Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:23 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times

Advertisements

Claudia López: Colombia's capital elects gay woman as mayor | BBC NEWS

Anti-corruption advocate wins Bogota election, nabs Colombia’s 2nd most powerful position | Colombia Reports

Bogota- Colombia by Julian Alvarez, on Flickr
Lievano Palace, Bogota

Voted into the Lievano palace on Sunday, Claudia Lopez becomes Bogota's first female and gay mayor - the country's second most important political position. With this Bogota becomes the first capital in the Americas to vote in an openly gay mayor. Lopez, representing the Green party alliance has dealt a major blow to both the Right (Uribistas) and Left (Petristas). Furthermore the Right and Left also saw major set-backs on a national level as Colombia's voting tendencies mature into policy-driven motivation rather than political or ideological factions.

En bici al Congreso 47 by Concejala de Bogotá, on Flickr

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 10-29-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 03:39 PM

*Meant to say First of an American capital, Bogota is actually fourth in the world after Paris, Berlin and Luxembourg.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:20 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,021,534 times
Meanwhile in bulgaria a mayor candidate just days ago had a campaign slogan "end of the gay prides" - and this guy once finished 2nd as a president of the country, so it's not just some random redneck.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:12 AM

839 posts, read 735,080 times
Meanwhile, in the most conservative city in Canada, they elected a non-white, rumored to be gay, Muslim man who was born to Muslim immigrant parents from Africa as mayor of the city (did I already mention the most conservative city in Canada?) back in 2010 (almost 10 years ago)....

And he has been re-elected twice as he is now in his 3rd term in office.

Just saying...

Old 10-30-2019, 11:56 AM

Isn't Islam an ultra-conservative religion? Calgary being conservative I don't think is the main point of sirprise - I may be wrong.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Meanwhile in bulgaria a mayor candidate just days ago had a campaign slogan "end of the gay prides" - and this guy once finished 2nd as a president of the country, so it's not just some random redneck.
Eastern Europe is quite backwards.

Anti-LGBT rhetoric stokes tensions in eastern Europe

Old 10-30-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Eastern Europe is quite backwards.

Anti-LGBT rhetoric stokes tensions in eastern Europe

When it comes to LGBT yes we are, no need to sugarcoat it... but when it comes to overall intelligence of the young crowd I'd say we beat the western world by a mile: almost no issues with drugs or AIDS in most of eastern europe among the youth excluding Russia, as well as way better education about math, history and geography...
I am talking about 18-25, as someone pushing 30s I don't fall in that range...just commenting on what I see.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:33 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
When it comes to LGBT yes we are, no need to sugarcoat it... but when it comes to overall intelligence of the young crowd I'd say we beat the western world by a mile: almost no issues with drugs or AIDS in most of eastern europe among the youth excluding Russia, as well as way better education about math, history and geography...
I am talking about 18-25, as someone pushing 30s I don't fall in that range...just commenting on what I see.
I don't think so. Eastern Europe is far behind in many areas. I'll concede that the average person is better in math, but definitely not in history, which is usually full of propaganda.

I'm from an Eastern European background as well.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I don't think so. Eastern Europe is far behind in many areas. I'll concede that the average person is better in math, but definitely not in history, which is usually full of propaganda.

I'm from an Eastern European background as well.

Yeah I am from Mongolian background seeing how the huns were from that region...yet I know nothing about this country...being from "background" hardly gives anyone special knowledge unless you have scientificly proven racist theories that you somehow have knowledge about a country based on your ancestors.

And how is eastern european history today full of propaganda, ages since the fall of communism?
If anything is full of propaganda it has to be US media...just look at the post from a user in another thread that America is the "most free country in the world" - good it was easthome to reply to him/her as I don't have the energy to even bother about such absurd claims these days.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:47 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Yeah I am from Mongolian background seeing how the huns were from that region...yet I know nothing about this country...being from "background" hardly gives anyone special knowledge unless you have scientificly proven racist theories that you somehow have knowledge about a country based on your ancestors.
I know about it because I've been there on multiple occasions and have both immediate and distant family still spread out across it. A lot of people, particularly the older generation that grew up under communism, have expressed xenophobic sentiments. I'm from a mixed Serb/Croat and Italian background and I've had to deal with all kinds of stuff growing up.

Quote:
And how is eastern european history today full of propaganda, ages since the fall of communism?
If anything is full of propaganda it has to be US media...just look at the post from a user in another thread that America is the "most free country in the world" - good it was easthome to reply to him/her as I don't have the energy to even bother about such absurd claims these days.
Yes, there's propaganda everywhere including the West, but in pales in comparison to what I've come across from Eastern Europe. People in Western countries are usually a lot better at dealing with criticism and covering events in more objective term (of course there is still propaganda).

Even a biased source like CNN doesn't portray America as the "most free country". I don't know where that guy got his info from. None of the American news outlets that I read have made such outrageous claims.

Business Insider doesn't even place any American city in the top 10 for most livable.

Either ways, this is going off topic so I don't want to flood this thread with this. I hope you weren't offended by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World