Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I find this weird too. I value the time alone in our private room. But we have kids so being able to get away alone together is a special thing for us. It almost seems like a relationship issue to me.
No relationship issue. My husband is cheap.

Hostels do have private rooms and we have stayed in them. I just don't see the appeal, especially for people like us.

College kids, sure have @ it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it depends on the hostel, or the hostel system. "Youth hostels" are for all ages, and many have private rooms for an extra fee. Some are on cushy estates that were donated to the International Youth Hostel system, when the owners passed away, others are in very nice, large homes on beautiful grounds in breathtaking locations, where the owner converted a wing of the house into a hostel. Some are in castles. You can get remarkably nice, scenic accommodations for almost nothing. The one downside to the IYH hostels, is that they close between mid-morning and mid-afternoon, to discourage vagrancy.

Then there are backpackers' hostels, which are open all day. I don't know much about those, except that they have shared kitchens, which the IYH hostels don't have, but I don't know what the locations/buildings are like.

People of all ages may enjoy the sense of adventure involved with booking some of the more unique locations, others may choose hosteling for the camaraderie often encountered among fellow-travelers. Still others may figure, that the more money they save by staying in hostels, the more traveling they're able to afford, OR the stronger their retirement account will be for the money saved. (In your example, they're only in their 30's, so they have a long way to go still, to reach whatever their retirement goal is, and there may or may not be kids in existence, or planned for the immediate future.)

Have you ever stayed in hostels, OP?
We have stayed in hostels in South America. Wasn't a fan. We met some 19 year olds. Didn't care for the experience.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We meet other people while traveling and have great conversations. That’s totally different.
We do too and I am ok with that.

What I don't like is the college kid, party atmosphere of hostels.

Also I find we meet older more sophisticated people at nicer hotels. We have met only college kids @ the hostels we've stayed at. Why would I want to hang out with people like that?

Nothing against college kids, I was one once lol, but I will be 40 soon. I really don't enjoy it.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Maybe he just wants to save money... Just because you can afford something, doesn't mean you should spend your money on it. It sounds like you and your husband have different priorities when it comes to travel.
A hotel for me is more than just a bed. Staying at a nice, clean, comfortable, private place makes the trip much more enjoyable. IMO, it's worth spending money on. I also don't insist we stay @ 4 & 5 star hotels, I am ok with 3, but staying in a bad place really can put a damper on the vacation for me. My husband doesn't see it that way cuz 'you're not in the room anyway other than to sleep'.

But I like to be cozy at night time.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
We have stayed in hostels in South America. Wasn't a fan. We met some 19 year olds. Didn't care for the experience.
I don't think I'd do hostels in Latin America. There are cheap enough regular hotels in most places, that it's not necessary to nickel-and-dime to the extent of getting a hostel there, unless maybe you can get a private room, and the hostel belongs to an association that maintains certain standards.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Why would any married couple in their 30’s who is well-off stay in a hostel?

Please explain this to me.

My husband loves hostels. We’re close to 40. I don’t understand it.

Does any other couple like us do this? What is your reasoning for it?
BTDT...

DW put her foot down while traveling in France with our 9-11 yr old kids...

NO MORE HOSTELS!!!! (She was weirded out by the co-ed showers... "Hey babe, come on in!") Darn...

(Our kids called Hostels 'Foster Homes for College Kids'... and our kids had a great time at hostels...

(30 yrs later...) Rare occasion I can get her back in a hostel, but I really prefer to use Ft Mason in SF than a Hotel.

but... we travel a lot (>50% of the time) and I dislike hotels with a passion (too many yrs business travel and so impersonal / lonely / little valuable experience / information.) I also had a friend that cleaned hotels after murder / suicides... It is quite common... that was info I didn't need to have shared by him.

I travel to experience other cultures and to meet interesting people. That doesn't happen in a hotel.

suggestion:
1) Plan out your trips... (hopefully they are often)
a) Do some in Hotels and some in Hostel (or let him go solo on Hostel trips.) We have taken many trips separately / DW likes to travel with her sisters, friends, and parents. That's fine, go have a blast!
b) Offer to pay for the hotels out of your own stash...
2) Find out why he likes Hostels and figure out how to meet that need.

Consider other options...

