Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:14 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
but your location is listed as Cannes, so I have to assume you somehow have obtained residence permission in France.

Is that correct?
No, it's Cebu, Philippiles. Even with a Filipina wife, I have a well-worn track to the immigration office, where I have tithed about a thousand dollars to the gods of corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 02:39 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
With 35yo (!) and 720k per year, just live (rent) around the world for 6month and then buy in the city you fell in love with and sell the one in Cannes
I thought about this, and you have a good point, but i would prefer a shorter(2 months) stay.
So here some food for thought:
North America:

Chicago: Fantastic city, great connectivity( o'hare is a great hub) lots to do and the winter doesn't bother me.

Nashville: More americanized(?), friendly people, decent size and connectivity, plenty to do.

Europe:

London: Beast of a city, amazing connectivity to anywhere in the world, people were always nice with me but less friendly than other places. The weather is something that bother me but i can always fly to the cost whenever i need sun.

Madrid: Love Spain, i speak Spanish so it helps, great location , tons to do.

Asia/ Pacific

still thinking

Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Lots of day dreaming here. Realistically most people I'd guess wind up spending their lives in Podunk.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Lots of day dreaming here. Realistically most people I'd guess wind up spending their lives in Podunk.
it's funny that some people can't accept that there are wealthy people out there, and feel the need to bash and post childish stuff. Look at how many people are a member of city data. Do you really think that everyone is blue colar with average salary? I am not trying to be arrogant but if my thread bothers you just ignore it.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
What do you do with your time? What leisure activities do you like? What do you envision for intellectual stimulation? Most people pick where they live based on those sorts of things. I ski. I sail. I've been to Singapore a few times on business. I wouldn't pick sea level on the equator.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
What do you do with your time? What leisure activities do you like? What do you envision for intellectual stimulation? Most people pick where they live based on those sorts of things. I ski. I sail. I've been to Singapore a few times on business. I wouldn't pick sea level on the equator.
Thanks for the reply. My background is in economics and i did my master's in Finance, but i love technology and have invested in a couple of start-ups. I've been living in Brazil which is a great place to make money( financial market) but i don't like the lack of freedom( from gated community to safe areas). I enjoy walking. , cars ( old cars but not 100k classic spotless cars) give me an Oldsmobile 442 and i will be smiling for months. I like mountains too, and the outdoors. I don;t have to live by the mountains but it would be nice if it was accessible(by plane is fine). Don't care much for the beach despite being born close to it. I am a more of a low key person but I do like cities, going for a drink, live music , theater. I am not looking for a lavish life with Ferraris, boats and a mansion... As for intellectual stimulation, i will continue with investment, just in a smaller scale so basically i would just need a good internet connection. I'be been studying machine learning, big data and Ai because it fascinates me. As i said i like live music and a drink and of course old cars and motorcycle. I do love traveling, so a major hub would be a plus( i gave the example of Chicago because of o'hare). On things i don't like...massy places, like São Paulo and Rio, just too much to deal with: red tape, overcrowded and poor public transportation, safety...ect etc. Same with Mexico City which was recommended. Beautiful city just not to live in.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:01 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Reading more about ya, I'm gonna tweak my reply for Asia to be: Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:56 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,804 times
I'm surprisedno one has suggested Madrid. Weather is nice, it's a large city and, while not cheap, doesn't seem like a pricey location such as Singapore. Is there some reason Madrid is not considered?

Old 11-21-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
I'm surprisedno one has suggested Madrid. Weather is nice, it's a large city and, while not cheap, doesn't seem like a pricey location such as Singapore. Is there some reason Madrid is not considered?
I listed Madrid

Old 11-21-2019, 06:14 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
No, it's Cebu, Philippiles. Even with a Filipina wife, I have a well-worn track to the immigration office, where I have tithed about a thousand dollars to the gods of corruption.

Just curious, what part of Cebu do you live in? My wife used to live in Mandaue years ago. We've considered it as a retirement spot as my wife is filipino but we are looking at Chiang Mai Thailand. Cebu will be a back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World