Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the best place in the World to experience XMAS?
France 7 12.28%
Germany 26 45.61%
UK 4 7.02%
USA 20 35.09%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 06:43 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times

Advertisements

Depends really on individual preferences on how they want to spend Christmas. I would say being home with family and friends is a nice way to spend Christmas.

In recent years, for lack of common time among family members, usually took the opportunity to travel together during the Christmas holidays. Recently, I've come to prefer to go to places like Japan where there are Christmas decorations present but almost everything is still open on Christmas Day.

One of those years, our family spent Christmas Day at Disneyland in California. Big mistake, really really crowded.

Also went to visit a family member who got married to a German in Hamburg few years ago. Decorations are nice, but Christmas Day itself is eerily quiet with nothing to do. If we don't have family there, it will even be quieter. Everyone pays for their own dinner at the restaurant on Christmas Eve in Germany. Did not even equally divide the bill among "family", out of around 20 people who attended that dinner, the bill was split 6 ways, one for each household and exactly based on what each person ordered. And the server was so used to this. We got some culture shock right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 10:34 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Also went to visit a family member who got married to a German in Hamburg few years ago. Decorations are nice, but Christmas Day itself is eerily quiet with nothing to do. If we don't have family there, it will even be quieter. Everyone pays for their own dinner at the restaurant on Christmas Eve in Germany. Did not even equally divide the bill among "family", out of around 20 people who attended that dinner, the bill was split 6 ways, one for each household and exactly based on what each person ordered. And the server was so used to this. We got some culture shock right there.
I've never spent Christmas in Germany, but my in-laws are German and for them, the entire holiday was concentrated into 3 hours on Christmas Eve. We would show up at their house around 6 pm, have a big dinner, then open presents. By 9 pm, it was all over and we went home.

It worked out for us, because we could then spend Christmas Day with my side of the family. But I asked my husband what he and his brother used to do on Christmas Day, since there were no presents, no dinner, etc., and he said, "Nothing." They didn't even have stockings to open in the morning.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:29 PM

163 posts, read 137,856 times
I see that Germany is billed as the go-to place for XMAS, but does Germany have Snow during XMAS because that makes it even more magical, that's why I like NY XMAS so much.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:46 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX101MAX101 View Post
I see that Germany is billed as the go-to place for XMAS, but does Germany have Snow during XMAS because that makes it even more magical, that's why I like NY XMAS so much.
Snow is hit or miss in NYC. Of all the times I've been in NYC during Christmas, there wasn't any snow. It is usually pretty cold though.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Inclement weather can cause traffic and flight delays. You may be stuck in a hotel room or an airport terminal and not be able to go anywhere.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:29 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Actually, I remember a number of years ago I was driving on I-295 in New Jersey the day after Christmas. It was snowing like crazy and there was already 11 inches of snow on the road surface. I couldn't go more than 15 miles per hour behind a tractor trailer the entire way. Cars were skidding all over the place and the visibility was very low.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:48 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
In Ukraine, on January 7. Ukraine is an awesome country, cheap and visa-free.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:44 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,527,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Snow is hit or miss in NYC. Of all the times I've been in NYC during Christmas, there wasn't any snow. It is usually pretty cold though.

Also, be careful what you wish for. Inclement weather can cause traffic and flight delays. You may be stuck in a hotel room or an airport terminal and not be able to go anywhere.
Why not Poland?

I’m reading a lot of posts talking about Germany and USA, but Poland is very underrated. Poland has all of the things related to Christmas, plus a lot of snow in winter. And the Christian faith is very strong in Poland, which brings a real meaning to Christmas and not a mere party for tradition and entertainment.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:25 PM

39 posts, read 17,348 times
Any of these 3 places:
Germany
New York City, NY
London, England

Old 12-18-2019, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens10 View Post
Any of these 3 places:
Germany
New York City, NY
London, England
But it doesn't snow in London so it's not as magical as NYC.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Get a Helicopter, sorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World