Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2019, 02:38 PM

26,764 posts, read 37,673,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Neither would I, and I lived in Edmonton for three years. I never lived in Ottawa, but friends there told me that Ottawa has no nightlife, because Hull (now Gatineau) has it all. They just headed across the river, to where the fun was. Ottawa had some great places (D'arcy McGee's on Sparks Street is a favourite of mine), but under Ontario law back in the day, they couldn't be open as late as similar places in Hull, so if you were looking for late-night fun, you didn't stay in Ottawa.

The nightlife in Hull (Gatineau) was emasculated a couple of decades ago, precisely due to all the trouble caused by those Ottawa people coming over the bridges every night. We had a bit of a Frozen Tijuana thing going on here.

The nightlife scene in Hull is only modestly starting to recover, and at the moment the nightlife in Ottawa is clearly more dynamic than ours - which is normal since Ottawa is almost four times larger.

So in 2019 it's not accurate to say Ottawa has "no" nightlife. Sure it's not on the level of Montreal, or even a smaller place like Quebec City. But if you're a student, Ottawa's is a pretty good place to be if you want to have fun. (That's one criticism I'd make of it - it's a bit too focused on the university crowd. Not many places to go out for people who are over 30.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 02:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's actually on the cusp of being one of the anglosphere's and even the western world's great cities.

Many Torontonians would argue that it's already fully there but I think there are so many of these comments that it's still got a way's to go in terms of building a unique character and soul.

Personally I love Toronto. It's a great city, but I agree. Specially the last part of your comment.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:11 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,270,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL, Poor Toronto. We see people writing this on the forum over and over again.
Well Canadians seemed surprised that we liked Ottawa so much and wished we had had longer there. But then we like going to Canberra. In Toronto we ended up at the ice hockey museum, which is a long way from our normal sphere of interest! But what does Toronto have to offer? Tall buildings, restaurants, we probably missed important things.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:00 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,595,862 times
Quote:
Oh, I think you'd probably find quite a few Canadians for whom the idea of moving to Australia is very appealling.

It's not so true the other way around - though yes many Aussies are interested in coming to Canada temporarily (working holidays, skiing at Whistler, general leisure trips, etc.)
Yes, and I am one of them

I agree that there are a lot more Canadians interested in moving to Australia than vice versa if you did a poll. It is mainly due to the pleasant Australian climates

Old 12-17-2019, 04:34 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,306,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Well Canadians seemed surprised that we liked Ottawa so much and wished we had had longer there. .
I am not surprised, I love Canada's smallers cities. There is so much more to see than the big three.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:28 PM

5,892 posts, read 5,814,234 times
Quote:
This is not meant to diss Australia's diversity which is real, but I am not sure that its foreign-born figure (of which maybe a third are British, Irish, Kiwi, American or White South African people who fit in rather seamlessly) even if 5-7% higher than Canada's, actually trumps having a foreign-ish self-contained nation-within-a-nation that speaks a different language right smack in the middle and that makes up about one quarter of the country.
Canada is more diverse than Australia and been longer at practising diversity as a policy than Australia.
For example there are no Little Portugal's in Sydney to my knowledge, no Caribbean Towns as in Toronto.
British born remain far the dominant overseas born group.

Canada has the luck of having a French part which differs substantially to the Anglo part and itself diverse in other cultures.

Canada's closeness to USA adds to the geographic difference. It losses probably on climate (for many) but the heat is far from an enticement for all in Australia, during its height.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post

Really of limited meaning overall. I would suggest there are many cities within Europe that would 'fit' equally or more so than some of those listed.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Dislike of Australia and of Australians, while I am sure it exists, can't be anything but a tiny phenomenon.
Indifference to mild/considerable dislike at some of the antics of Aussies in parts of London was fairly common in my time there. If you lived close to an Aussie club or pub more so the case. The language was too often obscene. (that's just the women) and rather intolerant world views not to say somewhat racist views too often expressed. Not sure if still relevant or how relevant these days with some famous Aussie pubs now gone....

Munich found them disagreeable in antics during to Beer Festival as well. Unable to manage their large beer consumption and behaving badly. To many in Asian countries likewise in places like Bali and Thailand.

In more recent times, I've heard but not witnessed the Croatian Coast often incurs poor Aussie behaviour.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:02 PM

567 posts, read 494,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Canada is more diverse than Australia and been longer at practising diversity as a policy than Australia.
For example there are no Little Portugal's in Sydney to my knowledge, no Caribbean Towns as in Toronto.
British born remain far the dominant overseas born group.

Canada has the luck of having a French part which differs substantially to the Anglo part and itself diverse in other cultures.

Canada's closeness to USA adds to the geographic difference. It losses probably on climate (for many) but the heat is far from an enticement for all in Australia, during its height.
It's great that areas in Sydney are not really defined by race/nationality. That just helps to segregate the city. Only a part of town defined by its presence of residents is "Chinatown". But there are more that just one Chinatown in Sydney. There is a very high Chinese community and even more authentic in places like Hurstville, Eastwood, Strathfield, Burwood and Chatswood.

And definitely you can find something like Little Portugal in Sydney, it is called Petersham, there is a high Portuguese community where you can find pastel de nata, portuguese chicken etc. There is a large Portuguese event:
https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/exp...irro-portugues

There is also a high presence of people who came from Malta, and the Balkans. I would say that they are both very multicultural countries.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 AM

2,845 posts, read 2,753,909 times
Australia.

Anglo Canada can't compete on cities. Melbourne and Sydney are gorgeous, thriving, sunny, diverse, beautiful cities with massive arts and sports cultures.

The built environment in both Melbourne/Sydney is far more historic and impressive than Toronto/Vancouver, which are dull, drab, brutalist eyesores or glass-clad monoscapes.

Montreal competes favorably with Melbourne and Sydney, but alone can't
outweigh both.

In terms of landscape, Australia has Tasmania, Uluru, Great Barrier Reef, Whitsundays, Queensland Rainforests, Blue Mountains, Great Ocean Road, Kakadu. Great Barrier Reef alone is a Top 5 World Natural Wonder. If I were Aussie, I'd likely live somewhere between Gold Coast and Rainbow Beach. Queensland is a gem.

Canada has Niagara Falls, Banff National Park, Pacific Rim National Park and then a bunch of very desolate parks like Gros Morne or Haida Gwaii. There are beautiful places, but nothing that can compete with Queensland, much less all of Australia.

That said, both countries have large swathes of nothingness. Well over half of each country is desert (just sand/rock vs. snow/ice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World