U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 06:16 AM

24,336 posts, read 30,586,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugartooth View Post
- Australian cities are a bit more uniform in terms of culture, language, infrastructure, structure, even immigration make-up. Canada I've been told has a bit more variation among its cities.
This is an excellent observation. In Australia sure some groups are more present but in Canada there is a huge discrepancy between immigrant groups and which cities they tend to settle in.

And it's not just the French-English thing, which does of course play a huge role in the dynamic. Montreal has a huge number of people from France and from former French colonies. Cities in the other provinces (with the possible exception of Ottawa) only get a trickle of these people.

On the other hand, Vancouver has tons of Sikhs, Toronto has a lot too, but Montreal has very few.

The big cities of central Canada have lots of blacks, whereas there aren't that many in Western Canada.

Even Italian immigrants and their descendants are rare in Western Canada, whereas you have the classic new world Italian immigration pattern going in on in Montreal and many Ontario cities.

Ottawa and Montreal have a huge chunk of Canada's Lebanese population. They are much less present elsewhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 06:25 AM

573 posts, read 274,242 times
I have lived in both. Australia is better.

Salaries in Australia are better, min wage in Australia is almost $20 dollars. I think in Toronto (the most expensive city) is only $14-15. And nobody pays the min wage in Sydney. There are also penalties if you work on weekends, public holidays, etc, etc.
Annual leave is 4 weeks, in Canada is only 2 weeks.

Healthcare?
Australia also wins. I can book a GP online and see her/him tomorrow for free. I had terrible experiences in Montreal.

Weather?
Australia. I much prefer Sydney smoke for a few weeks than -30C for a few months, where it hurts to breathe. Really horrible experience. You need to prepare too much, clothes, cars, house, etc.

Infrastructure
Look at their airports, public transport systems and roads, its all outdated (in Canada). Only Vancouver has a nice metro. Montreal hasn't built any new line for so many years, it is so corrupted. Their roads are horrible. Toronto subway? It is such a lame subway. Sydney is building a lot of infrastructure, same Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

People?
This is subjective. I really like French Canadians, very nice and friendly people. Although it is a bit racist. Australians are also nice, but people aren't that friendly. It takes time. Both are very multicultural societies and to be honest I have found really nice people and *******s in both countries. But I think it's so cool that Montreal is so bilingual. Anyway, Canada wins but because of Quebec. If you would compare between Anglo Canadians and Australia, I prefer Aussies.

Education?
Australia. You get an allowance if you are student straight forward, you don't pay any fees for university studies until you start working and can pay it back through your taxes. Although, Quebec has cheaper tuition fees.

Variety of cities/landscapes
I prefer Australian cities, I find them more beautiful. But I prefer the landscape in Canada

Travel?
Canada is good for Europe and South America. But Australia is better for Asia (which I find more interesting) plus with more income and holidays available Australia wins for the average person.

Food options?
Defintely Australia. The supermarkets are WAY BETTER, super modern, really fresh quality. In Quebec they sell milk in plastic bags (yuck), you can't even use self-check outs. I hate the tipping culture and that taxes are not included. The seafood in Sydney is amazing, I also prefer the restaurants and the markets.

As much as I liked my experience in Canada, Australia is much better. Also, if you are a permanent resident of Australia or citizen, you have unlimited access to live, work, visit New Zealand (which is also an awesome country) so you have 2 X 1 - Canadians don't have anything like that.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is an excellent observation. In Australia sure some groups are more present but in Canada there is a huge discrepancy between immigrant groups and which cities they tend to settle in.
Should have read "some groups are more present in certain cities or states".

Old 12-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post

Infrastructure
Look at their airports, public transport systems and roads, its all outdated (in Canada). Only Vancouver has a nice metro. Montreal hasn't built any new line for so many years, it is so corrupted. Their roads are horrible. Toronto subway? It is such a lame subway. Sydney is building a lot of infrastructure, same Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

I totally agree about public transit. What's there in Australia in terms of urban rail isn't always fancy, but it's way more extensive than what we even have in Toronto and Montreal.

