Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is a better City if you're filthy rich: London or New York?
London 48 48.48%
New York 51 51.52%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 05:55 AM

27,127 posts, read 13,424,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I said London wins for me but if you want to leave a large inheritance to your offspring, NYC is much better.
The very rich in London pay lower property taxes than NYC and most of their money is abroad and is untouched by British taxes.

Furthermore unlike the US where citizens are required to pay taxes full stop, British citizens can even move their money overseas and out of the reach of taxes.

List of people with non-domiciled status in the UK - Wikipedia

Offshore Tax Avoidance Schemes - Nixon Williams

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The very rich in London pay lower property taxes than NYC and most of their money is abroad and is untouched by British taxes.

Furthermore unlike the US where citizens are required to pay taxes full stop, British citizens can even move their money overseas and out of the reach of taxes.

List of people with non-domiciled status in the UK - Wikipedia

Offshore Tax Avoidance Schemes - Nixon Williams

Well, I worked almost exclusively with Brits from 2014-2018 and have had many discussions about the British death taxes as well as the taxation of income not earned in country, etc. Are you saying most wealthy Brits sufficiently hide their wealth effectively to avoid paying death taxes? Because that is not what I was led to believe in discussions with dozens of Brits who in general were fairly wealthy.

About property taxes, I just discussed with my British friend visiting about his Council taxes compared to our property taxes and what is included in those fees....his taxes are less but then his house is no where near as nice as mine. I think the taxes are too high in NYC so I wouldn't doubt if your claim is correct but I can say for sure there are US cities where you will do better than NYC or London when it comes to property taxes and costs.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well, I worked almost exclusively with Brits from 2014-2018 and have had many discussions about the British death taxes as well as the taxation of income not earned in country, etc. Are you saying most wealthy Brits sufficiently hide their wealth effectively to avoid paying death taxes? Because that is not what I was led to believe in discussions with dozens of Brits who in general were fairly wealthy.

About property taxes, I just discussed with my British friend visiting about his Council taxes compared to our property taxes and what is included in those fees....his taxes are less but then his house is no where near as nice as mine. I think the taxes are too high in NYC so I wouldn't doubt if your claim is correct but I can say for sure there are US cities where you will do better than NYC or London when it comes to property taxes and costs.
The mega-rich do not pay death taxes on most of their estate as they have money invested across the world and are often not even British citizens but non-doms. They also have houses across the world.

Even wealthy British people use overseas offshore tax avoidance, and invest in other countries, and this money can not be touched after their deaths. There are also lots of tax havens and Swiss banks in Europe.

As for the very wealthy in London, many are members of royalty or world leaders who run entire countries own London property, as well as other extremely powerful people. Do you really think if the King of Saudi Arabia dies that the tax office is going to demand death duties on his entire estate, and the same goes for Jordan, Qatar, Brunei, the Aga Khan etc etc. Just because you own a property does not mean you are liable for death duties, and in terms of death the mega-rich could die anywhere, as they travel a lot. Whilst properties are sometimes passed down to other family members.

Behind the doors of London's £3 billion street - Foxtons Blog

As for Council Tax, it depends on the value of the property and it's location, although it is limited to the cost of providing public services to the property, and is not a vast amount.

Council Tax - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-05-2019 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 AM

163 posts, read 137,644 times
These are the places where the world's super-rich really live:
1. London, England
4. New York, USA
https://www.thejournal.ie/richest-ci...23204-Apr2015/

Favorite Cities of the Super Rich:
No. 1. London
No. 2. New York City
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/eglg.../#672fc73d2192

Old 11-05-2019, 10:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,801,560 times
You could not pay me to live in NYC, however, love London.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:39 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
If you are 'filthy rich' why not live in both!

Old 11-05-2019, 07:26 PM

163 posts, read 137,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
One may not have Citizenship to live for more than three months in said Country.

Old 11-06-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The very rich probably do.

I wonder how much homes such as Witanhurst in Highgate or the Duke of Northumberland's Syon House in West London are now worth. The last estimate I saw for Witanhurst was £300 million and the current owners have now built a large super-basements under the house.

Artist Impression Showing New Basement under Witanhurst

Witanhurst - Wikipedia

London's Most Mysterious Mansion | The New Yorker (2015)

Riddle of the £300 million Witanhurst House of Secrets is solved - Daily Mail (2015)

Mega-rich homes tour puts spotlight on London's oligarchs - The Guardian (2016)

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-06-2019 at 04:40 AM..

Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 AM

Syon House in West London which is owned by the Duke and Dutchess of Northumberland. They also own Alnwick Castle, which was Hogwarts in the Harry Potter films.

Syon House - Wikipedia

Syon Park

Harry Potter at Alnwick Castle | A Hogwarts Castle Experience

Old 11-06-2019, 08:52 AM

Grade II listed Forbes House at 10 Halkin Street, Belgravia, London SW1 sold for £150 million last year, however it's estimayted that planned refurbishment work will double the value of the property.

Forbes House, Belgravia - Wikipedia

Qatari billionaire plans London's first £300MILLION home with six storeys, 25 bedrooms, a cinema, library, sauna and Turkish bath - The Sun (2018)

At An Estimated $465 Million, Sheikh Hamad Al-Thani's Mansion Can Be London's Most Expensive House - Forbes (2018)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World