-saram, because there are not many of them in Australia, nor places such as Uzbekistan is popular tourist place for Australians go to go.

Last edited by herenow1; 08-22-2020 at 03:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World