Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2019, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
yeah..1,7 percent...dead language.
But politicians, nationalists, use those extinct languages to gain power, obtain subventions and "build empire".
Just political claptrap.
The official language, JA...Irish would use any language as official language except English, but their language in English, better English than the one spoken in England.
Irish and English are the two official languages of the Republic of Ireland.

Old 10-25-2019, 06:46 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,503 times
I am an Argentine with Italian ancestry. If I had kids in the US, what would they be? Hispanic Americans? Italian Americans? Which blank should they fill in?

Old 10-25-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
I am an Argentine with Italian ancestry. If I had kids in the US, what would they be? Hispanic Americans? Italian Americans? Which blank should they fill in?
On what forms?

It's not mandated by the way. They don't have to make any sort of "choice" between "Hispanic" or "Italian." They don't have to claim either ethnicity.

I hope you're not worried about this. I mean - living in Argentina. Are you actually planning on having kids in the US? If so, they will typically be American citizens. Being an American citizen doesn't preclude a person from being a citizen of another country as well, for the record.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html

Old 10-25-2019, 07:32 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,503 times
No, I’m not planning on having kids in the US, and I know they would be Americans, but then, for Census purposes, they should or would enter in any of the ‘racial’ or ‘ethnic’ categories. Which one should it be? Or which one would be expected for them to ‘belong’ in?

Old 10-25-2019, 08:58 AM

536 posts, read 323,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Difficult to read all this since it's in one huge paragraph but whatever, I skimmed over it.

Coupla points:

1) Who are "you guys?" I'm not the OP. I don't have any sort of double standard.

2) "Get a grip" and other phrases that you use are considered sarcastic, rude, etc. In case you don't realize that. You don't have to "use adjectives" to come across as sarcastic, rude, bombastic, etc. I realize that you're not American so you may not realize this - that's why I'm pointing it out. You have said several times that you don't mean to come across as rude, so I'm letting you know that - well, you are.

3) You're the one insisting that language defines ethnicity. No professional source agrees with you, so I really don't bother much with a very small number of strangers in an online forum. Sorry - not much validity there. I'll stick with the professionals when it comes to definitions.

4) You come across as thinking that "just americans" is some sort of "putting Americans in their place" or whatever. To clarify - Being "just" American is not an insult. I'm proud to be "just american." I don't think of myself as European in any way, shape or form (and frankly, that makes me happy). That being said, I personally find my own family's history to be interesting - though I don't expect others to find it interesting at all. Even if some of it is pretty interesting. For instance, I'm related to Jesse James and to Robert "King" Carter, and I have ancestors who were both prosecutors and prosecuted during the Salem Witch Trials, and I also have ancestors who fought on both sides during the Revolutionary and Civil Wars, and one of my ancestors laid out the street plans for Yorktown, VA and planned the fortifications that allowed settlers to survive in Jamestown VA - I don't expect you to be intrigued by any of that but for a history buff like myself it's pretty cool. Oh - that guy was a French Huguenot, for the record. But you can relax - I don't consider myself to be French.

No, I am the one insisting that culture and traditions define ethnicity, ethnic groups. And language is main cultural trait that separates various ethnic groups. How do you think yoruba ethnic group differs themeselves the most from igbo ethnic group? Through language. How do you think zulu differ themselves from xhosa at first glance? Through language.

You are just unbelievable. You just posted quotes from various dictionaries that completely prove you wrong and confirm what I've been telling the whole time. Here are quotes from your sources.

"an ethnic group; a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language" dictionary.com
"a large group of people who have the same national, racial, or cultural origins, or the state of belonging to such a group"dictionary.cambridge.org

According to those definitions that you yourself posted you were completely wrong in saying that it is enough to have some ancestors from few hundred years ago to claim some ethnicity, ethnic groups and cultural connection such as language, dialect, beliefes, habits, norms are not improtant at all. That all it takes is to have some ancestors from long time ago. You proved yourself wrong by posting those definitions above. You wrote that there was no "language" word in definitions you posted yet there clearly was that word used as shown in above quote. But even if this particular word had not been used, every person after primary school knows that language is a major part of culture and tradition. Don't you know that language is basic part of a culture? Culture which is language, dialect, religion habits, norms those are the things that define ethnic groups, ethnicities and not some ancestors from few hundred years ago. Get real. Those definitions from the sources that you used as well as common sense prove it. This is not 17th century. Today average american have ancestors from various countries not just one and is of the same american cultural origins as 90 percent of other americans.

And here we go again. Once again I hurt your feelings. This time for some reason by posting word "just" in front of the word "americans" It meant to indicate the fact that it is americans without any other name of specific group of people in front of it. Nothing more. And you say that you are not oversensitive? lol. It is obvious that you read my posts. Stop with this silly "I just read a skim of it" or that you just refer to that line that you casually saw. It is weird. If you don't wanna write to me then don't write to me if you wanna write to me then do it, but stop with this nonsense that helps you only to avoid answering uncomfortable questions. This is not high school but public forum.