In fairness after many years or even decades of doing little to nothing Canadian cities have begun investing again and building up their rail-based transit networks, or creating them where there were none. Though I'd say we're still just in catch-up mode when compared to a country like Australia. Montreal actually has the biggest project in the country which double the amount of trackage the métro currently has. Though it won't double the number of stations as the new REM network will mostly serve areas that are less dense than the inner city.

https://roulezelectrique.com/projet-...e-respiration/

I don't know if it's you or someone else who mentioned it but Canada's highway network (especially divided expressways) is quite a bit more developed than Australia's. The smoothness of the road surface you're driving on is better in Australia regardless of the class of highway, but that's mostly due to the toll that winter (freeze-thaw cycles) takes on asphalt in northern climes.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:30 AM

290 posts, read 94,536 times
I absolutely hate US style suburbs, which also seem to dominate the landscape of Canadian and Australian cities, they are like prisons for the soul and places of isolation for the masses.

I find Australian suburbs from what I have read and spoken to people that have visited, to be much more humane than Canadian ones.

From my understanding Australian suburbs actually have some form of public transportation, Enabling people to move around Without having to drive a car, allowing them to interact like humans are supposed to do.

Canadian suburbs are more like American ones, vast expanses of asphalt Void of any culture, Or trace of an actual interactive society.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:48 AM
Status: "Peace, order and good government" (set 28 days ago)

6,425 posts, read 5,640,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
I have lived in both. Australia is better.

Salaries in Australia are better, min wage in Australia is almost $20 dollars. I think in Toronto (the most expensive city) is only $14-15. And nobody pays the min wage in Sydney. There are also penalties if you work on weekends, public holidays, etc, etc.
Annual leave is 4 weeks, in Canada is only 2 weeks.

Healthcare?
Australia also wins. I can book a GP online and see her/him tomorrow for free. I had terrible experiences in Montreal.

Weather?
Australia. I much prefer Sydney smoke for a few weeks than -30C for a few months, where it hurts to breathe. Really horrible experience. You need to prepare too much, clothes, cars, house, etc.

Infrastructure

People?
This is subjective. I really like French Canadians, very nice and friendly people. Although it is a bit racist. Australians are also nice, but people aren't that friendly. It takes time. Both are very multicultural societies and to be honest I have found really nice people and *******s in both countries. But I think it's so cool that Montreal is so bilingual. Anyway, Canada wins but because of Quebec. If you would compare between Anglo Canadians and Australia, I prefer Aussies.

Education?
Australia. You get an allowance if you are student straight forward, you don't pay any fees for university studies until you start working and can pay it back through your taxes. Although, Quebec has cheaper tuition fees.

Variety of cities/landscapes
I prefer Australian cities, I find them more beautiful. But I prefer the landscape in Canada

Travel?
Canada is good for Europe and South America. But Australia is better for Asia (which I find more interesting) plus with more income and holidays available Australia wins for the average person.

Food options?
Defintely Australia. The supermarkets are WAY BETTER, super modern, really fresh quality. In Quebec they sell milk in plastic bags (yuck), you can't even use self-check outs. I hate the tipping culture and that taxes are not included. The seafood in Sydney is amazing, I also prefer the restaurants and the markets.

As much as I liked my experience in Canada, Australia is much better. Also, if you are a permanent resident of Australia or citizen, you have unlimited access to live, work, visit New Zealand (which is also an awesome country) so you have 2 X 1 - Canadians don't have anything like that.

Montreal has and is improving their transportation system. So is Toronto.. SO you are wrong about that. Most Canadian super markets do have self checkout. Also you're comment about Anglos, that is your experience and that is fine but unless you have spent considerable amount of time in Anglo Canada. How would you really know?

Old 12-12-2019, 09:50 AM

[quote=backpaker;56846207]

From my understanding Australian suburbs actually have some form of public transportation, Enabling people to move around Without having to drive a car, allowing them to interact like humans are supposed to do.
QUOTE]

All Candian suburbs have public transportation.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Montreal has been improving and expanding its transportation system for a while now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NmCvfUonkA

Old 12-12-2019, 09:58 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUchIMdsVN8

Old 12-12-2019, 10:00 AM

[quote=UrbanLuis;56846374]
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post

QUOTE]

All Candian suburbs have public transportation.
Yes, every major city and even the smaller ones have transit service in their suburban areas.

I said that transit is generally better in the main cities of Australian and this is due to the presence of more extensive legacy rail lines which have always been used for urban passenger services.

But I seriously doubt that Woollongong has this amazing transit service in the city and suburbs and that Regina has basically nothing in comparison.

Last edited by Acajack; 12-12-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World