U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 11:04 AM

10,592 posts, read 13,589,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I don't even put together Quebecois and Anglo Canadians on the same group. Quebecois are more fun and interesting people. Ask them and they don't even call/considerer themselves "Canadian". It's just a passport for them to travel overseas but not part of their identity.
Not just Quebecois but also East Coast Canadians as I mentioned, so not necessarily a language thing. Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians definitely know how to party. There are so many pubs for the size of the cities there. Go to St. John's or Halifax on a Friday and Saturday night and practically every single one of them will be packed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 01:33 PM

6,425 posts, read 5,665,546 times
[quote=deneb78;56922331]Not just Quebecois but also East Coast Canadians as I mentioned, so not necessarily a language thing. Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians definitely know how to party. [/QUOTE]

They represent a very small part of the Canadian population. You are not helping the cause writing things like that. LOL.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:36 PM

15,004 posts, read 10,563,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
The point being made is that Melbourne is following Canadian cities long established declared ethnic enclaves.
As for dull, both countries IMO suffer a little in dullness. Both not easy to connect in breaking down the reserve of many folk and a certain Conservatism of thought.
It should be noted that Australia does not feature in world news to any extent either.
None perhaps big things, but suggestive of similarities rather than differences . Reminds me somewhat of the Danish/Swedish/Norwegian clichéd opinions of one another. A bit excessive in places but not totally fabricated.
I've never been to Australia, but this surprised me. Are you saying that immigrants in Melbourne didn't naturally settle in the same neighbourhoods like Little Greece? Or are you saying that Melbourne is following Canada by naming these areas like Little Italy, Chinatown etc, even though they already existed?

Canada I believe is much less conservative than Australia. Reserved perhaps, but the VAST majority of Canadians do not identify as conservative.

As for Australia, I can attest that in media in the US and the UK, Australia features more prominently. You are more likely to see a reference to Australia than Canada. Both exist of course, but in my experience you can read a news report on almost any anglosphere subject, and they will mention Australia, more times than they ever mention Canada. Also the personality stereotypes are very different between us. Australians have a reputation for being gregarious and loud, while Canadians much less..unless at a hockey game or pub

Old 12-22-2019, 04:15 PM

[quote=UrbanLuis;56923373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Not just Quebecois but also East Coast Canadians as I mentioned, so not necessarily a language thing. Newfoundlanders and Nova Scotians definitely know how to party. [/QUOTE]

They represent a very small part of the Canadian population. You are not helping the cause writing things like that. LOL.
Along with Quebecois, they are almost a third of the population

Old 12-22-2019, 05:54 PM

4,862 posts, read 4,122,968 times
I suspect Quebecois may present a more intellectual tait to their character than their Anglo countrymen. No real evidence as never been to Quebec , but certainly true with the French beside their European neighbours the English.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:13 PM

4,862 posts, read 4,122,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've never been to Australia, but this surprised me. Are you saying that immigrants in Melbourne didn't naturally settle in the same neighbourhoods like Little Greece? Or are you saying that Melbourne is following Canada by naming these areas like Little Italy, Chinatown etc, even though they already existed?

Canada I believe is much less conservative than Australia. Reserved perhaps, but the VAST majority of Canadians do not identify as conservative.

As for Australia, I can attest that in media in the US and the UK, Australia features more prominently. You are more likely to see a reference to Australia than Canada. Both exist of course, but in my experience you can read a news report on almost any anglosphere subject, and they will mention Australia, more times than they ever mention Canada. Also the personality stereotypes are very different between us. Australians have a reputation for being gregarious and loud, while Canadians much less..unless at a hockey game or pub
I am saying what I stated. Melbourne has designated two areas as official India Towns (localities) It obviously is to a large extent already home to a substantial Sub Continental population but will now become officially recognised.

Areas where earlier European migrants have broken up due to many within those groups, moving into a more suburban setting, following the native born example. Besides there are obviously less of them as one generation passes on and fewer newer migrants come from countries that were once prominent.

I would agree, as already stated that Canada is less conservative than Australia. Australia, to my mind, is far too conservative for its own good.

Other points exactly. Australia gets far more coverage in UK, if not EU in the media.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:03 PM

[quote=deneb78;56924283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Along with Quebecois, they are almost a third of the population

So basically you are saying this small population of Anglos on the isolated far eastern coast of Canada, along with Quebecois are the best examples you can think of? Nothing better in the other two thirds of the country? LMAO.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:43 PM

[quote=UrbanLuis;56925739]
Quote:

So basically you are saying this small population of Anglos on the isolated far eastern coast of Canada, along with Quebecois are the best examples you can think of? Nothing better in the other two thirds of the country? LMAO.
No, Canada is not like Latin America or like Southern Europe in terms of nightlife but it's not that bad if you know where to go.

Old 12-22-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:

No, Canada is not like Latin America or like Southern Europe in terms of nightlife but it's not that bad if you know where to go.
I guess you're right. The nightlife in st Johns newfoundland is much better than Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, Winnipeg or Vancouver, but its not that bad if you know where to go.

Old 12-23-2019, 02:58 AM

7,622 posts, read 6,043,423 times
I think the general rule of thumb is that Australia's salary is higher and job opportunities are slightly better, but Canada has far better politics and a stronger social safety net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World