And by the way, what the heck is indian ethnicity? Do you know how many ethnic groups. Some even not related to eachother in any way live on this subcontinent? Pure ignorance.

Last edited by WestPreussen; 10-25-2019 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-25-2019, 10:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Default Put your mind @ rest

Quote:
No, I’m not planning on having kids in the US, and I know they would be Americans, but then, for Census purposes, they should or would enter in any of the ‘racial’ or ‘ethnic’ categories. Which one should it be? Or which one would be expected for them to ‘belong’ in?
TMK, the census data on race/ethnicity is self-reporting. There are no wrong answers, nor (as far as I know) does anyone check the responses to make sure they align with reality, however construed. In fact, Census data is protected much like health data is protected in the US; any statistical operations carried out on the raw data are supposed to strip out & ignore any personally identifiable data.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:56 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,405 times
When I have to fill a form asking me "ethnicity", I leave blank this field.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
They can put "American" if they like. No one is going to care one way or the other.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPreussen View Post
No, I am the one insisting that culture and traditions define ethnicity, ethnic groups. And language is main cultural trait that separates various ethnic groups. How do you think yoruba ethnic group differs themeselves the most from igbo ethnic group? Through language. How do you think zulu differ themselves from xhosa at first glance? Through language.

You are just unbelievable. You just posted quotes from various dictionaries that completely prove you wrong and confirm what I've been telling the whole time. Here are quotes from your sources.

"an ethnic group; a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language" dictionary.com
"a large group of people who have the same national, racial, or cultural origins, or the state of belonging to such a group"dictionary.cambridge.org

According to those definitions that you yourself posted you were completely wrong in saying that it is enough to have some ancestors from few hundred years ago to claim some ethnicity, ethnic groups and cultural connection such as language, dialect, beliefes, habits, norms are not improtant at all. That all it takes is to have some ancestors from long time ago. You proved yourself wrong by posting those definitions above. You wrote that there was no "language" word in definitions you posted yet there clearly was that word used as shown in above quote. But even if this particular word had not been used, every person after primary school knows that language is a major part of culture and tradition. Don't you know that language is basic part of a culture? Culture which is language, dialect, religion habits, norms those are the things that define ethnic groups, ethnicities and not some ancestors from few hundred years ago. Get real. Those definitions from the sources that you used as well as common sense prove it. This is not 17th century. Today average american have ancestors from various countries not just one and is of the same american cultural origins as 90 percent of other americans.

And here we go again. Once again I hurt your feelings. This time for some reason by posting word "just" in front of the word "americans" It meant to indicate the fact that it is americans without any other name of specific group of people in front of it. Nothing more. And you say that you are not oversensitive? lol. It is obvious that you read my posts. Stop with this silly "I just read a skim of it" or that you just refer to that line that you casually saw. It is weird. If you don't wanna write to me then don't write to me if you wanna write to me then do it, but stop with this nonsense that helps you only to avoid answering uncomfortable questions. This is not high school but public forum.

And by the way, what the heck is indian ethnicity? Do you know how many ethnic groups. Some even not related to eachother in any way live on this subcontinent? Pure ignorance.
You left off part of the definition you were quoting - but I didn't, so I'll post it again:

Quote:
ethnicity[ eth-nis-i-tee ]
noun, plural eth·nic·i·ties.
an ethnic group; a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ethnicity

"Or" is a very important word there. It means "EITHER" a common and distinctive culture - OR - religion - OR - language - OR - the like. To clarify. Maybe English isn't your first language so you get a pass on that but hope that helps.

Also, no wonder you find me "unbelievable." I find your version of me unbelievable too, since you are just continuing to twist what I say into what I didn't say, and you're also trying your best to shove words into my mouth that I didn't say. I notice that you don't quote me, because, well, you really can't, or it would be obvious to you and me and everyone else (poor people) who may be reading this that I did not say what you're claiming I did. For instance, I have NEVER said anything along the lines of "it is enough to have some ancestors from few hundred years ago to claim some ethnicity, ethnic groups and cultural connection such as language, dialect, beliefes, habits, norms are not improtant at all. That all it takes is to have some ancestors from long time ago." I also didn't say this: "You wrote that there was no "language" word in definitions you posted yet there clearly was that word used as shown in above quote." No, I did not write or say that.

By the way, you didn't hurt my feelings. I said you are responding in a rude and inflammatory manner - and you are. But you're not hurting my feelings. I'm just pointing out when you're rude and inflammatory. I'm actually getting a kick, albeit a small one, out of your posts.

I'm not going to go back and reread my posts, but if I used the term "Indian ancestry," I'm pretty sure the meaning was obvious in context. It's not a term I generally use. In fact, I don't know what YOU mean by it for that matter. Next time, quote me or at least give the post # so I know what you're talking about. Thanks.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 10-25-2019 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-25-2019, 05:06 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
The only thing I want to say about this thread is that reading it feels like flogging a dead horse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World