U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:50 AM

1,932 posts, read 826,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
It's great that areas in Sydney are not really defined by race/nationality. That just helps to segregate the city. Only a part of town defined by its presence of residents is "Chinatown". But there are more that just one Chinatown in Sydney. There is a very high Chinese community and even more authentic in places like Hurstville, Eastwood, Strathfield, Burwood and Chatswood.

And definitely you can find something like Little Portugal in Sydney, it is called Petersham, there is a high Portuguese community where you can find pastel de nata, portuguese chicken etc. There is a large Portuguese event:
https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/exp...irro-portugues

There is also a high presence of people who came from Malta, and the Balkans. I would say that they are both very multicultural countries.
I have been on a Portugese food tour in Petersham. But you can get fabulous Portugese pastries in Gymea and many other places in Sydney, I imagine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 04:53 AM

4,862 posts, read 4,119,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
It's great that areas in Sydney are not really defined by race/nationality. That just helps to segregate the city. Only a part of town defined by its presence of residents is "Chinatown". But there are more that just one Chinatown in Sydney. There is a very high Chinese community and even more authentic in places like Hurstville, Eastwood, Strathfield, Burwood and Chatswood.

And definitely you can find something like Little Portugal in Sydney, it is called Petersham, there is a high Portuguese community where you can find pastel de nata, portuguese chicken etc. There is a large Portuguese event:
https://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/exp...irro-portugues

There is also a high presence of people who came from Malta, and the Balkans. I would say that they are both very multicultural countries.
Areas may not be termed with their prevailing ethnicity as Toronto for example, but are definitely known as such, hence Cabramatta the Indo Chinese strong hold and areas like Hurstville for Chinese as you rightly mention.
I would suggest the Maltese are in rapid decline due to age as are Baltics. The rise is mostly all in Asian communities and in a lesser extent in South American communities.

Sydney is of course multi cultural and becoming ever more so. Melbourne as well. But I feel Toronto, and figures back me up on this, that it is more multi cultural.

Whether it is or isn't better, is highly subjective. I will be able to give a more up date opinion after spending time in both Toronto and Montreal next summer.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:22 AM

24,344 posts, read 30,647,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post

Canada has Niagara Falls, Banff National Park, Pacific Rim National Park and then a bunch of very desolate parks like Gros Morne or Haida Gwaii. There are beautiful places, but nothing that can compete with Queensland, much less all of Australia.

That said, both countries have large swathes of nothingness. Well over half of each country is desert (just sand/rock vs. snow/ice).
Not sure "desolate" is a word I would describe Haida Gwaii or Gros Morne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLHC6n8Dw8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiS4u98Scx8

Or Nahanni...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWctO2iA8Wo

Old 12-18-2019, 04:10 PM

Melbourne has of recent times 'created officially' India Towns in two different locations.

But a big difference of course is the personality 'in the national stereotype measurement' between the two countries. Some similarities obviously, but few have said anything other than Canadians are 'nice' people if at times a little 'dull'.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:08 PM

14,992 posts, read 10,551,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Melbourne has of recent times 'created officially' India Towns in two different locations.

But a big difference of course is the personality 'in the national stereotype measurement' between the two countries. Some similarities obviously, but few have said anything other than Canadians are 'nice' people if at times a little 'dull'.
I'm not sure of the point you are making, unless you are unaware of " India Towns " in Toronto and Vancouver.
Vancouver has in fact, a higher percentage of Indians, than Melbourne.

The Canadians are dull bit. IMO it's a stereotyped that people who don't know Canadians, or haven't been to some of our towns and cities, believe, because they hear nothing on their news about Canada. So the assumption is, that nothing happens here.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:24 PM

10,590 posts, read 13,578,105 times
Canadians definitely know how to party. Go to any pub in Quebec or on the East Coast especially on a Friday or Saturday night and you will see lots of people out enjoying themselves! Lots of great live music too

Old 12-21-2019, 05:35 PM

61,305 posts, read 79,635,765 times
This is Shangri la
No other place on earth can touch it

Old 12-21-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not sure of the point you are making, unless you are unaware of " India Towns " in Toronto and Vancouver.
Vancouver has in fact, a higher percentage of Indians, than Melbourne.

The Canadians are dull bit. IMO it's a stereotyped that people who don't know Canadians, or haven't been to some of our towns and cities, believe, because they hear nothing on their news about Canada. So the assumption is, that nothing happens here.
The point being made is that Melbourne is following Canadian cities long established declared ethnic enclaves.
As for dull, both countries IMO suffer a little in dullness. Both not easy to connect in breaking down the reserve of many folk and a certain Conservatism of thought.
It should be noted that Australia does not feature in world news to any extent either.
None perhaps big things, but suggestive of similarities rather than differences . Reminds me somewhat of the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian clichéd opinions of one another. A bit excessive in places but not totally fabricated.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Canadians definitely know how to party. Go to any pub in Quebec or on the East Coast especially on a Friday or Saturday night and you will see lots of people out enjoying themselves! Lots of great live music too
Is there any place in the world where with the lubrication of alcohol doesn't appear to be enjoying themselves on a Friday or Saturday night?

Old 12-22-2019, 08:44 AM

573 posts, read 277,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I don't even put together Quebecois and Anglo Canadians on the same group. Quebecois are more fun and interesting people. Ask them and they don't even call/considerer themselves "Canadian". It's just a passport for them to travel overseas but not part of their identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World