Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which new city(ies) would you most like to see host the Olympics for first time?
Accra 4 12.12%
Bologna 0 0%
Brisbane 6 18.18%
Budapest 3 9.09%
Buenos Aires 1 3.03%
Cairo 1 3.03%
Jakarta 0 0%
Johannesburg 6 18.18%
Kuala Lumpur + Singapore 6 18.18%
Madrid 2 6.06%
Mumbai 0 0%
Rhine-Ruhr 1 3.03%
Saint Petersburg 3 9.09%
Shanghai 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM

37,071 posts, read 39,245,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I voted for Kuala Lumpur/Singapore. Both are beautiful cities and have the financial resources to pull off a great Olympic games.

This is unrelated, but of all the cities you listed, who has a tastier cuisine than Kuala Lumpur/Singapore?
Yea, KL and Singapore, alongside a single Shanghai bid, are probably most capable of hosting the Olympics financially and in terms of existing infrastructure.

Indonesian cuisine is similar and shares some dishes, so Jakarta is closest to what KL/Singapore has, but not necessarily tastier. I'd be partial to Joburg in that I've tried and liked several places serving variants on South African cuisine, but have never been there. Joburg is probably also decently equipped to deal with the Olympics--or least could be twelve years from now. It's a relatively sports-obsessed country so there are a lot of existing stadia in the city and region, improving transit infrastructure, and a large enough population that an influx of people from the Olympics will be a pretty minor blip. Also, pretty good weather.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 02:36 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,140,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, KL and Singapore, alongside a single Shanghai bid, are probably most capable of hosting the Olympics financially and in terms of existing infrastructure.
To be clear, the Shanghai bid also includes Hangzhou and Nanjing so it's not necessarily a single city host, but it would indeed get top billing.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
To be clear, the Shanghai bid also includes Hangzhou and Nanjing so it's not necessarily a single city host, but it would indeed get top billing.
Ah, I did see that. I guess it didn't register for me to state that explicitly because it's not across national boundaries.

With that, I'm guessing the Joburg bid includes Durban for water-y things?

Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Indonesian cuisine is similar and shares some dishes, so Jakarta is closest to what KL/Singapore has, but not necessarily tastier. I'd be partial to Joburg in that I've tried and liked several places serving variants on South African cuisine, but have never been there. Joburg is probably also decently equipped to deal with the Olympics--or least could be twelve years from now. It's a relatively sports-obsessed country so there are a lot of existing stadia in the city and region, improving transit infrastructure, and a large enough population that an influx of people from the Olympics will be a pretty minor blip. Also, pretty good weather.
Wanted to add that, like KL/Singapore and Jakarta, Joburg also has Malay-influenced cuisine since there were some Malay (Indonesians) who emigrated there during the Dutch colonial period.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:59 PM

8,858 posts, read 8,422,008 times
None of them. It should be hosted in a city that has hosted it before and use the same facilities.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,522,801 times
I would vote for Accra. I think it's good to Africa to have more places known worldwide other than Egypt and South Africa.
However, I hardly can imagine other city outside Asia, Russia and USA hosting Olympic Games. Europeans (and after Rio 2014, latin americans) don't want anymore to host such expensive event, and especially asian countries don't mind spending money. Kuala Lumpur, Saint Petersburg or Jakarta are more likely to get it.

(Olympics 2032... oh my G'd, I'll be 50 years-old...!!!)

Old 11-28-2019, 03:43 PM

799 posts, read 463,682 times
Johannesburg, Pretoria (Gauteng) and maybe Durban + Cape Town if necessary to share the hosting duties

Old 02-28-2021, 02:48 PM

5,007 posts, read 5,646,034 times
2021 Update (Wow, has a lot happened since this): Brisbane has been announced as the "preferred city" of the IOC to host in 2032.

Thoughts? I think infrastructurally, they have been improving, and should be able to handle this, and at this point now, they are legitimately as a name brand on the world stage, whereas before Brisbane was probably significantly less well known on a global scale than say, Sydney and Melbourne. Props and congrats to them (as it is likely it will wind up there apparently), and best of luck on hosting!

I wonder if one of the themes here can be helping to restore/save the Great Barrier Reef. I realize that is more like 800ish miles away from Brisbane itself, but I can't help lumping them together just because it is the closest major city, and I'd have to imagine, a possible stop over point for tourists on their way to check out that area.

In any case, I would imagine that the beach volleyball, potentially on Gold Coast, would be pretty neat!

Old 02-28-2021, 03:57 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,483,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Johannesburg, Pretoria (Gauteng) and maybe Durban + Cape Town if necessary to share the hosting duties
I’d argue that Cape Town and Durban would be a better fit than Johannesburg, if only because the former strikes me as a more iconic city.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:30 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,484,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
2021 Update (Wow, has a lot happened since this): Brisbane has been announced as the "preferred city" of the IOC to host in 2032.

Thoughts? I think infrastructurally, they have been improving, and should be able to handle this, and at this point now, they are legitimately as a name brand on the world stage, whereas before Brisbane was probably significantly less well known on a global scale than say, Sydney and Melbourne. Props and congrats to them (as it is likely it will wind up there apparently), and best of luck on hosting!

I wonder if one of the themes here can be helping to restore/save the Great Barrier Reef. I realize that is more like 800ish miles away from Brisbane itself, but I can't help lumping them together just because it is the closest major city, and I'd have to imagine, a possible stop over point for tourists on their way to check out that area.

In any case, I would imagine that the beach volleyball, potentially on Gold Coast, would be pretty neat!
I am surprised as anyone about that, I cant say I am overjoyed at the prospect of the Olympics been held in Brisbane.

Its seems the things working in Brisbane's Favor is that most of the infrastructure already exists, or is under construction.

Also at least 10 different governments (Federal, State, and south east QLD local/city councils) are in favor of it.

Its also very much a south east QLD bid, and may be very different to any other Olympics, the Opening and Closing ceremony may be held in a rectangular (Football) stadium, the athletics and swimming held on on the Gold Coast (The main Circular stadium in Brisbane, is way too built up in its immediate vicinity, to allow proper warm up facilities), the rowing and Canoeing might even be held in Sydney, using the same venues at the 2000 Olympics.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-28-2021 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World