U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2019, 08:07 PM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
11,786 posts, read 9,994,720 times
Reputation: 26270

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post

...... Do we know what - if anything - is below the ice there?

It's all rock. In November 2018 scientists released the information that it's a tectonic jigsaw puzzle made up of the core remnants of long dead continents.


Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/s...continent.html

Beneath Antarctica’s Ice Is a Graveyard of Dead Continents

....... scientists have now found that East Antarctica is in fact a graveyard of continental remnants. They have created stunning 3-D maps of the southernmost continent’s tectonic underworld and found that the ice has been concealing wreckage of an ancient supercontinent’s spectacular destruction......

...... revealed that East Antarctica is a jigsaw puzzle of at least three geological titans named cratonic provinces. Cratons (from the Greek “kratos,” meaning “strength”) are stable rocky cores of continents that survived hundreds of millions of years of destructive action by Earth’s plate tectonics.
One craton has geological similarities with some of Australia’s bedrock, while another resembles part of India’s. The third is an amalgamation of pieces of old seafloors........
.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2019, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,731 posts, read 21,004,613 times
Reputation: 37767
Why can’t we live in a large dome on Antarctica?

We can. The reason we don't is because we do not have any reason to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2019, 07:14 PM
 
5,067 posts, read 2,241,227 times
Reputation: 4198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's all rock. In November 2018 scientists released the information that it's a tectonic jigsaw puzzle made up of the core remnants of long dead continents.



.
Yeah, the continent lies 2km below the ice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 04:32 PM
 
548 posts, read 404,761 times
Reputation: 592
Should climate change actually run amok like some say, the outer fringes of Western Antarctica jutting out into the ocean I think would support some permanent, self-sustaining (i.e. doesn't need supplies flown in but can actually support its own agriculture and livestock, even in domed greenhouses) human habitation as there is just enough sunlight to be viable. I don't see an actual city there during this half of the century though. Deeper into the center of the pole, probably never unless the rest of the world is completely doomed - just not sun through the year.

Maybe in the 2100s we would be hearing about the Republic of Antarctica declaring its independence...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2019, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
4,869 posts, read 3,306,429 times
Reputation: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Should climate change actually run amok like some say, the outer fringes of Western Antarctica jutting out into the ocean I think would support some permanent, self-sustaining (i.e. doesn't need supplies flown in but can actually support its own agriculture and livestock, even in domed greenhouses) human habitation as there is just enough sunlight to be viable. I don't see an actual city there during this half of the century though. Deeper into the center of the pole, probably never unless the rest of the world is completely doomed - just not sun through the year.

Maybe in the 2100s we would be hearing about the Republic of Antarctica declaring its independence...
It's far easier to inhabit the Arcitic than the Antarctic, so if it ever came to it we would just develop the Arctic more. Currently there are only about 4 million people living north of the Arctic circle, with a large chunk of that living in Murmansk Oblast with a population of 753,557 (18.8%).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 AM
 
290 posts, read 109,697 times
Reputation: 316
What is the point of moving there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2019, 03:03 PM
 
548 posts, read 404,761 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
It's far easier to inhabit the Arcitic than the Antarctic, so if it ever came to it we would just develop the Arctic more. Currently there are only about 4 million people living north of the Arctic circle, with a large chunk of that living in Murmansk Oblast with a population of 753,557 (18.8%).
The state of geopolitics in the next century as much as a changing global climate may play a role in influencing whether Antarctica ever establishes a permanent settlement there. Settlements in northern Canada and Russia aren't exactly open to everyone in the world.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 08:47 PM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
11,786 posts, read 9,994,720 times
Reputation: 26270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yeah, the continent lies 2km below the ice.

Well, not entirely. There are mountains on the Antarctic Peninsula and a few other parts of Antarctica, and there are the Transantarctic Mountains ranges that transects East and West Antarctica, with Mount Kirkpatrick having the highest peak of them all at 14,856 ft. (2.8 miles) above sea level.

My main point though is that the whole continent of Antarctica is rock and everything the ice sits on is solid rock upthrusts and crushed rock gravel. There is no viable soil in Antarctica. Just rock and ice.

The geology / topographical features of the surface of Antarctica is seen in the picture below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transantarctic_Mountains

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l_features.jpg



Last edited by Zoisite; 12-07-2019 at 08:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2019, 08:54 PM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
11,786 posts, read 9,994,720 times
Reputation: 26270
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
What is the point of moving there?

There is no point. I think the OP just didn't understand enough about what Antarctica actually IS.
.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2019, 01:10 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,669 posts, read 775,195 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
The state of geopolitics in the next century as much as a changing global climate may play a role in influencing whether Antarctica ever establishes a permanent settlement there. Settlements in northern Canada and Russia aren't exactly open to everyone in the world.
Those settlements are still substantially easier to get to than Antarctica.

In regards to geopolitics.... It would be interesting for a country to break the Antarctic Treaty System (ATS), which essentially sets aside Antarctica as a scientific preserve, establishes freedom of scientific investigation, and bans military activity on the continent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top