U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2019, 05:32 PM
Status: "Peace, order and good government" (set 29 days ago)

6,425 posts, read 5,642,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
. The metro in Montreal is insufficient for the size of the city and hasn't built any station for many decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
....d the last station was opened 12 years ago, ......
lmao!!! ok you win.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 05:37 PM

573 posts, read 274,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Well, that’s 3 more lines than Sydney, and we have 72km under construction... Just saying

That’s a federal government failure, the city and province have nothing to do with it. Anyway it was 40 years ago. What does this have to do with current transit developments?
The suburban network in Sydney doesn't work like the Montreal's network. Some lines operate like a metro system. I take the train every day to work and there is a train every 4 mins in peak hours. (north shore line) I live in the inner west and the trains are very frequent. The trains are very comfy and not like those cheap plastic seats like the montreal's metro, and the staff there are super rude if you speak in english. I am glad I speak french. The system is a mess in winter with so many breakdowns. I myself experienced it. Sydney has a great bus network, better than anywhere in North America. Including the Bline. There is a light rail line and another one opened on Saturday. Plus another one opening in March and one more under construction.
The ferry network is also great. Contactless payments are available. Oh, and there is an airport lineeeee.
Compare all what I said with Toronto and that city is even worse than Montreal in terms of transport with those pointless lines.

Old 12-14-2019, 06:19 PM

573 posts, read 274,664 times
Two aussie cities on the top 10.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....019/index.html

Old 12-15-2019, 02:28 AM

6,123 posts, read 1,543,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
They are both not as good as Nordic countries for people wishing to move to a developed country.
For living, they are both better than the US and UK except they are not big powers or important economies or global financial centres. Canada doesn't attract people hating cold temperatures and snow. Canada is the second largest economy in North America. Australia is the largest in Oceania.
Don't think many people considering living in Canada or Australia are interested in the Nordic countries....If one cared about the bolded section, this would also rule out the Nordic countries.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:30 AM

6,123 posts, read 1,543,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Most of Europe, East Asia, North America even some South American countries is a few? Some one needs to learn how to count.
And Australia of course. We've competed at every one of them since 1936 (except 1948) and stand 25th on the overall medal tally.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
And Australia of course. We've competed at every one of them since 1936 (except 1948) and stand 25th on the overall medal tally.
Exactly!

Old 12-15-2019, 04:46 PM

4,590 posts, read 3,853,721 times
- Quality of life: I'm not positive, but I'll echo what others say and say comparable
- Job options/ Cost of living: I honestly can't say. I'm guessing it differs vastly throughout both.
- Educational options: I'm gonna go with Canada here-though not by a huge margin.
- Variety of cities/ landscapes: Canada has more variety of landscapes and cities IMO. Australia may have a more exotic feel ins some places-but stays much the same throughout. On a certain level, Canada does too-it just strikes me as though there is more variance.

Same for cities. Australia's big 5 are Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide. Canada's are Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Ottawa I guess? So, I think Australia can compete within that first group, reasonably well-Sydney might be the most dynamic individual city of any of these-it's harbor and global feel does it favors there-that said.. when you go back, Canada has a deeper "bench", if you know what I mean (as in: Victoria, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Niagara Falls, Quebec City, St. John's NL, Halifax, and a few others-not saying there aren't interesting places than those 5 in Australia too-it just isn't as many IMO)

- Travel options: I guess this one is hard to say-are we talking outside of the country? I feel like because of proximity to Europe in the east, and America immediately south, Canada takes this one-however, Australia perhaps has more exotic/better travel options out of country-even as they are fewer

- Diversity of people/ personality types: Gonna go Canada here-for reasons mentioned above
- Shopping/ Variety of Consumer Goods: Not really sure/hard to measure
- Food selection/ restaurant variety: I'm sure both have a good variety, at least in the big cities.

Old 12-15-2019, 05:07 PM

Canadas 5th biggest city is Edmonton, Alberta.

A River, a Bridge and a Skyline: Edmonton, AB (Image 1)
by Martin Thielmann, on Flickr

Old 12-15-2019, 05:11 PM

4,590 posts, read 3,853,721 times
Wow-surprisingly vertical skyline-I guess somehow being the capital I still attributed more status to Ottawa as a City still-but at the same time I haven’t spent a ton of time in either (Edmonton never and Ottawa one day)-so if someone were to tell me Edmonton were more dynamic/urban... I would believe it! Lol

Old 12-15-2019, 06:22 PM

24,338 posts, read 30,593,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Wow-surprisingly vertical skyline-I guess somehow being the capital I still attributed more status to Ottawa as a City still-but at the same time I haven’t spent a ton of time in either (Edmonton never and Ottawa one day)-so if someone were to tell me Edmonton were more dynamic/urban... I would believe it! Lol
Edmonton is slightly larger than Ottawa, but I would not say it feels more dynamic or urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World