We also tent, car camp, and have a mini RV, but by far most of our travel is still "Hostel Like" via fly / drive
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

200+ days traveling last yr ... most nights (worldwide) were Guest homes (of all types)... often a Mother-in-Law suite (separate wing of home / guest house), sometime hosts leave a key for their home with a neighbor (because they are traveling themselves). The views / homes / food / information sharing / fellowship / friendships have been wonderful (for last 30 yrs). BTW: I really dislike Air B&B, as it is a totally 'different' experience to have a host with a 'profit' motive, vs a host with a 'Hospitality' focus.

Your style is likely different than mine or your DH.

Our kids liked resorts with swimming pools more that they appreciated getting up at 4AM when we stayed on dairy farms. (I preferred the Dairy Farms).

DW likes Room Service... That's fine, I'm gone on an adventure during that time.

Grant DH some freedom and BOTH of you can enjoy vacation!

Old 01-23-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BI really prefer to use Ft Mason in SF than a Hotel.
This sounds interesting. Could you tell me more? Is there a hostel at Ft. Mason?

Old 01-23-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
BTDT...

DW put her foot down while traveling in France with our 9-11 yr old kids...

NO MORE HOSTELS!!!! (She was weirded out by the co-ed showers... "Hey babe, come on in!") Darn...

(Our kids called Hostels 'Foster Homes for College Kids'... and our kids had a great time at hostels...

(30 yrs later...) Rare occasion I can get her back in a hostel, but I really prefer to use Ft Mason in SF than a Hotel.

but... we travel a lot (>50% of the time) and I dislike hotels with a passion (too many yrs business travel and so impersonal / lonely / little valuable experience / information.) I also had a friend that cleaned hotels after murder / suicides... It is quite common... that was info I didn't need to have shared by him.

I travel to experience other cultures and to meet interesting people. That doesn't happen in a hotel.

suggestion:
1) Plan out your trips... (hopefully they are often)
a) Do some in Hotels and some in Hostel (or let him go solo on Hostel trips.) We have taken many trips separately / DW likes to travel with her sisters, friends, and parents. That's fine, go have a blast!
b) Offer to pay for the hotels out of your own stash...
2) Find out why he likes Hostels and figure out how to meet that need.

Consider other options...

We also tent, car camp, and have a mini RV, but by far most of our travel is still "Hostel Like" via fly / drive
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

200+ days traveling last yr ... most nights (worldwide) were Guest homes (of all types)... often a Mother-in-Law suite (separate wing of home / guest house), sometime hosts leave a key for their home with a neighbor (because they are traveling themselves). The views / homes / food / information sharing / fellowship / friendships have been wonderful (for last 30 yrs). BTW: I really dislike Air B&B, as it is a totally 'different' experience to have a host with a 'profit' motive, vs a host with a 'Hospitality' focus.

Your style is likely different than mine or your DH.

Our kids liked resorts with swimming pools more that they appreciated getting up at 4AM when we stayed on dairy farms. (I preferred the Dairy Farms).

DW likes Room Service... That's fine, I'm gone on an adventure during that time.

Grant DH some freedom and BOTH of you can enjoy vacation!

We usually compromise and do some hostels and some (nice) hotels … but I really don't understand the whole hostel thing.

I like Airbnb. It feels like you have an apartment in the city. It almost makes you feel more like a local. Either way a host is getting money.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't think I'd do hostels in Latin America. There are cheap enough regular hotels in most places, that it's not necessary to nickel-and-dime to the extent of getting a hostel there, unless maybe you can get a private room, and the hostel belongs to an association that maintains certain standards.
We got locked out of one in Nicaragua. They say they are 24 hour except there's no reception and you just ring a bell to get in. This was @ 9pm. Rang the bell. No one ever came out. We slept outside in front of the place until it opened the next morning. At least it was warm out. Managua of all places, LMAO.

But my husband still loves hostels … :::shrug:::

Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
We usually compromise and do some hostels and some (nice) hotels … but I really don't understand the whole hostel thing.

I like Airbnb. It feels like you have an apartment in the city. It almost makes you feel more like a local. Either way a host is getting money.
This actually is a good point, if you can afford Air B&B. It started out as a cheap alternative to hotels, but morphed into something more expensive. Probably not so expensive in the developing world, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World